Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What are Gakpo and Nunez's games/goals/assists numbers in all comps now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We're first to play next week, if we can get the win it starts putting the pressure on our Top 4 rivals to match the result. If Newcastle lose or draw their game in hand then Top 4 is in our control, obviously there'll be dropped points from all teams between now and the end of the season but that's a huge position to be in after Top 4 was completely written off a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That was Everton. Mo's goal but Gakpo was lightning up the pitch

I was the same as you initially, he seemed quite passive in his play and I wasn't sure what he had. Hard being thrown straight in to the team, in a new country etc so I wanted to give him time but I want convinced

The last few games though, he's really kicked on, I'm delighted to be wrong. Two great finishes yesterday, the second was sublime, and looked good all round :)

This is one of the craziest Salah stats I've seen, the biggest game in England, one of the biggest in world football, a rivalry that's spanned over a century...and Mo has dominated it like no one else in history, literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I actually think he's a decent YouTuber, heart on the sleeve for reactions but quite balanced when he does post match.

Didn't make it any less enjoyable thom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There was a game (maybe Brighton in the cup) where Gakpo put the rockets on and ran through 2 Brighton players, just upended them. He slowed down for a split second expecting a whistle but it was a completely fair run and tackle. Something clicked in his head that day cause 2 games later he starts scoring. I think the more physical style of the premiership will suit him fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Salah has scored more goals against Man Utd than any other club in his career. Man City & Spurs just behind them. He's such a big game player.

Didn't spot the 2 games in hand for Brighton so we'll need to worry about them too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Don’t ever take days like yesterday for granted.  I know we’ve had the 5-0 at Old Trafford last season, and the 4-0 at home, and then what happened yesterday, but those maulings don’t come around often at all.  To have witnessed three in 18 months is beyond what anyone should expect.

This was a reality check for Manchester United.  As I’ve said to anyone who’ll listen, they were never what many said they were.  They’re good, but nowhere near great.

More importantly, it was a reality check for Liverpool.  We’ve been utterly spoiled over the last 5 years.  If it wasn’t for Pep and the Wall of Money, this team would not only be a Liverpool dynasty, but a Premier League dynasty.  It has given me more joy than any Liverpool team in my lifetime.  They have earned trust beyond measure.  They have earned time and patience to get things right as things are reset.

Should we have done more to get midfielders in to the club?  Yes

Have we thrown away this season because we couldn’t/wouldn’t move the mountains needed to make sure we remained competitive at the top end this season as certain players went on a downward trajectory?  Yes

Should we have dealt with injuries better than we did?  Possibly

Did Klopp take too long to go back to basics - getting us solid at the back, and going from there?  Yes

But yesterday was a timely reminder that Klopp has the ability to get this team to where it needs to be again.  Yesterday was proof that certain players are bedding in nicely, and for me, we’re a couple of good summer signings away from being a title contender again.  Gakpo looks sensational.  I can’t express adequately how good he was yesterday.  If Salah was the knife that twisted in United’s chest when they were already dead, Gakpo was the sniper who got the job done.  He had Firmino’s elusiveness, but his 2 goals show a speed, directness and finishing ability that mean he is a scary, scary prospect for this league.  United had no clue what to do with him.

Klopp can do this.  We needed this result.  In a season where so much has gone wrong, and where we are transitioning in every since of the word, we, as a fanbase needed a reminder that we are fúcking blessed to have this man at the helm.  He knows what he’s doing, and he will have us challenging and punching above our weight against the megabucks of this league again.

And finally.  Jordan fúcking Henderson.  I’ve criticised him as much as anyone.  But how proud I am to continue to have a man of class as captain.  Despite everything this season he has been exemplary in his attitude and how he’s carried himself.  He is the embodiment of how I want the club represented.  As opposed to the embarrassment opposite him.  Henderson, while waning, continues to be a credit to anyone who is a fan of the club.

Now beat Bournemouth, lads.

Post edited by SlickRic on

I think the best thing about yesterday is that there were zero controversial decisions in our favour, United didn't get a soft red card, we didn't score a dodgy penalty or benefit from a bad VAR call...There are zero excuses, we just beat them all ends up.

