Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 3x03- 'Seventeen Seconds' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

3 for 3 so far, if they can get past the next episode without falling off a cliff we’ll be doing better than the previous seasons.

I’ll echo that Crusher’s reasoning for keeping Jack is pretty off character, especially the ghosting the whole TNG crew without warning. It could still be that these were all lies, and Jack isn’t actually Picard’s kid, but for now I’m going to assume he is his kid given the Wrath of Khan theme in much if this episode.

The Raffi scenes just make my heart sink each time I see them. The Worf stuff is good but as soon as I see an establishing scene of a dark city street full of people I have to struggle with the urge to fast forward.

It’s always the same damned thing:

• Raffi has to find someone
    • She needs to shake them down for info
    • There’s gangsers
    • «Drugs are bad, m’kay? Don’t do drugs»

At least the reveal at the end of the Raffi segement was good. I wonder if these renegade Founders have their own renegade Jem Hadar? It’s nice to finally address the Dominion War again. I hope there’s more of this.

Most definitely but you then have to own that internal logic, of the show. Can't then turn around and have Crusher use the, for the universe, mundane to ambush Picard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

I meant that the main crews generally lead much more exciting lives than the typical starfleet officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭McFly85

Lower Decks plays this for laughs - they are part of a mundane crew doing boring missions while referencing the legendary enterprise missions and all the cool stuff they get to do - but it works there as it’s knowingly taking the píss.

But Picard is taking itself seriously so it’s odd that everyone has to continually reference how great they all are. They are talked about in the same way as the Avengers are talked about in the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Good action episode but the pacing is starting to worry me as we're still stuck in the nebula and are no wiser to what vadik's motivations are. There seems to be this thinking in modern tv writing that prolonging a mystery will keep viewers engaged (pun intended) rather than frustrate them with a lack of information. I too agree with the character assassination they've done to Dr Crusher. Her decision not to tell Jean-luc feels very out of character in order to contrive this knock-off "wrath of khan" scenario for Picard. In a similar way to WoK they've tried to reframe the Ent-D & Picard's adventures as some short of action-packed, phaser packing, continual shoot outs which feels entirely at odds with the actual show itself. Just getting back to WoK we knew what Khan's motivation for revenge was - it helped the audience understand his obsession with Kirk. With Vadik we have a character we've never met before and we're supposed to care about their motivation for some sort of 'revenge' without anything to go on.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I know people said the dark settings are to hide setting flaws or something like that but how does discovery get around that?

How does any show get round that?

Or is it really a style choice??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Discovery is either really dark or has horribly obviously CGI looking super white settings. They are also now using a very cheap looking green wall.

The only real way around it is build loads of sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Or have people focus on the actual acting. But Discovery is missing high quality acting bar Saru and couple others.

Look at ST:VI the sets were a shabbily mess of TNG stuff, but no one cared cause the film was class.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I wouldn't say it's the acting at all. Disco has had a bunch of actors I thought were brilliant or at least good in other shows.

It's the writing and direction they are given that's shocking.

Episode 3 is quite good..half way through.

Yeah they are rehashing old stories but my time is shorter now and it's comforting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

"Continuing Adventures of Raffi 'n Worf" For the LOVE OF GOD NO!!!!! STOP. PLEASE....

Or I will use more exclamation marks and capital letters!!!

I was watching this while working on something else. But found that poor enough. My (usual, overvalued) tuppence worth:

The Good:

• Effects work. Looked great.
    • The scene with Picard and Beverly WAS great, I must admit. Especially by Picard.
    • The nod to Odo

The bad:

• Have they never played Portal? Seriously? All they were missing was a sarcastic AI slagging them off.
    • I really don't like that Jack guy or his portrayal. Well, that's not fair, the actor's probably fine but he is SO unlikeable. His protection of Beverly comes across as creepy.
    • Beverly is coming across as also being a bit insufferable. Especially with the CMO of The Titan.
    • Junior officer just turning up at Seven's place. Really? Smacked of trying to set up another love interest for Seven.
    • They spent a lot of money on the Titan set so they are going to get as much use out of it as possible I suppose
    • Riker's hesitation. I get it. I know why they brought it in and what it's about but it came out of NOWHERE. Last season(?) Season before(?) Can't remember or care. Anyway, he turned up with a fleet ready to kick ass and take names with a smile on his face. Now he's Burnham. I swear to God, if he starts internally-monologuing...
    • Please stop trying to de-age Patrick Stewart. It didn't work in X-men. It didn't here.
    • Raffi's still around

