Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Maybe I have become so unenthused, and she is probably not doing anything that I am interested in, she also does something with DWTS.

Oddly kind of liked PIL song, he dedicated it to his wife is suffering from Alzheimer, the song that won won't win Eurovision but not sure if it will even get to final. But TLLS should be retired for EuroSong.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't think she inherited that natural talent that her late father had.

I never watched DWTS but was waiting for something else and ended up watching about 20 minutes of the first show this year.

I had always avoided it but I thought the bit I saw was well done.

JL did a nice job given the limitations of his voice and it was quite touching.

Maybe a separate show for Euro Song do you think?

DWTS is a well produced show, I have no really problem with it, as I have said as long as RTÉ are producing TV I am happy but they have cut back so much with very little thought.

IMO Gay Byrne and Jerry Ryan were the only to real personalities that RTÉ ever had. Yes they both had the problems but they both brought in that audience. We won't see the likes of them again. Jerry Ryan held up 2FM on his own though the 2000s IMO, 2FM would have been gone 10 years before if he had moved to another broadcaster. I believe GB and JR are the only 2 RTÉ really can say this about.

Agree with you on JL's voice.

Definitely. Euro Song needs its own show, though the last one was hosted by Ray D'Arcy and Dustin was sent to Europe!

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/2889-eurovision/699191-dustin-the-turkey-chosen-as-eurovision-entry/

______

Yesterday

I suppose poor old Ray gets blamed for everything else so you might as well hang that one on him too 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Old Ray ain't poor, tight as tuppence that lad, every euros a prisoner with that fella😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I saw Ray drop a €2 coin once and, when he bent down to pick it up, it hit him on the back of the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"I don't understand RTÉ's obsession will Lottie Ryan, and I mean this not to offend Lottie it is just a criticism, but why exactly is she in RTÉ, she gets no additional feedback."

The clue is in her surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Talentless individuals who live on the family name - like most politicians also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Not to mention that her agent could get a 9" cavity block a slot in RTE with an €80k pa salary

• Advertisement

Seemed like a well produced show, I think it was produced from Limerick.

I'd be surprised if he is still not on €450,000 for 2020 and 2021, perhaps a drop in 2021 but if his contract is like PKs he would have got a 5 year bonus for staying in the contract. Which he most likely got in 2020.

RTÉ have said that they would publish 2020 and 2021 figures ... soon ... though they also said that they would publish 2020 in 2022 but they've missed that. I'd say they will wait for Dee Forbes to go before publishing them, so Dee and Moya head of into the sunlight with no real criticism of their time at RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

So, that dude is back, about that stuff you know, up in court, don't say anything but ...

The thing is ...reading twitter about it all, a tweeter pointed out that he's the only Irish Well Known Male Broadcaster that is 39, not saying that it is who we think it is but...

It just shows how RTÉ and other broadcasters have not developed many personalities meaning you can almost with certain identify the person in question... not that we will or would here on boards.

Another twitter user says ... The only famous 39 year old ?... prob no but he, whomever he is, fits the desciption ... if it is not him it is a bit it a huge embarrassment for him.

______

Yesterday

note that Finucane and O'Rourke make up most of the 16% decrease or 686,001 v a reduction of 506,333, that's not really a decrease.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is the Byrne there Claire Byrne? Lol, host a joke of a current affairs show, then quit it, here's an extra 100k.

At least they managed to give D'Arcy a haircut, 300k still a serious overpayment for his 'skills' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wasn't sure for a sec if that was listeners or money!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Derek Mooney was getting the same listeners while also presenting Winning Streak. I don't think he ever reach €200,000 per year while on the list of top 10 paid in RTÉ. You'd really wonder was The Ray D'Arcy Show on Saturday night worth €150,000?

I believe that there are others working for Indo producers getting just as much as many of RTÉ direct contractors and staff.

Dermot Bannon, Katherine Thomas, Mairead Ronan to name a few.

I remain surprised that Donacha O'Callaghan has not appear so far in the list considering his role on both 2FM and Ireland's Fittest Family. I'd also expect that the 2 presenters of DWTS should show up, and Jenny Z should have been their in 2021. Are both being paid through the production company?

3 presenters left RTÉ last year, all of them seem to be just floating on air, either they were well paid or they all came into some money. I can't imagine many people being able at 40 to be made redundant and not continue to work for a year or so, or even to risk moving country.

I remain convinced that much of this is the tip of the iceberg.

______

Yesterday

So there was a report in the Sindo outlining Ian Keogh's concerns for RTÉ finances... he's now tips for the DGs job... he's been on the board for 5 years and now he considers kicking up a fuss?

______

Yesterday

Hotel California innit

Hopefully with Linda Ronstadt on reception 🙂

I'd love to know what RTÉ executives actually think about, I am sure they are doing something, but do they think. Do they realize that by cutting funding to Children's and Drama much of their programme sales are depleted?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hard to see why he 'retired' only to return for a similar schedule on a much less listened-to station. Maybe a couple of weeks with nothing but golf to occupy him convinced him him he had to return to his mission of supplying daytime MOR to the housewives of Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭brokenbad

1. Scrap Fair City
    2. 50% pay cut for all the high earners (Duffy, Miriam, Tubridy, Darcy)
    3. Scrap Late Late show - its outdated

Instant savings by implenting the above

Another poster educated me a bit on Ronans new show in that all his shows can be recorded in one go, so he wouldn't have to attend studio each day leaving him ample time for the golf course while the dollars roll in.... So I suppose it makes sense from Ronans pov... Its almost as if some of these channels exist to provide an income stream for the retired and semi-retired made guys n gals in Montrosia

What would you replace them with?

1. I'd cut back Fair City and produced it in line with the market, actors would see a pay cut
    2. I am find with this but your not make a huge saving, I'd happily let them be stolen by other broadcasters... if they would take them.
    3. I'd reduce the number of eps per year, but wouldn't axe it fully, certainly change the presenter, but would have other shows surrounding it... but not shows that end up descending into TLLS-lite

______

Yesterday

The Kim Wilde 80's Show, Couldn't most music shows be pre-recorded.

______

Yesterday

Ireland's Smartest for RTÉ but recorded in VM Studios, you'd wonder what was going on in RTÉ studios last weekend?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭brokenbad

I don't know what the budget is or what the actors salaries are to produce Fair City - but i would imagine it would be a significant.

It is. I think it could be around the €20m mark but could be between €15m and €20m, as we know some of the actors are on between 99,000 to 150,000 for 31 weeks of filming. Way off what the market really requires IMO, reduce salaries and cut the number of episodes, the savings should go to making other dramas. IMO.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Sharing the Euro and World Cup finals with Virgin Media would save around 5-6 million. It's working perfectly fine for the 6 Nations currently.

• Advertisement

They did it back in 2016, it would be interesting to know why they didn't try to share it with other broadcasters for Euro 2020 and WC 2022. I wonder if they earned more on advertising keeping it to themselves.

Did they really save any money on Six Nations verus the last time they hosted all of the matches?

______

Yesterday

Advertisement