Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So many great goals and moments like outmuscling Stones against Man city in the 4-1.

The title winning season though he was absolutely vital. I'll never forget last minute goals at Selhurst Park.

The goal I'll always remember him for though was the winner against Wolves away in January 2020 - that was the moment I allowed myself to believe the title was ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I know we destroyed city in that Match, but it was 4-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Have we got another Coutinho?

I didn't realise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Good to see both clubs coming together to try to stop offensive chants

That said, I've been to a few United matches, including one at Old Trafford and their fans are far from the worst.

I always block out their two late consolations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

^THIS *** This the problem that Liverpool have failed to address over the last good few seasons, with Firmino going they now have no dedicated Strikers. Playing attacking midfielders as No9s will not work long term, of all the AttMids Mane was the closest to someone who could play up front naturally.

No big serious club can really be successful without a main and back up striker, like Shearer/Sutton, Kane, Benezma, Drogba, Ledonowski or Lukaku (<great striker went he plays, but his agent likes a transfer and is a 'head' player, (if his heads not right he doesn't turn up). Pool have been getting away with it for a number of seasons). This is an issue that Klopp has not addressed.

Bobby will be missed, has been a great player for the club but his form(plus injuries) mean he probably should have sold already.

Henderson should follow him out the door or move upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Regarding midfield options in the summer...

Is Rice nailed on to Chelsea, or would be be a decent option as well or instead of Jude?

Different players obviously, and there would be an England premium, but he'd tick some boxes - young, home grown, can play in different positions, can play ball, and with only a year on his contract, there might be a deal to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think West Ham hold an extra option on Rice's contract.

I dunno what it is, but Rice just never strikes me as a Liverpool player. He also struck me as a Chelsea player. He seems like a Chelsea lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Newcastle have won once this year. Think we can forget about them as a top 4 challenger. We're fighting spurs for that spot. Think we'll get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United pay 70m for a 31 year old Casemiro,and pay him 400k a week, while we let 31 year old Firmino walk for free. Sums up the two clubs, it's not smart, as Firmino is still valued at 35m

Rafa in studio for City Newcastle game, he just said '' I bought a top striker at Liverpool, wife wasn't happy , I had to sell him 6 months later'' I dunno who he's speaking off

Newcastle losing is good for us, regardless of what happens tomorrow, it's good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Newcastle played well today, quite naive to rule them out of the race already, they were bound to have a dip especially considering who they've played recently.

We're not going to go on some amazing run like previous seasons with that woeful midfield we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Keane left cos Rafa acted the boll1x with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Wolves gone one up against Spurs. 7 minutes of normal time left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Goal for Wolves

Arsenal win it in last moments, that's big, we've done that a few times on the way to winning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Win our two games in hand and we'd leapfrog spurs on goal difference.

Just saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Brighton shouldn't be discounted yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

They shouldn’t, but we can only look to where 4th currently is and we’re right in the fight for it.

I suspect 4th can be gotten with a relatively low points total this year with Chelsea being nowhere. Mid 60s might be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

They're still to play City and United at home and travel to Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.

Realistically, if we catch Spurs/Newcastle I can't see Brighton catching us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Realistically if we get top 4 this year, I'd put it up there Klopps best achievements considering the dross that's been served up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I wouldn't, considering he was at the helm for the dross that was served up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Nah our 2021 run to get top 4 was better imo. We had just lost 6 games in a row at home so was worse than anything we have done this season and we needed to win 10 games in a row to guarantee ourselves top 4 and we did it including an injury time winner against West Brom from our keeper, and that was all done without our first choice centre backs. (I know it turned out we actually only needed 9 of the 10 wins we got but we didnt know that at the time and still got the 10 out of 10)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Good day of results for us. A win tomorrow and we are buzzing going into the break.

Even a draw is not the worst, especially considering we still have to play Spurs at home.

That Bournemouth game is actually big. Need a win there as the 3 games after it are very tough. City Chelsea & Arsenal all within 8 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I was just going to post something on this. We need to get a win tomorrow and next weekend. Our run of games after the international break is horrible! Away to City, then away to Chelsea, Arsenal at Anfield and then away to Leeds!

I'm not hopeful about tomorrow at all either TBH. We have been drawn into to many false dawn's about Liverpools return to form this season and I feel this is another. Yes the results the last 4 games have been good but the performances are still not there. We really need to show up tomorrow as UTD will be well up for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Eh,klopp is the one serving up the dross is he not,he shouldn't be applauded for it surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If it's between spurs and us for 4th we are well capable of it and can go on a run. Win tomorrow would be the catalyst to the rest of the season. 4 wins out of 5 would be the best form in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think too much is being read into our last few league games; Everton, Palace and Wolves all struggle to score, so keeping clean sheets against them should be viewed in that context, Newcastle are the only decent side we've played in that run, they were down to 10 men early in that match and still should have got something out of it. United are a huge step up from that opposition and will be hugely motivated to keep their own momentum going and inflict a damaging result on us.

I'd love if we won 3 or 4 nil ( highly unlikely), but, it would be even sweeter to get a scrappy 1 nil win.

I'd go with 5 in midfield tomorrow, with Nunez up front on his own

______Alisson________

Trent_Konate_VVD_Robertson

_Henderson___Bajcetic

Salah____Firmino___Jota

________Nunez________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've said it before but Hendo and Fab don't have 90 minutes in them any more so I'd get them to play 45minutes each. Play Eliott and Bajectic and play high-energy. Make sure Cassemiiro has someone up his arse every time he receives the ball. I'd do similar up front and maybe play Bobby and Gakpo for 45 minutes each - Jota has looked rusty since coming back from injury.

I think I'll watch most of this match through my fingers but at a rocking Anfield, I still think we can win today. Man Utd are not that fcuking good - they are just better than us right now.

The way results have gone this weekend, 3pts would be absolutely massive. The fact that we could simultaneously torpedo any Man Utd title talk would be very satisfying .

Post edited by facehugger99 on

Also Newcastle have scored the least amount of goals out of any team in the Premier League in 2023. Only the 3 so far...

Didn't realise Newcastle had scored so little lately, so our recent run of clean sheets just so happens to coincide with playing 4 teams currently struggling to hit the net. We'll see today if our defense has really improved or was it the weak opposition that was the main factor.

Just wondering will Arthur make the bench today, apparently played a full 90 for the under 21's recently, so shouldn't be too far off returning. Obviously lacking match fitness so probably not the match to introduce him, but, would be great to have another midfield option for the remainder of the season ( if he can stay fit 🤞)

That's why I'm refusing the get carried away with the latest revival. We couldn't have played a better 4 teams with regards to our defensive woes. Until we show some steel against a team with a genuine attacking threat I won't be getting to worked up. We saw what happened against Real and to be honest UTD are actually a much bigger threat than Real on current form.

Hopefully we see Artur soon, obviously for the player himself it would be a welcome boost to get on the pitch. But I'm genuinely interested in seeing what he can offer for the remainder of the season.

Obviously if Arthur gets match fit and can stay fit, he'd pretty much walk into the team as midfield is so poor at the moment, my biggest fear with him is will he stay fit, it's why I couldn't understand why we signed him in the first place, it backfired spectacularly, but, wasn't really surprising.

Toay will tell a lot about where the team really is, it has the potential to be very damaging. I think this is a game Klopp needs to adjust tactics for, pack midfield, rather than sticking with the usual tactics as I think United can pick us off in a similar manner to Madrid.

Yes today will tell all. If it's a repeat of the Madrid fiasco where they actually looked like they could score anytime they got on the ball in our half, that could be very damaging for the remainder of the season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Not a fair comparison. United had no-one in midfield so had to sign a 31 year old for 70m and pay him 400K per week. He is also only in his first season and if there is a drop-off in his level they will have a very expensive player on their books who is not worth much.

We should probably have gotten rid of Bobby earlier for some cash, but we can let him go this summer as we have Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Gakpo and Jota. You can only have a go at us for not letting him go last summer for some cash, not for anything else really. I doubt many were saying we needed to sell him for cash though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Quite a few fans I have spoken to are confident about the game today. Personally I think that they are deluded and simply in denial that Man Utd have got their sh!t together since appointing Ten Hag as manager. They are the in form team in the league at present: 24 points in their last 9 games, scored 20 goals and only conceded 6. They eliminated Barcelona in the Europa League, the team that just beat Real Madrid in the first leg of the Copa del Rey Semi-Final at the Bernabeu.

Meanwhile Liverpool have scored 10 goals, conceded 11 and picked up 14 points in the last 9 league games. Our recent run of games against toothless opposition has flattered us. Real Madrid took us apart and Man Utd are more than capable of doing the same.

I expect us to lose the game today for the simple reason that I don't see us being able to match them in midfield and we have been gifting the opposition chances all season. To win the game we will need to play a lot better for an entire game than we have to date all season and I don't see that happening.

And Bobby's goals in the first half of the season will probably wind up being more valuable than any fee we would have got.

That's not including any contribution he makes from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Yes united could be the greatest team of all time to be 3rd in the premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

God I hope we win today if for no other reason than to stop this weird "United are amazing, we can't compare, aren't they just so wonderful" talk that's plagued this place the past couple weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Oh god, Henderson, Fab, & Elliott midfield. Not gonna be a good day

Hendo had to start to at least try and help Trent with Rashford.

However, also terrified of Fabinho and Elliott against United's midfield.

Edit: Looking at the bench, short of playing Milner or Bobby deep, weren't alot of options. Jones and Carvalho aren't really options there for me in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

On red cafe they think they title is still in their hands and they will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

That midfield will be completely overrun. Will be watching from behind the couch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement