Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How many of you would support the boats being torpedoed in international waters?

Be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

There are now 3 asylum seekers taking the Irish government to court over housing. They are claiming that their rights have been breached.

I hope they win. I hope the government are held to task by all of the asylum seekers who have no accommodation.

And I hope that those people are housed in my street and on your street and in your building and in every town in the country. Own door accommodation while Irish people who cannot afford their rent or own houses see it happening with their own eyes.

That's what it will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Physically trying to prevent people entering a country seems a waste of time and resources. By all means, tighten up asylum procedures but things like Trump's Wall and intercepting boats at sea seem more like PR stunt stuff by governments rather than a serious attempts to manage a refugee crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Poster was talking about hundreds of millions entering Europe.

My comment is related to his scenario.

I'm open to hear your take on "managing"

Have you ever seen Europes border wall? Trump could only dream of something of its scale.

We can't manage 50,000.

We can't manage our own

EU summit just last month:

"The EU that once largely dismissed border walls as a crude Trumpian solution is vowing to channel “substantial” funds into frontier guards and surveillance equipment, as countries ramp up calls for help paying for their border fences"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

What is the perception about Ukrainians vs other refugees? Generally.

Personally I think we have to support a democratic European nation.

Given out appalling record during WW2 we can't turn out backs again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes something needs to be done on the Med crossings but good luck stopping them. Remember these people will be absolutely desperate. What about those that cross water in containers or commercial boats? It's big business for criminal organisations already. As I said, the EU is a sieve. The policing required will be immense. Currently all the pressure is on Italy, Greece, Turkey etc.

The EU won't stop the mass migration though. It's like saying you will stop drugs getting into Ireland in large quantities, impossible.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - @DeadHand threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Great to hear that oodles of €millions are to be spent on Thornton Hall and elsewhere to provide modular housing for asylum/refugee folk.

Now that's something that will take the pressure off the hotels and allow them have a tourist season, albeit an expensive one for the visitors. I am also sure that Joe and Mary and their three kids on the housing list this past five years will be delighted to hear this news. They won't mind waiting around for a modular home, or a home of any sort for their family. Nope they will surely not mind who gets housed before them. Of course, to say anything else immediately labels them as Right Wing racist activists. Correct? So they keep their mouths shut and join the the bewildered and brainwashed.

I think this is inaccurate. If an Irish family was living in a hotel they would get priority. It also depends on where these homes are. It might not suit said Irish couple to live where these modular homes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭thegame983

step 1: Build 'temporary' modular housing for migrants

step 2: create new class between homeless & working class that live in these modular shanty towns.

step 3: use housing crisis to transition as many native irish to this new way of living

step 4: turn Ireland into one large favella owned by a vulture fund.

step 5: profit

• Advertisement

Why are you quoting my post and going off on some unrelated rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Time to get the emails going to our EU Parliamentary representatives - MEPs to get their views on this. It seems to me that EU policy on migration is not being realistic about the issue. I can imagine the response...

Ireland as far as I know has a potential exemption/derogation regarding the numbers we take in, sorry not sure where to find the reference. However once again, that is completely ignored. At least the fact that there is a derogation or exemption is acknowledgment of the fact that some countries may find it extremely difficult to support all arrivals. I am not sure if the exception applies to refugees (Ukraine) and/or asylum seekers. Guessing it is refugees. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong.

I think most people just want fairness, and a logical response to the issues being caused all around the country, but not in Dublin 4 and the likes of course. I reckon that many of the commentators who label objectors with the R words do not have to suffer the consequences of it, and probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

And still O'Gorman finds the time to divert funds away from migrant integration and instead towards LGBQT. His public service know no limits. The FFG leadership never complain about him either. We are truly blessed by this govmt and "modern Ireland" ;-)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/roderic-ogorman-raids-funds-to-push-11m-to-lgbtq-projects-42370318.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From what I understand, the whole issue of derogation from EU law on asylum seekers is seen as very controversial. Critics warn that allowing this to become the norm could cause all manner of problems for the EU further down the line, with the same 'rogue' member states seeking to opt out of other EU laws as well that are not even connected to migration. They also argue that a non unified approach on migration law could be very problematic for the stability of the union (the whole point of EU law is that it applies equally across the EU27 - not having countries dipping in and out of laws they like and don't like).

Ye are listening to too much Nigel Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

Which hotel? I'm sure you can name it... if the story is true of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm delighted to hear it, the whole thing needs to crash and burn for the Government to realise we just can't keep taking people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

I see the hotel Killarney is going back to tourists soon. The little stabbing misunderstanding at Xmas didn't help the poor crayturs getting another year.

I'd say the hotel owners can name their price nowadays to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

You think Male on Female violence is a 'deflection'? You need to pull your head out of the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd say the hotel owners can name their price nowadays to the government.

Well this is the thing: if the government offers them whatever they would be getting for full occupation (plus a premium?) would most hotels, even generally busy ones) not go for that rather than take their chances on the open market?

• Advertisement

If there are three hotels in a town and two are booked up by the State, the third one knows it has even more leverage to price gouge the ordinary punter. You're kidding yourself if you think they are doing it for any kind of altruistic reasons for the local economy.

The important thing is despite hotels screwing people the government decided to allow them to keep the lower Vat rate for the summer

Putin must be delighted with some of the posts here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,271 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We were sold a pack of BS…this country is no longer a democratic European nation.

The Ukranian people were coming here for… ‘Temporary Protection’. Right. I called bôllocks on that from minute one.. Temporary Protection status will be replaced by giving them citizenship. Told and sold temporary, but it was and will be permanent. I said this to a friend a few months ago having believed it all along and their suggestion as a compromise would that this would be put to a referendum, which it won’t be, because the government, NGO’s, the left and the Ukranians themselves won’t like the answer of that democratically decided outcome.

100% of this has been undemocratic, unfair and underhanded. So for the government to offer a say, to let the people decide ? Hahaha , not a fûckin chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

I heard his generals are doing their nut about the amount of time he spends on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

I agree. Putin invaded Ukraine on 24th of February 2022 and people started to flee. Five weeks later, Darragh O'Brien is talking about building PERMANENT homes for them.

"Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien said: “A lot of what we're going to be doing is taking maybe old commercial stock, old State stock and converting that into apartments or homes.

“We are going to have to look at providing permanent housing solutions in that space.

“We could potentially require up to an additional 35,000 homes over the period of time should we be looking at a permanently accommodating"

Completely and utterly bizarre. You're right, we do not live in a democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You don't police migration like that though. What you do is you make it impossible to live in the country without having a regularised status. That means no amnesties, no tenancy without status, that means no work without status.

Ordinary illegal migration isn't the main issue - it's the refugee status that is. That status places the burden on the State to support the individuals. Take away the support and the problem largely resolves itself as one only has to look at the fall off in arrivals here since capacity was reached and consequently the welfare offering becoming less enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Hey folks nothing to worry about shur it will be grand .All Ukrainians are working and at school in Fermoy. They are not taking jobs or adding to class sizes .You hardly notice them like one of our own .You can't get enough of a good thing .

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41085379.html?utm_source=irishexaminer&utm_campaign=41085379&utm_medium=lunchtimenewsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

You see, that makes me sad because Irish people are genuinely kind and generous to people in need. I've seen it in the local response to the Ukrainian war. The problem is that we are being taken for absolute mugs by our own government plundering our resources to accommodate every chancer in the world and shoving their own people aside. That kindness and generosity will be gone.

Advertisement