Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slavaslavcoleslaw

while I agree with the sentiments... sitting in the grey favours Russia... so unfortunately, even though people like to make out theirs 3 choices, when it comes down to it, it's a binary choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

And here is something for people who are calling for an end to fighting and peace talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A Ukrainian fighter pilot who shot down five Iranian drones in one day has said he could learn how to fly a western jet within a few months – and help his country act as “a safe shield for the world” against Russian aggression.

Maj Vadym Voroshylov, a well-known figure in his homeland, said he believed it would take “up to three months to learn all the combat tasks” given his years of experience of flying in a Soviet-era MiG-29.

Engineers could learn how to repair a jet like an F-16 in a similar time, the Ukrainian pilot added, because “ground crews can be trained simultaneously”, in an interview as part of Ukraine’s latest lobbying campaign for military aid.

Anyone thinking he's exaggerating his own skills and capabilities, is wrong.

He noted the United States is ready to start training Ukrainian pilots at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi and possibly in Texas as well. It would take about three months to train the pilots to fly the F-15s and F-16s at a basic level.

Who is this idiot 'he' who is suggesting it would take 3 months instead of the years that Rishi Sunak claimed? He was until very recently a Republican rep. who sponsored a bill to train Ukrainian pilots. He's Adam Kinzinger, currently a Lt Col in the USAF Wisconsin Air National Guard. He's been a military pilot for years who also served in the Air Force Special Operations Command, Air Combat Command, and Air Mobility Command.

Oh but he's just one experienced pilot, the Whitehouse said different, or some other politician or mouthpiece trying to shut down discussion on the topic quoted the longest time the military would actually stand by as possibly being correct.

No he isn't. The US Air National Guard have been training with and doing joint exercises with the Ukrainian Air Force since the 1990's. 29 years of joint operations and experience.

An American pilot who's trained with Ukrainian fighters for decades argues they have been 'underestimated' at every turn in the war... "The Ukraine air force has the pilot corps to fly these types of advanced aircraft," Col. Rob Swertfager said. "The Ukrainian pilots are fantastic. I've flown with every air force in Europe – especially their regional partners.... I'm the Operations Group Commander for the California F-15 unit. One of my duties is to challenge and evaluate ability to fly combat aircraft. My professional assessment, and I've been sharing this with lawmakers this (last) week, is these guys are more than capable of flying our aircraft. 100 percent... Juice, who was given his call sign while training with the California Air National Guard in 2018 after repeatedly ordering juice instead of alcohol when out with his American comrades, said the Ukrainian pilots could be trained up on modern American planes in a three to six-month period... When questioned about this relatively short training period, Swertfager backed the suggestion and said he would roughly estimate that a four-month training program would suffice.

An F-16 instructor has said training could be as short as 69 days.

I actually don't think the F-16 is the plane the west should be looking at to supply to Ukraine. Barring F-15 strike eagles, I think Australia's 46 surplus f-18s are the ideal aircraft:

F-18 aircraft can operate from Ukrainian airfields, without their reconstruction - aviation expert Romanenko...

Valerii Romanenko, an aviation expert and senior researcher at the State Aviation Museum, says that Ukrainian runways are made of slabs with gaps between them, and F-18s have stronger landing gear than F-15s and F-16s

“The main technical problem for which the American partners do not supply us with their aircraft is known. It consists in the fact that their F-15 and F-16 will not be able to operate from our airfields. Because our runways are made of slabs with gaps between them, and the landing gear of these warplanes just can't handle it. In my opinion, we need to do short-term planning and we should ask our allies to provide the F-18, because this aircraft has a much stronger chassis and it would be able to operate from our airfields, without their reconstruction,” the aviation expert noted.

This Youtube discussion about what western fighters would be most suitable for Ukraine mentions the F-18 as being more suitable than F-16s.

I think the A-10 would also be perfect if they had air-cover from F-18's which have good radars.

The most critical issue in this topic is the training of the pilots. It needs to be done now and it should have been begun 6 months ago if for no other reason than as a contingency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Russia stirred up separatism in Donbas and created false flags (attacked civilians and blamed Ukrainians) so they would have an excuse to invade. I have no time for them.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

If it's only a few people, then they're not dominating the tone of the conversation and therefore shouldn't be fixated upon to any great degree.

There is the flip side to online discussion which is that in the apparent pursuit of balance, you'll have those popping up to question what should be/have been accepted facts, i.e. is the earth really round? Regarding this discussion, I've no time for those trying to add nuance to the issue of Russia invading Ukraine and being apparently prepared to lay waste to the whole country if need be. If Russian soldiers are coming to Ukraine to take territory and kill anyone who gets in their way, it shouldn't be at all surprising when many of them may meet their end in that pursuit. That kind of carry-on can make the locals angry, apparently. If Russia leaves Ukraine tomorrow, no more of their sons have to die and Russia still is a huge big country with plenty of territory for its own benefit and advancement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

It's still grey though because that black or white choice can't be as clean cut in the context of views on Russian civilians. I completely agree with the binary black or white when it comes to the invasion being wrong and unjustifiable, but the grey I was referring to comes in when you have to acknowledge the mass of land behind Ukraine that is home to millions of civilians. Stating "Russia needs to burn" is stating Russian civilians need to burn, which is madness and this is what i'm talking about.

The eye for an eye approach was taken by the Allies in WWII with aeriel bombings on civilian infrastrucuture in Germany and Japan. The debate continues today on whether the likes of the Dresden or Tokyo fire bombings were justified, with more siding to agree that it was excessive and immoral as time goes on. The emotions that war can stir has led to mass murder in the past, that we really only appreciate once the dust settles.

