Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I drive an EV, can I go 20km/h faster than everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Why can't we just buy enough carbon credits off of other countries to meet our targets ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can we get a functioning public transport system so? Getting a bus these days is a gamble on when/if it will show up, and that's the only public transport available near my house.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• heres a wild idea

Instead of bankrupting people for using their fcuking cars why don’t they make it more feasible for people outside Dublin to use public transport to travel to work etc?

i used to take the bus, problem is if I finish after 8:30pm (every shift i finish at earliest 10pm) I can’t get home on the bus before 1:30am.

But yeah I’m the fcuking problem. Sure I will just quit work and go on the dole, that’s what they want then I guess? Cos I’m starting to lose the will to live at this stage.

Work 70 odd hours a week to have money sucked out of me wallet left and right between tax on the wage + the car, paying for the fuel (with tax), paying for parking (about to go up apparently) and then the ridiculous grocery bills and massive ESB lately.

But yea I’ve been saying for weeks now I need more money taken out of my wallet cos I generally have a few pound spare and heaven forbid I try to save that or buy something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you see anything of the proposed that could be considered politically palatable?

Nope, nothing.

Say one thing though - the thread title is doing some impressive mileage! 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I was in for a gastroscopy yesterday , general hospital 45 mind drive away . I could have got a bus there for a midday appointment would have got me there at 9.30am.

also the appointment specifically said don't go home on public transport ......

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Less than 7% of the population voted for the greens. They have no mandate.

So much for democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hopefully this can reduce some of the mess in our urban areas which are completely dominated by car traffic and cars dumped everywhere. Wont be popular decisions but this is why having Greens in government from time to time is a good thing, they'll push for unpopular decisions that are better for all down the line. People really shouldn't be driving into city centres in this day and age.

Congestion charges are usually just certain zones during certain hours, if you're leaving late it's unlikely you'd need to pay anything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The problem is that their policy approach is all stick and no carrot.

Of course less cars in the city centre is a good thing , of course less emissions are a good thing but it can't all be penalties and increased charges.

The vast majority of the focus should be on creating viable alternatives - In fact it should be 100% focused on alternatives.

If there are public transport alternatives to use , people just end up having to pay more to use the only viable option they have. It won't stop them using the car if there aren't any busses/trains available

Have the greens never read Aesops fables?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Could we get a sticky put up on the homepage for people who don't seem to understand our system of government and how coalitions work etc? It's genuinely a serious issue as it comes up regularly. Not enough is taught in schools about this stuff clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Absolutely but stuff like this just causes backlash when you see the likes of Metro, Navan rail, Cork Luas etc. are all at least a decade away and more from delivery. The real urgency to deliver big public transport infrastructure simply isn't there in this country.

Lots of rail and bus improvements coming down the line, also metro gone for planning permission but that's still years away. I doubt they'll drop all these new measures upon us at once though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

I like the idea in cities that have some sort of modern transport system. But in Dublin there is no underground, no Uber, and the buses are unreliable. And even worse their realtime position is worse than it was about 7 years ago.

At least allow us a sort of second tier taxi service like Uber which is available when the licensed taxi drivers are all busy. It's a basic update to the apps that are there at the moment - First check for availability among all the primary taxi drivers with taxi licences, and if no one is there, check for lift sharing drivers.

The licensed guys can't complain about that because they're getting first dibs.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

What's your point? There are of course going to be exceptions. Not every measure is going to work for 100% of people 100% of the time. The idea is to target those journeys that can be easily made by alternative means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Usual guff from the Greens, we can blame the Avocado munchers in Ranelagh for this one...

Sleepy Eamonn is trying his best to limit air travel too by having one of his chiefs of staff tell one of their many special advisors to send some Memo's instead of actually fixing the issues...

You understand how constituencies work? And ministerial positions?

You understand nobody voted for this bar a handful of leafy South Dublin well to do urbanites.

These policies effect everyone. Nobody wants this.

No mandate

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Yeah, but last I checked most of them don't have anything for those of us that work in Dublin county but live in a different county. I drive in currently because taking any of the transit options would more than double my commute time and cost a lot more even with the current high diesel prices. For public transit to be used it has to be either more convenient or cheaper, preferably both. Currently for me at least it is neither.

• Advertisement

I voted for this as did many others and im not from southside. Lots of people want less cars in cities. Pretty much only one demographic is represented on boards.ie nowadays so it's not a great barometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

everything's always coming down the line has been for decades at this point.

I could only a get one bus from donegal town to letterkenny on a Sunday morning. so much for that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Well why do people in Donegal keep voting for the same muppets who have zero interest in public transport? Anyway these measures wouldn't affect places like Donegal.

• I’d still need to pay for parking and I still pay for diesel to travel there.

My overarching point here is more that they’re trying to price people out of using their cars rather than offer a suitable alternative.

If it was easier to take a bus I’d take a bus. Most people would. I hate driving home after work. I’m tired, I just want to listen to music and tap on my phone mindlessly on the journey home (I used to enjoy the bus ride home honestly except for the whole waiting til 1:30am..).

I’m not a die hard car or bust person at all but I can’t stand this shite. Build it and they will come is out the window here it’s “price them out of cars and they’ll be forced to come”.

So it'll probably cost people like you a bit more to drive in. At least you're not paying dublin house prices/rent.

Yeah so people like you will take a hit, but we'll have less cars in cities and buses etc will run better as there'll be fewer cars. Dems the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Eamon Ryan isn't a democrat, he's a wannabe autocrat. Remember his statement about wishing for a one world dictatorship so he could push his agenda?

Also wanting to restrict air travel unless it's for himself and his cronies flying business class.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Did he really want to restrict citizens from air travel?

• Advertisement

• Ah here lad are you joking

Who cares what someone’s rent is? It doesn’t excuse charging people up the wazoo to travel as opposed to offering a functional, reliable & regular bus service outside of the capital city.

It shouldn’t be this way it’s a disgrace it’s been allowed to happen. I remember years ago (at least 15 now) there was a bus into Gorey (Co Wexford) from a village (Ballycanew). This bus went twice a day, early morning (around 9am) and afternoon (around 3 o’clock).

For a lot of people in the village this was the only way into Gorey to do their grocery shop and whatever else they needed outside of taking a cab or a car. Bus Eireann scrapped it because there wasn’t enough money off it.

So the people who were using that service had no choice left to them than to use a car. It’s easy to think of a big town or city with decent enough public transport but smaller villages and whatnot (not necessarily just stand alone houses in the middle of no where) are more affected by poor transport links and subsequently even more affected by policies like these.

I’m not opposed to more people using PT, but the fact is if you want people to use it it needs to first of all exist & then also be reliable and so on. If you rob people of the affordability to use their cars without offering a reasonable substitute you are screwing them not helping them.

Advertisement