If anything they benefitted from the refereeing, Fernandes didn't even get booked despite numerous dives, dissents, and cynical fouls (not to mention putting his hand on the linesman) and Shaw and McTominay could've well been off themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Ah but when theres no dodgy decisions theres always the old faithful to go back to Liverpool were just lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Thiago and Diaz to come back shortly too

Loved this moment too, Bruno has a kick out at Bajcetic who instead of hitting the deck rides the challenge and keeps playing...unlike Bruno who completely gives up when his deliberate foul doesn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's got all the bad bits of say Suarez without the talent and work rate. Comfortably the player I dislike the most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Interesting choice of player to rile up United fans. Keep it classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks ceegee. I was focusing on the giant 7 rather than the name though 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Well, that was an incredible game and performance. Salah, Gakpo, Nunez, Fabiniho, Elliot, Robbo, Konate were all fantastic. But you could almost namecheck the entire team. Special mention for Gakpo's two finishes and Salah's meme of the year run down the right. The energy levels of the entire team seemed 50% higher than we've seen this season.

However, there was definitely a stroke of luck in the enormity of the scoreline. Every shot seemed to go in in that second half. It reminded me of the Real Madrid game, on a bigger scale. They were better than us, but not 2-5 better. We were better than United, but not 7-0 better.

Can we beat Real 3-0 in their home ground is the question? Probably not, but I'd give us a better chance with confidence running high and key players back. And fourth spot looks a lot more likely too. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Fair enough, I'm still probably a bit touchy from yesterday lol. I'm sure you can understand why a united fan would assume the worst when someone wears a Suarez shirt specifically to rile up United fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The thought 9f Suarez never even crossed my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

3-0 down in a Champions League fixture and you're doubting us?! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Milner out on the left doing the Ronaldo stepovers in the 91st minute was such a nice moment, that needs a GIF

Crowd also singing Viva Ronaldo, such an embarrassing day all around for Manchester United

Huge turnaround in form in the league

Last 5 league games

13/15 points, 13 goals scored, 0 conceded

Previous 5 league games

4/15 points (and we were absolutely blessed to beat leicester), 3 (2 were OG's) goals scored, 10 goals conceded.

Should definitely push on now to finish 4th or even 3rd.

Post edited by rob316 on

Ya everything went in but some fantastic finishes especially gakpo x 2. Bit like the 6-1 stoke game years ago, I was actually laughing at how everything went in against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Great article here showing the tactical plan used yesterday, and the brilliance of Gakpo.

When they described the interaction of the forwards on MOTD, it felt like it was the beginning of a new front three.

I don’t mind admitting that I didn’t see that coming at all, and I posted on here saying that I feared Casemiro and Rashford would do a lot of damage. Couldn’t be more delighted to be proved absolutely wrong.

Delighted for Darwin and Gakpo on a human level also, they’ve both had challenging starts to their time and shipped a fair bit of criticism. It’s not easy to join a team in transition but I think they’ve really shown their quality recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Tho it sure felt like a loss I'm pretty sure we drew with Palace giving us 13 points from our last 15 available.

^^

Ha sorry I have the number 7 stuck in my head today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I could watch this all day...

No punishment for Fernandes putting his hands on the ref, genuinely surprised with that one as it's usually something they're very strict on AND they've been doing a lot of PR regarding the abuse referees get recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I was stunned when I saw that live yesterday. How he got away with it is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jeez lads....my ears are nearly worn out listening to podcasts today.

As much as we can enjoy the praise for Salah, Gakpo, Nunez etc I think we can all also admit that the fume from the other side is almost equally enjoyable.

There was some fella on OTB earlier on that got very worked up altogether....I almost felt sorry for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just some satire to ridicule United once we took the lead, it took on a whole new meaning after the game, with No7 being Ronaldo's number, Milner mimicking Ronaldo stepovers ect

Im less surprised when I noticed the lineman put his hand on him first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

