Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the saying - an advanced society is not one where the poor can afford a car, but the rich take public transport.

something like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Except this is actually increasing choice of how you move around and where. Spending thousands of euro every year on a car isn't my idea of choice, it's a very expensive requirement. But hopefully that'll change with measures like this and massively increased cheaper public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Nothing wrong with trains and trams....the answer is to do both, build the public transport and also make life easier for people with cars. That's how you increase the standard of living!

Rural Ireland will never have a good public transport system due to low population density and that is just a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

How is a mother in rural Ireland supposed to bring her 3 kids to school in the morning to two different schools located in different rural areas both 10km from her home and still make it into work for 9am?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

First of all I'd ask why she's set up her life so that she has to be driving around like that every day. Anyway the proposed measures wouldn't affect her, no one is taking your car, relax. This is what's called "concern trolling", people use disabled and old people too for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

What's this? The government using the climate crisis as a grift to extort money from people?

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how many people in rural ireland have chosen that life though?

like the lad i used to work with who moved from clondalkin to ballycanew and then complained about how long it took him to get to work.

or my parents in law, who live 4km from the nearest shop and now need the car to do anything.

• might as well Kim! 😂

don’t be long tho or “The Man” will have me sucked dry 😂

they're trying to make moving people around more efficient and cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Why would someone in rural area be subject to congestion charges and extra parking fees?

Daft argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I didn’t state that the Green Party only has flexi time- don’t know where you’re getting that from. And my comments were focused on those who don’t live near their workplace- of course being in a city will be easier to commute- I’m not talking about those in a city- they’re fine- it’s everyone else that has a challenge getting into the city from outside of Dublin

this is the kind of rabbling nonsense you hear from the ever beleaguered "rural ireland" any time measures like this are even discussed. but i chose to live in a mansion in the middle of nowhere! what about me?!?

• yeah like the motor tax, fuel prices etc don’t apply if you live outside a city or town.

As if it’s just a single charge and not a concentrated effort from all sides to price people out of owning a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Fine to penalise cars if services are there- the point many are making is that those services are non existent in some areas or very poor in others - there’s no alternative for many right now other than to take their car- the Greens yet again have shown what a bunch of unimaginative twits they really are when all they can dream up is tax tax tax - it was the same over 15 years ago or so when they were last in government but obviously voters have forgotten what a bunch of useless idiots they really are. All of this is just a smokescreen to distract from the fact that successive governments have done nothing to improve a chaotic transport system

they are completely unrelated charges to what is being discussed. there are more cars on the road now than ever so they're not doing very well at pricing people out of cars either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I mean even living in Dublin I find this stuff galling.

Years drag by with no changes to DART, no metro to the airport, glacial progress in adding luas lines, no school bus network at all meaning if you don't have a DB that passes near the school then you're driving (and it means a lot of added journeys as the school holidays are clear evidence of)..

Where we live in North County Dublin, only a few kms from Portmarnock and Malahide, there are mimimal footpaths (forget about cycle lanes) - meaning car journeys for most cases. If we can't even focus hard and fast on populated areas - what hope is there for sparsely populated areas?

To solve these issues - the plan is just to make getting around more expensive?

Fu(king brilliant. Real geniuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

By car or school bus transport maybe? Congestion charges and increased city centre car parking is irrelevant in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Havenowt

If we only kept and maintained the rail infrastructure that was there already.

They should run the Luas until maybe 4am at the weekend to help get people home after a night out in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Heard Jack Chambers on the radio about this earlier.

We're going to have not one but two consultation processes on these measures before any decisions are made.

Meanwhile the need for reductions in emissions will become greater the longer its postponed.

A bit like our approach to building public transport infrastructure. Just push it further into the future.

We're also unlikely to see much reasoned debate. Introduction of a congestion charge but what about people in donegal or the woman in rural Ireland.

Emer Higgins (FG) was on radio earlier. Some of her constituents have to wait over an hour between buses to the city centre while the main road into dublin is just a stones throw away.