The Meh:

• Something a bit off about Worf. I get it, he's supposed to be calmer etc. It's not that. It's his line delivery. I can't put my finger on it but it's not quite right.
    • Shouldn't the Changeling have been able to morph out of the cuffs? Or alter appearance during the (boring) chase? I may be wrong about this. It may be an effect mentioned in DS9 of being away from the Link for so long or having not reverted to fluid for so long - Worf did mention this. (Which is why I put it in "Meh" as opposed to "Bad").
    • "Captain, The Shrike is doing this" and "Captain, The Shrike is doing that" etc. As if to constantly remind us that, yes, the evil ship is called an evil name and is therefor evil. Surely it would be easier to say "Captain, Enemy is doing this" or "Enemy is doing that"

Half of me is hoping that O'Brien turns up at Daystrom Institute. Half doesn't. 'Cos if he does, it will also be not-quite-right.

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

The changeling didn't change because they didn't want to give away the fact that it's the changelings behind the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they'd changed shouldn't they have easily been able to take out Worf and Raffi?

So I thought it was more they couldn't due to not having reverted to fluid sufficiently.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I thought it said clearly that's why he didn't change. Nothing to suggest they could easily take out the 2 lads. Outside of red shirts the changelings haven't faired that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I doubt it. Colm Meaney has not acted in Star Trek in years and I do not think he has shown any interest in going back either. He does not even remember any of the lines he would say in DS9. To him it was just a job.

He was not the biggest Trekkie unlike say Brent Spinner or Patrick Stewart who really ìmmersered themselves in there character and loved it. What I mean is they loved there characters but Colm Meaney just done it as a job.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, and as far as I remember he was asked around the time of the Lower Decks tribute and said something along the lines of often if you go back after so long you end up ruining the experience and character.

Bit sharper there than some of his fellow allums!

Yeah but...... money!!!

😀

And, hey, that's not a criticism. It's appalling how fast I would sell out if I were him:

"Hi Colm. We'd like you to come back for one cameo in one episode"

"Nah, yer grand, thanks. I'm done with that. Cheers though."

"We'd pay 50K for 1 day and fly you fist class to LA and all the trimmings"

"I got me uniform in the hotpress. Calling a joe to the airport this second!"

Maybe but he seems the least likely to come back. I've heard him talk about things like he knows his complete lack of social media costs him jobs. He generally seems an outlier in the acting world.

He seems pretty happy with what he is doing.

He's, slowly, been leaning more into the post Trek acting world. Appearing at more conventions and less grumpy when interviews move towards Trek.

I'm enjoying it. To see riker again. Fantastic. He should have had his own show. Stewart is too old and his acting has declined.

As to Beverly I think people change. So I'd say it was in keeping with her current phase.

We all know it's a rehash of Wrath of Khan but star trek has done that before and why not.

It was a loose end from the next generation. She should have been in Season 1 with the kid but I will take it now.

My main beef is still the dark sets. Come on spend the fxxxx money people!

• Advertisement

Given that Discovery was cancelled probably due to money certain things are starting to make sense. Like having a season in contemporary LA or a season that seems based around a few ship sets.

Hey, if cancelling Disco, not continuing Picard and cancelling Section 31 (PleasepleasepleasePLEASE!!!!!!) means that this makes Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks and Prodigy more stable and high priority then great (I know initially P+ had intended to ALWAYS have a Trek series running). I know it's harsh on the cast and crew but hopefully this means they can move on to other projects/work.

As long as it doesn't end up like when TNG ended and Berman started sticking his nose into other shows.

The unleashing for Kurtzmann and Paradise might not be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is there any young Japanese heritage actor with a decent Dublin accent? If La Forge has a daughter in Starfleet, it makes sense that Molly and/or her younger brother might be going through the ranks by now.

Any east Asian would do. Rosalind Chao is Korean and accents aren't genetic she had a pretty neutral American accent in the series.

O' Brien is actually listed as being from Kerry.

He must have moved up to Dublin at a young age with that accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If accents aren't genetic, then how do you explain Jack Crusher-Picard? 🙃

Ya in fairness after we all slagging it off the show did make a point of explaining it the next week.

The O'Brien kids always had generic American accents or maybe that was the very American sounding Bajoran accent.

• Advertisement

As long as MY-ELLLLLLLLSSSS doesn't appear

Advertisement