Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I need to take a couple of tranquilizer before entering the local aib branch here.

Was passing a branch in a town in Co. Galway recently and popped in to lodge a small cheque.

The staff there were pleasant and helpful and greeted everyone with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I often wonder is the attitude of the leader reflected onto the workers? I’ve had to deal with a company recently (new to us) everyone was good to deal with until we met the boss, who was a d..k, then some (not all) of the others took personally changed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sad to see Harold Kingston selling out the cows, I read in an interview lately that he had problems from long covid. He also said he couldn't face another spring He was also on the Late late show talking about depression.

People say to me that I look too well to be retired to which I reply 'your body will tell you when to stop' so likewise in his case, He's young enough too.

I daresay, with his profile in IFA on environmental issues he shouldn't have to settle for a future in farmwork

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is that the bank with the big life size cardboard cutout of the manager near the shafting, sorry service counter? At least now we can lodge a cheque in the atm without having to go in.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was talking to a farmer yesterday he moved to aib from ulsterbank.ie before Christmas. He moved to permanent tsb this week, too much crap with aib

• Advertisement

Sad to see also that Joe Parlon ,Toms brother ,died yesterday. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Can't say I've seen any issue with AIB, find their online app excellent

Just listening there on news, every day 18 tonnes of raw sewerage is pumped out on the clare coast. It's going to take at least 2 years to stop this wtf. Blame the farmers blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Let out some younger weanlings today. Will go in again tonight. Never let them out this early before. Too good to be true, in my book.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Seems Ireland is currently in drought, and it's the worst (or best depending on how ya look at it) in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Will take a drought this time of year and abit of moisture in the summer anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its winter rainfall that recharges water resources across Western Europe, so even a summer with averge rainfall could spell alot of trouble for many in this region(including parts of this country)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Great weather today. Everyone out at slurry at the minute. Got one tank stirred and emptied here. Trying to improve things by measuring and testing. So today it was slurry spreading. Timed a few loads being emptied and also measured the spread width. I then fed this info into the Mastek app on the phone which calculated the correct speed for input application rate. Aimed to spread at 3000gal/ac.

Another difference this year was that tank was stirred before anything was lifted out of it during winter - rather than old method of pulling out a load of water as the tank got close to top. Was so much easier to stir and spread. Ground is drying out well.

Then fixed some gate hinges. It is 100 times more difficult to weld with the old helmets that don't have the auto dim. Welding was a hash, so I've abandoned until I get a battery. Luckily it was nothing requiring strength - just filling some blanks, so what I've done will suffice - for a small bit of welding there was an lot of grinding to get it looking presentable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Was said some year's ago now, " water is the new oil " doubt them reservoirs in the uk, shown on the television last summer in drought, have risen much since.

Granted we had a wet backend here, not a lot of rain since late November. A bad omen anyhow, as weather seems to run in 3 month cycles of very wet, then dry,even exceptional so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Drought is fairly severe already across much of Europe, if it isn't a wet spring much of the continent is going to be in trouble for water in ways that we haven't seen in our life time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Weld to grind and grind to paint is one i heard recently.

Better living everyone

Great game on in anfield atm

Has anyone tried Supersoil? Would it be an alternative to fertilizer on meadows?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - don't think anyone saw that result coming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

After 3 years of dodging the bullet, today I tested positive for Covid. Feck sake.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@patsy_mccabe it's not that bad, a day or two feeling crap. The having to isolate was the biggest pain but don’t know what the story is with that now. Take it easy if you can for a few days, some paracetamol and you should be fine Patsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

No. There was talk about it recently on the fertiliser thread. Seemingly mixed results with majority saying little or no difference.

A shame as I was really interested in this. Someone did mention that teagasc were testing it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Our good friend and neighbour got a stroke yesterday morning. Another neighbour found him lying on the kitchen floor when he called in for a visit. Some of ye will know about him through my previous posts about the quality suckler cattle that he breeds. It's an awful shock as he didn't appear to have any health issues.

Similar happened to my father, stroke paralysed him down his left side, What age is your neighbour,

It's vital to get the clotbusters in quick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have a pack here to try on meadowlands.

Been reading lots about microorganisms on and off for last few years and mess about in the garden and tunnel.

there’s no talk on the pack but my mind these products would need to be spread in damp weather or with light rain. Many of these microbes will die if left in the air to dry out. I’ll be hoping to spread when they will get a chance to be washed down onto the soil surface.

am also going to try milk/molasses mix as a microbe feed on another test patch.

we added microbes to the slatted tank this winter. Looking down into tank now it’s at a higher level the crust definitely appears different with a fair amount of fine foaming visible rather than just a solid layer, will be interesting to see if that follows to easier agitation. It in theory also leads to more microbe activity in the slurry being applied to soil which I feel has been a disadvantage of slurry compared to farm yard manure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Speaking of Banks, BOI wont let you transfer more than 20k in a day....

Ulster bank was 50k i think...

I have to pay a farmer for a good number of stock....i dont want to be drip feeding paying him...bad practice...

Off to the branch to transfer the money.....ballache.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement