Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I wonder how more players might decide to leave on the basis of another 3 years of this management structure. As far as I can see there has never been a better time to jump ship cause this ship is going under

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

By all accounts he wanted to stay but only on a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

Sam Illo was excelent scrum work.In my mind he was MOM for the reason that he got scrum turn-over with dooley and hef. If he will be used at Th later games, he will be stronger than now.He has become to push straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

In the final 20

A the post (my new best friend)

B other missed drop-goal

C missed pen

D Bolton -who was good- might have been red

E Oliver may have been penalised in front of the posts

F Blade -who wasn't good- saved our asses holding player beyond the tryline

G Illo did well to be serious in very dangerous well-placed scrums

H Same for Murray in lineouts

I O'Brien crossfield kick when they have momentum...

J Forde so important, no missed tackles, little "Robb" in carries but with hands, long kicks... We wouldn't have won without this level

10 reasons we should have (as usual) f**** up in this kind of away games

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Hard to take many positives from yesterday's game, where we were broadly awful, but there was a few.

On the rare occasion our attack got going it looked really good....pity that was only 3-4 occasions.

Bolton really carried hard and direct....which would make you wonder why we didn't give him the ball more.

Blade had a poor game, we'd obviously gone out with a plan to box kick a lot, but why we didn't change this when they went a man down is brain dead beyond words. Coaches need to be getting that message onto the pitch as when we got it wide they really struggled.

A point dropped rather than 4 won but at least it keeps us in the fight.

Need to play much better in the next two games to get anything but 8th is there for the taking and 7th is not totally beyond us with the way the results have gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobb Sapp

Funny that, it is possibly coming from the players but my two cents worth is that in the wake of the emerging Ireland tour it appears to be the case is that there is a cohort of backroom staff and academy coaches doing rounds of the provinces and  very aggressively promoting the use of internal talent as well. All well and good but not in line with some of the provinces traditions since the professional era as has been said here recently in the case of Connacht. There has been moving of deckchairs recently in certain other provinces at academy level but those provinces are not involved.

Frawley at fullback instead of outhalf is an example of the kind of manoeuvre to suggest the coaches in the provinces and international level are not at a meeting of minds. My feeling is that there is a cohort in both sections coordinating this portrayal behind Farrells back. I would guess there are some very competitive coaches in there wanting to push the youth and national agenda and have certain players play and then portray it as them being outranked when it comes to selection. But they seem to have a substantial amount of influence and control on the ground and behind the scenes with the players. And influence in the type of players being given contracts. Connachts players saying this sort of thing is no surprise given some of the selection outcomes that have appeared in the wake the emerging Ireland.

So a day later after you get to reflect on what was not our finest performance. But then you think back to the previous performance versus Zebre and you get to compare performance.

From positives Bolton looked really good, TOH was utterly faultless, Porch was always a threat.

But 9 and 10 continue to kill us. And the interesting thing is that it was decided not to change either player.

And that just is heartbreaking. How can it that be. Hawkshaw has been underwhelming on every outing at 10. Marmion has been the player that has brought some structure at 9 when introduced.

But instead it was decided to retain all these weaknesses until the end of the game.

I worry that these shockingly poor management decisions will affect the morale of the team

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

After yesterday it's very hard to feel optimism. I know it's very hard to take positives. But there are positives. We won the game. A lot of the players played really well. Some players played poorly. Once you address that it's not such a supposed disaster. But we do need to address weaknesses. And we need to do it SOON

1st 30 min were significant improvement (though vs weak opposition) in term of contact area, fluidity in attack, the rest tends to make us obliterate that

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Aungier was also good until he was withdrawn and Illo continues to grow into his role. These are positives in a position which looked like an Achilles heel. Hawkshaw should stick to 12 (could he be tried out at 15?) but give Forde or Daly a try at 10 (unlikely tle latter will work out but worth a try). TOH was excellent under the high ball, after a dodgy start to the season, he has really shown his value in the last couple of months. So I'll eat crow on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Amidst the wreckage of a rotten second half, it's easy to forget that we were extremely unlucky to miss out on two tries in the first half and were dominant until Dragons went a player down. And that one of their tries was an intercept against the run of play. The negativity comes from the inability to capitalise on the numerical advantage - especially while they were down to 13 - which showed a lack of intelligence. On top of that Caolin's performance was poor in a week where choices at 9 are under the spotlight.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

it's easy to forget that we were extremely unlucky to miss out on two tries

The really frustrating thing about that performance, was that in attack in the first half. Connacht looked really good, they were making meters for fun through the center. Then Dragons lose one of their centres and instead of carrying on the way they were playing. They decided to go tight and keep it in close. I know Dragons also lost a second row but why change what was working. All Connacht had to do, was keep doing what they had been doing. Then they seemed to panic and there was a real lack of leadership. Blade playing so poorly and having a 12 at 10 doesn’t really help I’m sure.

Boyle butchered two tries too, though I do think our better capacity to take the gainline was and will be with him at n°8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Willie Ruane or someone similar needs to speak with coaches and tell them Marmion has to be considered for selection for remaining games at least until they are meaningless. Freezing him out is a terrible way to treat one of the greatest players in Connacht history who is more or less leaving due to Connacht's decision. Can't be good to inspire loyalty either, certainly if I was a non native in the Connacht dressing room, I would be thinking if this is how they treat a guy with 200+ caps, league winner, 30 Irish caps, I better prioritise myself. Particularly with news leaking of this "locals first" policy whatever the hell that is.

More importantly, it's bad for the team, had Sam Davies slotted that drop goal late on Saturday, the decision to go without Marmion would have played a significant part in effectively ending Connacht's interest in the league. One would think this lesson had been learned with Newcastle away, had Connacht treated that game properly, they would have secured at least one home European knockout and likely more than one, income that would have more than covered Marmion's contract and others.

This is professional sport. Connacht need to be focused on getting the absolute max out of every season. Absolute shambolic management on multiple occasions this season.

Post edited by ClanofLams on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Dragons were only missing Rio Dyer, their 3 other Six Nations squad players all started.

Compare that with Connacht missing Bealham, Carty, Aki, and Hansen. Connacht full-strength would probably have pulled away with 20 to go.

Connacht should have used more width and stretched them, hopefully it will be something the squad can learn from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

On the other hand, if we know that Marmion is gone next year, then when do you get a 'safer' game to give Reilly some minutes than against the Dragons?

(that's now how it panned, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

Reilly has looked very promising in his cameos this season but if they don't trust him to come on at the weekend when Blade was clearly struggling it doesn't bode well for him getting many minutes in the remaining games either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I mean they weren’t willing to give him minutes. That suggests they had a mindset of sure we will be fifteen or twenty up and give Reilly twenty minutes. A mindset that frankly would go a long way towards explaining Connacht’s consistent struggles in similar games.

Connacht aren’t Leinster talent wise, every opponent needs to be treated with respect. Of course there’s a time to give younger players an opportunity but crucial European and league games aren’t that.

Edit - On “safer” games I certainly wouldn’t be picking an away game during an international period when Edinburgh seconds have put 40/50 plus on Connacht teams twice in the previous two seasons in this exact scenario. That’s in addition to losing games in Wales against second string teams during international periods.

There’s pre season fixtures, home European games, home league games against weaker teams, I even wouldn’t mind throwing a younger player in somewhere where you aren’t expected to get anything. But must win league games away where Connacht are favourites, a type Connacht have struggled badly in for years, have to go with the absolute strongest 23. It’s mind boggling and genuinely worrying that Connacht’s coaching staff were unable to reach that conclusion.

Post edited by ClanofLams on

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

Anyway, now Connacht needs only simple, fundamental and harder (than any other teams) training. Only practice makes their succsess. Almost guys of them are very young and starve to be strong player. Andy Friend looks a rationalist, and failed making strong team imo. He like athrete-type players like Butler or Oliver. Butler do not fit at 8, and Oliverhas been conceeded meaningless penalty at almost every game. In Dragons game,his conceeded penalty are two. At remaining games, penalty will be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Wasn't expecting this .

The very best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

Surprised to read this, not so much that he was leaving but that he is retiring, google tells me he is only 28 aswell so a young man still but best of luck to him.

If we didn't renew I'd reckon that wing is a very competitive position to be looking for a fallback contract in right now, especially if your game isn't built on kicking. The deals available out there right now probably weren't worth delaying his post rugby career plans for. Best of luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Sad to hear of him retiring at such a young age but from the sounds of things he has the post-retirement early stages all thought through already, which is a very good sign. Best of luck to him on whatever lies ahead.

Carty and Hackshaw are not the answer. How many more years of Carty. It has been a disaster from start to end. If Jack is continued I will cry outright

Really? You should have said something on this before!

Really can’t get over the level of transition happening at Connacht, and the amount of experienced players heading for the exits.

At the moment, it looks like they’re not exactly setting up Wilkins to be a success imo unless there is a good amount of recruitment coming (which I believe is unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

They seem to be sending out feelers via Jackman that we won't have any sort of a budget for signings next season. I think that new gym/admin office is next on the redevelopment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are only thinking about this from a now perspective, you have to consider the future.

If you continue to play Marmion then Blade goes into next season lacking confidence.

It's important to keep the future in mind. This has happened at multiple teams over the years and it's the right move.

I can understand why the branch would do that. I've been trudging up to the Sportsground to work on my mindless optimism for 15+ years. I'd far rather take a little short-term pain to get new facilities with minimal debt than risk spending the following decade servicing large interest payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

It's a difficult juggling act between on field performance and getting the right infrastructure in place but sometimes you have to dig deeper into the costs of running the organisation.

I'd be looking at the non playing side of things cost wise. Not to get rid of lots of people or anything but to look at all expenses incurred.

I think it's not too harsh to say that there's a lot of costs that could be looked at and there's a not insignificant amount of money that could be saved by tightening up a few things. I'm sure anyone who has been a supporter of Connacht over the years sees the inefficiencies in many aspects of the organisation.

Advertisement