So any intentional move to kills civilians is wrong in my view and the fair game should remain as targets with military significance only.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And look at the shenigans they'd started in Moldova going back to 1992 waaay back any of this nonsense about NATO expansion.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That loud sobbing sound you hear is Zelenskyy and Reznikov as they view this video of the US equipment in Poland awaiting shipment back to the US.

FFS!

Great to see. Did someone not say it was going to be months before they arrive?

• Advertisement

That is not showing US equipment for Ukraine arriving, it's their equipment about to be shipped back to the US.

Oh...

I'm not up to speed with this, why are they being sent back?

The units have been on deployment in Europe for a while and are being rotated back.

I'm no expert in shipping logistics but surely this equipment has come from equipment within the European continent, no? They hardly paid for them to be transported to Poland and then back home to the US, across an ocean. That'd be baffling if somehow true.

Ah OK. Must be some operation transporting that kind of weight and size back home to the US, you'd think it would make more sense to leave them where is and have the relevant technicians come to them. Maybe the latter approach isn't politically palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Maybe the calls for a 'Mercy' evacuation of Bakhmut were an indication that their own supplies are running short and they will have to stop their attack soon?

Wagner showing concern for Ukrainian civilians? I think not.. When Percival surrendered Singapore to the Japanese he didn't know that they had only a few days ammunition left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I read somewhere that there are already Ukrainian pilots in the US being assessed on simulators how as to how long it will take for them to learn to fly the f16

edit: Missed your last post regarding this

Given US intelligence's performance so far in the Ukraine war, which has been fairly on the money, they probably can make a reasonable estimate on exactly how long Wagner can maintain offensive operations against Bakhmut and pass that information on to UAF command.

Unfortunately the official story goes that the US is only assessing how well they can fly simulator versions of their own aircraft, and not any US fighters.

Speaking of inexplicable aviation craziness involving fighters, this is quite weird:

The Russian bomber SU-34, shot down over Donbas, lived in Morozovsk on Zelenskiy Street.

Oleksandr Bondarev was the pilot of the SU-34 shot down near Yenakiieve, Gorlovka district, Donetsk region of Ukraine.

It was possible to find some data of the liquidated:

lived at the address Morozovsk, Rostov region, ul. Zelenskiy 83, sq. m. 76

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Prigozhin showing mercy????? There isn't a merciful thought in his head, never mind a merciful bone in his body!!! The welfare of the people in any place's he has attacked so far has never bothered him. There's method in his madness,, low ammunition, or its getting increasingly difficult to get troops to commit suicide by attacking Ukrainian machine guns in Bakhmut. Has to be borne in mind now also that he's fighting on two fronts now, Bakhmut in front of him, and the Kremlin at his rear.

• Advertisement

What I find comical about the whole situation is the fact that there are these private Russian armies in Ukraine at all. They're sort of independent of the regular Russian military but yet seem beholden to the Russian state for supplies, so they are in effect like a rogue battalion. It'd be like if you were watching the Falklands war back in the day and you saw that the British government decided to let Mad Mike Hoare get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

I think that its more understandable when you treat Russia as a mafia state, (which is what it is) with Don Putin as the Capo de Capo. Under the Russian Constitution, private army's are illegal, but Prigozhin serves Putin as a deniable branch of Government. And he's a very good source of income too. In any country he was or is working in, he has also being massively stealing from. Once a criminal, always a criminal. The world will be a much better place the day he leaves it and returns to where he came from IE: Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yes, but what's your point? Militaries use flight simulators when training pilots and to keep skills honed.

Putin's oligarchs lost $95 billion after the February invasion, writes The Guardian. Each day of sanctions for the war in Ukraine cost Russian oligarchs 330 million dollars. Roman Abramovich suffered the most, his fortune decreased by 57% to $7.8 billion.

That's a shame.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed. They'd prefer to ignore thousands of qualified people in a multitude of disciplines, while taking the word of some no name on youtube or twitter for easy answers that appeal.

I have noticed that while all Russian supporters are certainly not conspiracy nuts, pretty much all conspiracy nuts are Russian supporters. If you see anti vaccines/big pharma/NWO/big government/WEF/Elites, even moon landing was fake types(a guarantee of someone on the wrong side of the IQ bell curve) and general Right wingnuts, with a sideorder of "Red Pill" eejits, it's a near 100% given they're going to be gung ho for Mother Russia.

My own conspiracy nut take is that Russia has spotted these trends and fringe groups and has purposely "weaponised" them for use in their wider Western spin campaigns. Just like they did in Cold War 1 with leftist, anarchist, even peacenik fringe groups. The beauty about such types is they'll do it for free, to "expose the TRUTH!" that the "MSM" aren't telling you. While Bill Gates makes your missus you don't have sterile as part of the Vaxx Plandemic.

On the Mainstream Media(MSM) a chap I know buys into this stuff. Lovely bloke otherwise by the by. Anyhoo, one day a while back he was going on about the MSM and I pointed out to him the Fox News(which he thinks is OK and not "woke") is one of the most watched media outlets in the world and the Daily Mail is the most clicked news outlets online and if Americans are so "woke" why did half of them vote for a gobshíte like Trump? I asked him how mainstream does a media outlet need to be for him to avoid it? When he went on about Russia being conservative and traditional* I suggested he look up their rates of abortion, atheism, divorce and compare and contrast.

*Tradition; the peer pressure of the dead, too often getting in the way of progress.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The point is it's only simulator time.

Not going to do Ukraine any good in the near to distant future,

It's going to take more than 3 week's to lean how to fly any western aircraft, along with the various advanced training for air combat maneuvers and percision strikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement