Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours! How do ye get on with yours?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very good neighbours in my immediate environs in my apartment complex in the inner North suburbs of Dublin. I know four of them very well and we all look out for each other without being in each other's faces.

Chap in his 70s in the top apartment in my block is a total gent. Very intelligent, open-minded and good company. We became good acquaintances within a year of my moving in here in 2015 despite my very bad drinking sprees at the time. Fit as a fiddle at 76 as he cycles every day and keeps very active tending to the communal veg and fruit allotment in our complex. Has my partner and myself up to his place for dinner the odd time or he sometimes comes down to our place for dinner or a cuppa and a catch up.

Elderly lady next door who was one of the very first residents here back in the 1970s is quiet as a mouse and very sweet - but I do check on her from time to time to see if she is okay, needs anything etc.

Married couple on the other side, both late 30s with an 8 year old kid who is a really well behaved lad. They are sound.

The couple who live in the apt above ours are rather noisy in terms of banging things but otherwise are grand. We have been very fortunate.

When my drinking was out of control when I moved in here, I suppose that I was the problematic neighbour but I never played loud music or had the cops call round or anything. I just suffered in private and would be seen staggering drunk into my place at times - but two neighbours here used to sometimes call in with hot food as they knew I wasn't eating much at the time at all.

That's real neighbourly spirit. 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Last two paragraphs are beautiful. Sound load of people you got there.

I'm the quiet neighbour. Just go about my business. Have a quick chat (mostly under duress), but not upset and most are sound. I'm just happy to be left alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That sums up what neighbours are in an ideal world. Long may it continue for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

and occasionally I have been here when needed... Like when a neighbour banged at my door yelling" EVACUATION!" as someone had lit a bonfire that was endangering several houses including mine. He had no idea who to call to get help. On a small island fire rapidly becomes a danger for several reasons as happened here once when several houses burned down. The islander who would usually handle this was off island and the neighbour had no idea who to call... I made the call and fire dealt with very efficiently by the coastguard, fire service, R118 and Gardai .. a few other smaller occasions so I now have my niche of usefulness within the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Neighbours are perfectly civil but don’t allow their kid’s play with ours despite being in the same class, it’s regrettable but East Galway is the most clannish place in the country and neither my wife or I are seed , breed and generation

thems the rules

That is dreadful. The children are the hope of future integration... The first time I visited the island to look at this place I was sidelined by the ferryman seeking t o know my (Irish) pedigree. I do have two separate distant connections in Ireland from generations ago and I took it in good heart. As a good future neighbour should...I am very self sufficient so as long as i can get supplies etc..And as the years pass openings to be of actual use arise. Takes time ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I wouldn’t call it dreadful, the kids have plenty of friends at school and playdates, our kids and the neighbours kids do know each other at school but just no visiting each other’s house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

It’s half three of a Sunday. Mother in law on her third visit of the day……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

50 sheep on the left, 6 horses on the right and me in the middle with my greyhounds & cats a perfect place loads of trees small birds foxes and pheasants, no humans absolute bliss !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I live in rural Ireland in a small townsland. Everyone knows everyone and their generations past.

I love it.

We all look out for each other. I have the key to several neighbours houses for emergencies.

I know that if I had an emergency at any time of day or night, within minutes I'd have someone from several houses on the doorstep.

Post edited by Purple Mountain on

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’m not surprised that this sh1t is still going on in rural Ireland. It’s those children that I feel sorry for. Your parents are supposed to nurture and encourage you in life, not shelter you into ‘sticking to your own’.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Its probably more prevalent in GAA mad rural communities - particularly if you are a "blow in" or if you or your kids don't partake or have any interest in the local GAA club you would be marginalised....a pretty narrow minded view - but it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Exactly. Wouldn’t want a ‘blow in’ taking their little Johnny’s corner forward position on the under-12’s team. You’d think there was pro contracts up for grabs when the kid turns 18 the way some people treat the GAA.

Anyway, end of my OT rant.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one lad near us, the last time i spoke to him (probably 5 years ago) ended with him roaring '**** THE NEIGHBOURHOOD AND **** YOU TOO' at me over the garden wall.

i was passing by and mentioned to him that he needed to do something about his large dog barking all day and all night. i'd been warned he might not react well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I get on well with most of my neighbours except the ones next door. The father is a very petty man. If we have visitors and anyone parks anywhere along the line outside his house, he will take his car out of his driveway and park up close to our visitors car.

Good hedges are a must when you have bad neighbours. You generally don’t even see them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

We live in an old estate where the median age of the homeowners is about 65 !

We moved in a year ago with 2 young kids and hoped they wouldn't be too noisy but a couple of the old neighbors commented to us that they loved hearing the sound of kids playing again in the estate after so many years after all their kids had grown up and move away years previous, so that was nice.

We live in a semi D built in the late 50s or early 60s and we can only every now and again hear a low noise coming from our attached neighbors.

Funnily enough though, we know a lot of the other neighbors quite well now but the couple attached to us we've only ever spoken to briefly and wave etc. if we're driving out at the same time or something like that, that suits us fine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That's crazy, change the locks and make MIL ring the doorbell to get in. As for the garage, change the lock and only you have the key. They need to learn some boundaries.

And neither you nor your wife have to be eternally grateful for getting a site to build on.

And as I cannot get to the Tuesday Lunch Club over the water, he brings it to me... A generous container of a good simple meal I can heat in the microwave, and a pudding! LOVE puddings... One of the loneliest things can be always needing to cook your own food.. Enough for two days it is! Sheer luxury.. NB emerges I am the oldest person out here! Which is respected..

And the hats are spreading! In this weather...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭brokenbad

That would drive me nuts - once a week is even too much to look at the In laws!

Be glad there are ways of dealing with the dog issue without contacting the neighbour as you have tried and he has refused! He has made a rod for his own back. Poor dog. Needs better care than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I hate having neighbors on the other side of the wall. You can't turn up your music etc, or they complain.

We get on alright other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭gussieg

have been here about 6 years, the majority of us all moved in the same time, im very lucky to have lovely neighbours beside me which is a blessing as our doors face each other, which can be a pain for them, i guess im probably one of the annoying neighbours , but they are very good to the cat and the dog adores them.

guy on the other side of the wall is a 30 something bitter twisted mean piece of work. constantly doing and saying awful things to me and others but is cute and stays inside his flat mostly when roaring and shouting at us, so gards said nothing can be done about him, because he is inside.

there are two other yokes living in flats by themselves, one little runt scratches peoples cars at night, mine says 'c**t, i added WHAT A and and exclamation mark at the end.

he also abuses people verbally. but the biscuit was taken by a girl who has not been seen in 3 years , but place still there. she had me tormented , and went out of her way to get myself and another tenant here thrown out, basically because she was bored . if she had put that energy into doing something good , couldve been really helpful.

then a couple who moved in during covid who fight very loudly every so often, he has a real attitude and shouts loudly when stressed, but oddly its often her that gets taken away by the gards.

another guy walks about at night like he is on duty doing manouvres , very troubled.

in the 6 years that ive been here, ive had quite a lot of stuff stolen from me, bizarre items, and then some more valuable , sets of keys going missing, portable gas stoves (2), huawei p40 pro and gt2 matching watch, passport, dogs passport, car log books, gifts from my son to me that were personal and had no value to anyone else, old coats , crochet cardigan my mother made , socket sets, odd little things .

could write several books about them.

there are others here too who are decent lovely people and thanks to the mystery person who leaves the bones in a freezer bag by the door , they are highly appreciated .

As you may gather, several here have come off the 'sheltered' housing list, but still that is not licence to make other peoples life unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭patmahe

We get on fine, mostly nods and waves, the odd chat, I've helped jump start their car, they've dropped over parcels that get delivered to wrong address, that sort of thing. The people across the way are nice, invited us over for a couple of glasses of wine when we moved in first. None of us are particularly close but I'd help them if they were stuck and I'm sure they would do the same. All good normal people.

Back a good number of years ago I lived in an apartment complex (a pretty high end one that wasn't cheap) and an ahole in the next block used to come home out of his head on something with a gaggle of his 'friends' a couple of times a week and blast crap music all night. We complained multiple times but it only ever stopped for a short while and then started again, it was hell, it went on like that until we eventually couldn't take any more and left.

Long story short I appreciate good neighbours because I've had bad ones.

Actually just to add something, my Dad passed away recently and the next door neighbours were extraordinary, brought food every day and kept us company but crucially knew when to leave too. Really really good people, it blew me away because its not the first time with them. Kindness in a time of need stays with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

C*nts to the right of me and idiots to the left. We're living in a Dublin suburb and while its a lovely house and nice neighbourhood we seemed to have picked the worst house on the street to buy.

The rest of the neighbours are nice and we get on well with them. Every year its something with them. Every single time they get something done to their house we have to clean up ours, be it paint on our car or when they get their drive power washed. There is zero consideration for us.

They've even gone to the extent of intentionally damaging our property recently and the Gardai have been involved. We decided after 5 years we need to start saving for a deposit on our next house. It's not worth the stress anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

I'm a culchie so the neighbours are a field away on either side. Neighbours on one side don't talk to me because of some land dispute their great grandfather had with my great great grandfather or something to that effect, neighbour on the other side is great - we actually have the keys to each others houses and keep an eye on them when the other is away.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

get on great with mine... dont talk except for hi,how are you exchanges...best neighbour ever...8years and sometimes we still dont even talk..

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

Advertisement