Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late bar for stag

• 02-03-2023 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi.

We are in Limerick next weekend for a stag party and just looking for recommendations for a late bar for the Saturday night, preferably with live music but anywhere with a decent buzz will be fine. We will be eating in the hotel earlier so don't need anywhere with food. Just hoping to find somewhere to book an area in from about 9pm to keep us all together for a while anyway.

Most of us in our 30s with a few older gents also - 18 people total.

I rang Nancy Blakes who said they don't take stags, and I'm waiting for a reply from Jerry Flannerys.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I would think somewhere like House, with nightclub (Amber) downstairs will be a safe bet till the wee hours. As for late bars... 101 will prob be open till 2.30am - but the bouncers are meant to be absolute clowns. Both House and 101 are more trendy bars - not "live music venues" or "classic pubs".

Also worth a mention is the new sports bar, Hunters... but again - closed at 12.30. I'm not sure if the "club" next to Jerry Flannery's is still operating? 1314? It was an extension of the bar - open until 2.30? The commercial is another bar - just up from it.

Nancy's was a cracking spot back in the 90s/2000's but not so much now... Mother Macs (run by 2 local brothers) is a super "pub" and is only up the road, could be a good kick off spot? Did I hear that "d'Icon" (nightclub opposite Nancys) was back open?

I wouldn't bother emailing or booking a "pub" as they'll prob red flag ye - just rock up in 3 or 4 separate groups!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Thanks.

Where would you recommend for a good pint of Guinness? Just for 1 or 2 early enough for a few of us.

Ooh... assuming ye are staying in the city centre? Pop into Myles Breens or Flannerys next door. The Guinness in mother macs shared "best pint in Limerick" tag with JJ Bowles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭peter4918

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Melody in Foxes Bow has late djs and music Fri and Sat, they do good beers etc , a stag party there would`nt be a bother and near Mother Macs ( Which is a fantastic spot for a few pints) Tom Collins gets a shout also for the black stuff, great pint of stout there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Id say probably about 3 months now, good to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

On the other end of the scale, are there any early houses around the city? May find myself at a loose end when the missus is getting a spa treatment when I'm over in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Murphy's beside the train station and the horse and hound are 2 centrally located ones

Bit of a bump rather than starting a separate thread. Looking for recommendations for:

• best cocktails in town (in a casual, non-pretentious setting)
    • beer garden with a respectful clientele
    • somewhere with a bit of an atmosphere to watch the FA Cup final (Flannerys?)
    • somewhere with live music, generic pub setting.

Heading off this weekend, and with the weather forecasted to be good, I cannot wait and want to get my ducks in a row. Have no knowledge of Limerick City's social scene at all- the only place I ever drank in it was a popular student night club/late bar on the roundabout near UL circa 2006-08!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Nancy's will cover the first 3, bank holiday weekend so a lot of places will drop live music to fit more in.

Ah yes.. The Lodge (@kilmurry hotel) LOL

Will try keep ye all in the same part of town with my replies... though who knows what way some door staff will react... esp. with Bank Hol...

• best cocktails in town (in a casual, non-pretentious setting) House, 101, Savoy hotel...? but maybe a bit pretentious for a load of lads... but plenty of buuurds.
    • beer garden with a respectful clientele. 101 have an outdoor 'secret' garden, though a bunch of lads may be after a more 'Nancy's' vibe?
    • somewhere with a bit of an atmosphere to watch the FA Cup final (Flannerys?). Maybe try Hunters sports bar (get fed while ye are at it)?
    • somewhere with live music, generic pub setting. Can't go wrong with the Locke... Especially with the sun out!

Few links

FYI - Hunters have an arcade next door which may kill an hour or 2... break up the drinking...

https://www.facebook.com/hunterslimerick/

https://101limerick.com/the-secret-garden/

Thanks for the suggestions, but there might be confusion, I was bumping the original discussion as opposed to starting a new one. It's me and the missus on our mini-moon, not a pile of lads.

Ah I see, sorry... Even better. My shouts for House, 101 (and Maggie Choos next door) and Savoy will suit for cocktails, outdoor garden, etc.

Maybe take a wander around by the castle, Katy Dalys, etc... or pop into Treaty City Brewery...

Check out Mother Macs for a pint - proper pub. I'd avoid Nancys personally - was the place to be 15-20 years ago - not so much now IMO.

Advertisement