As per usual their PR stunts seem to only effect Liverpool, Klopp banned for shouting at the ref and Javier Mascherano was sent off for chatting back to the ref when they were playing Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Loved reading this. I actually couldn’t believe the c**p from Neville in commentary trying to suggest that UTD were the best team in that half. Yes the had the best chance, but one of them was down to 1 in 20 wonder ball from Shaw that caught everyone off guard. Whereas with Liverpool you could clearly see the intent in trying to expose the 2 UTD wide players in Bruno and Anthony, particularly Anthony in the first. Time and time again Robbo was left in acers of space with Dalot trying to cover 2 positions, it was only a matter of time before it paid off. I mean anyone who’s ever played football to any level could have spotted this going on! Yet it didn’t even draw attention from Neville, he was too focused on the 2 chances UTD created against the run of play and was convinced he had seen enough that UTD were the better side…I was amazed then at half time that Keane didn’t even bring it up either, he was also quite smug and content even tho they were 1-0 down to a goal created by a player who was given the freedom of Anfield in the 1st half and it hadn’t sparked any reaction from the UTD sideline. They seemed quite happy to look at Anthony jog around the place, like the alarm bells should have been going off in the studio from a UTD point of view at half time. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's quite simple.

There are a large portion of them who were realistic and knew exactly where they were in terms of their development. They knew they were a good team, but not quite great yet. They're taking it just fine and are circumspect about it.

Then another portion truly believed they were back, and were full of hope. many of them were dead inside last year when we hammered them twice because they knew what was coming. This season that group fully expected to get something, likely a win, so they are absolutely irate and confused.

Post edited by SlickRic on

**** it full of confidence the team will be, its a free hit just go for it on Wednesday week, score a few goals, show a bit of pride.

All I'd ask is we score first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

If Konate was available for the first leg, we would still be in the tie v RM. Shows that if we get the same investment in the summer as Arsenal then we will be challenging for the league next year.

We have top quality in a good few positions and the weaknesses are so obvious for massive scope for improvement.

Young players such as Doak & Gordon can fill the squad but we do need a CB as likely Matip will leave though it is Gomez that I think we should sell, being english he would get a decent fee. Need a RB also and 3 midfielders. Up front we are fine even with Bobby leaving as we have Salah, Gapko, Nunez, Diaz, Jota plus the likes of Doak who could breakthrough.

Only one league game left in March so it is a must win and then a really tough run from April 1st to 9th. Hopefully Spurs get through in the CL to give them 2 more midweek games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Strange, all the Andy Carroll texts seem to have dried up....

Nunez on form is a scary prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Another great aspect about Nunez being on form now is it frees up some space for Salah on the opposite wing. Teams cannot double mark him. No offense to Ox but when he was out on the LW, opposition teams could afford to defend more on their left side to stifle Salah, and Trent, and as a byproduct attack more down that wing themselves. Ox just didn't offer that multi dimension threat down the outside.

A by product of having both of these players on the wings occupying full backs and centre backs being worried is it let's Gakpo drift around into pockets of space and be the link man between the lines.

Early days yet but it feels very 2017-2018 Liverpool attack. I'm not sure what happens when Diaz is back fit but it will be interesting to see over the next few months and there are certainly reasons to be hopeful of a top 4 spot and for next season again. We need to see it more consistently but we have seen just how it can work now. I wouldn't get too carried away with the 7 goals but the interplay did impress me.

Gakpo was all over the place, in a good way, very false 9. 20 duels he competed for. He only won 8, but he was making a nuisance of himself, putting himself about. putting in the hard yards. A few nice turns and dribbles too, drawing fouls. He picked some nice times and spaces to pick up. And that's not even mentioning his 2 goals.

Ironically enough, I think yesterday could well have been Nunez's worst performance for us, the first half certainly was. His link up play was non existent in that half when it is usually better. But then he goes and scores 2 goals in the second half while playing a bit better. He's gonna be a monster for us next season when he is fully settled. At the moment he is trying to be his all action self while also being the clinical forward. He needs to fuse them together better perhaps. Save some energy for the right times.

Salah is Salah is King.

Those rules regarding refs have always excluded Man UTD who can do whatever they want as we have seen numerous occasions over the years. This is no surprise, the only surprise is that you're surprised Utd get away with that type ****! 😏

I would also just like to point out that within the past month or two we have had people on here (and IRL) calling for Klopp's head. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

Completely agree with you on Nunez performance. I thought maybe he was carrying a knock cos he wasn't running around at all, butchered the through ball which Salah ultimately scored from but two goals taken well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Michael Owen spoke with Pep Ljinders about coaching at Liverpool.

Video on NBC Sports

• Advertisement
Advertisement