I'd broadly be in favour of these measures once viable alternatives are in place. Trains, buses, trams etc are already full. Bus companies finding it hard to get drivers etc.

If the government were serious about climate change, a short term solution until infrastructure is built could be going back to the days of the pandemic and telling businesses that their employees should work from home where possible. Another solution would be increasing funding of public transport to a point that would support a wage point where supply of bus drivers equals demand for such skills.

Two carrot options there but we're more likely to see the stick first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HoddleGod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He can bring all the memos he likes until he's blue in the face. The people will decide how far is far enough.

And if he wants to get them on side for any of this stuff, he had better start providing quality, safe, reliable and economical public transport.

Its been said many times on these pages, the fact there is zero light or heavy rail under construction in this Country as we speak, is a disgrace and an example of Ryan's failed balance of policy.

Post edited by Larbre34 on

You're 'a few' km from portmarnock - on a rural or suburban road?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As I said earlier , the focus needs to shift from trying to make it more difficult to use your car to trying to make it easier to use Public transport.

Equally, we need to update the planning process so that people can't object to anything and everything just because.

I'm not suggesting that it be a free for all , but the objections have to be real and tangible and set against the larger societal impacts.

What we have today where people are objecting to developments (whether that be housing or transport/infrastructure) when they don't even live near the location is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

I found myself trying to forgo the car on a the Sunday of our last Bank Holiday to go to a matinee Theatre showing in Dundrum. I live in Blackrock, a 15 minute car journey.

I took the dart into town (20 minutes) and a luas to Dundrum (20 + ish minutes). The bus service by the way between both these villages is literally non existent.

On the way home a luas pulled up which looked like a Tokyo bullet train, everyone left stranded on the platform, over 10 minutes to the next one which would no doubt be just as bad given everyone had to get on the next luas.

Took a punt and decided to go in search of a bus, 20 minutes to next bus down the ways in the village, got off on the N11 and just gave up and got a taxi home. The whole thing was just a joke. They will NEVER ever get people to use public transport as the defacto option if this is the alternative to a very short car ride.

As for rural Ireland? where do you even begin. This Country continually fluffs such basics, its an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You're 20k out side the city. You moved there knowing the transport links.

You moved to a place that needs a car to get everywhere, then complain about you need car.

That's on you.

The same people you said would have the works in fairview shut down by the end of last September? Looooool never gets old.

Also it's FFFGs fault for our awful public transport for ignoring it for 100 years in power.

One of the things I find frustrating (conceptually! It doesn't affect me practically) is this business of sports clubs basing themselves well out of easy reach, or being in easy reach, thus on valuable land and being bought out by developers. E.g. fingallians near portmarnock, which didn't have a footpath to it till recently. Coolmine rugby club, which would be suicidal to walk to and when originally built had no one living nearby. Etc. Just ironic that so many people had to drive to a place of physical activity.

• Wow so that’s where we are now? Poor infrastructure isn’t the governments fault, no no, it’s your fault for where you live.

Does that boot taste nice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Exactly ^. Probably the worst public transport of any EU country yet according to O’Gorman and co. their only answer is that we….‘STOP USING CARS ‘…

I’ve spent time in 20 of the 27 EU member states and every other country pisses all over Ireland in terms of public transport… far better frequency, better options, further reaching, better connectivity, cleaner, more comfortable and more modern..

a family member needed to go to mass in Gardiner St this morning…examined public transport…

walk to bus stop : 12 minutes

wait for bus : 5 minutes

bus journey : 33 minutes

Car : 12 minutes

thats according to google maps.

50 minutes vs I’d say 15, including securing parking, 12 sounds a tad ambitious… O’Gorman and co. simply are not living in the real world and are not listening to citizens …

they want people out of cars, taxing them, charging them…. You need to have proper, efficient, far reaching and integrated public transport systems… BEFORE you make demands..

Advertisement