Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Garry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He impressed me last night. It appears he has a high fight iq. I love the way he mixes it up.

I agree that the adversity he faced in the first round will only help him. He did very well to survive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Good win but let's be real Song wad out in there to get kids, Same way he did in his last fight 2 years ago , Garry needs to tighten up his defence

His first UFC fight he got cuaght a few times by the left hook & again last night

He got hurt bad and recovered well, fingers crossed he can keep improving

He wants to fight in 5 weeks , I'm not sure that advisable after being dropped like that,

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

I cringe every time i see hear him speak, he has no charisma and looks like an attention seeking gobsh1te along with his 'world look at me' wife.

All his talk of lust for violence rubbish just makes him look like a complete tw@t

He's taking it from McGregor's persona. It just doesn't come across as genuine.

I like the guy despite that. It's clear he is a hard worker and listens to his coaches. I hope he has a great career. I don't know anything about his partner apart from.her being much older than him and them having a child. I don't care to know either, I'm only concerned about what happens in the ring. I try to avoid information about their personal lives but unfortunately sometimes it's impossible to not see things come up about them.

I hope he does well too but my god the lad is cringe,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Agree with the above.Listen hes a young Irish lad and I hope he represents us well and continues the surge in Irish MMA but wish someone would have a word in his ear to stop all the rubbish talk, try be funny and have a bit of craic just the standard Irish sense of humour and he will have the plastic paddies salivating and spending big money supporting him and filling his pockets

I add his break down of why he got caught is also just wrong ,He claims its because he threw a hook to the body but if you watch he actually threw a jab after that ,

The issue wasn't the hook itself it was the fact he threw two left handed shot in a row with his right hand completely down & not covering the right side , Something he done twice on his debut UFC fight but the shot he got caught with didn't put him over, He's a t the right camp to put that right ,they will notice that and try there best to drill it ou of him ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

the only problem is you cant really coach or train someone to be charismatic, his personality is developed at his age and he is going to be stuck like that.

a rather unlikeable fellow i must agree.

Its strange isn't it , the lad has done nothing wrong but people just can't seem to take to him ,

I wonder is it only Irish people who see that, , he seems to try way to hard ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

He doesn't actually listen to his coaches though, was removed from Team KF for exactly that, being arrogant and uncoachable.

I wanted to like this lad but every single time I hear him speak I like him less.

• Advertisement

Well just watching him the other night he looked very well trained. He got caught and survived and then took the advice his coaches gave him at the end of the round.

I don't care about what they say. It's their performance in the ring that I'm interested in. He's Irish so I'll support him.

And as I've said above I think he's trying to sound like McGregor but it comes across as fake. I can understand why he wants to sound like McGregor, it's about earning as much as he can. Needs some training in that department for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

lads I've watched the 285 post fight interviews with Rogan and the BT one. I cant see the cringe at all. He doesnt remind me of Mcgregor in the slightest. Cept maybe that dopey walk after the win. The way some were saying, I thought it was gonna be like James Gallagher level of copying mcgregors laugh

He doesnt sound like him, doesnt call out people the same way, doesnt slate existing roster. He seems articulate on the mic, granted not brimming with charisma but jesus give him a break, he's a fighter not an antanddec. I'm happy to be corrected here so post link of him acting and talking like mcgregor

He doenslt remind me of McGregor either but he is cringe ,cheese's ,goofy whatever you want to call it ,

Conor didn't give a flying f*ck what anyone thought of him, Garry comes across like he is desperately trying to be liked & have a persona at the same time,

I seen someone on twitter call him the David Brent of MMA & its perfect

He just seems like a typical mid 20s Irish guy, to me. Talks a load of shite but is pretty harmless.

ye look its not easy all of a suden being in the lime light ,

It'll be interesting & his real personality will come out when he is set to fight a proper top 15 guys

The guys he's fought so far have literally got zero air time in the build up or post fight they are there to be beaten , It'll be interesting to see when he gets somee back & forth ,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think a lot of people are fogettimg that he was booted from his team just before winning the title and signing to the UFC. That’s not done lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Absolutely. He was gaining serious traction, having a young guy transition into the UFC would have been big publicity, something that makes people take notice. He must have been pretty terrible round the place for them to drop him.

They pretty much said he was abusive towards other members and coaches and that was the reason he became uncoachable. They mentioned that no member would get special treatment. They blamed his new manager more than anything else.

Yep his missus became his new manger & started making demands about opening the gym at certain times & for him to decided training times & what not ,

To be fair moving to the states was a great move for him all due respect to the lads out in Swords but his quality of training partner improved leaps & bounds & he has so much experience around him now, But the lads should get huge credit in getting him to wear he is now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rodrigues is a pretty big step up next . Interesting fight for sure, not actually sure Garry is fav for that fight.

https://twitter.com/SpinninBackfist/status/1638971849613750272

• Advertisement

That's a massive step up. I'm not sure he's ready for that yet. He was caught by Song in the first round of his last fight. In fairness he was smart after that and KO'd Song in the third but it showed he still had things to learn. If you have any weakness in this fight it'll be exposed.

It's like he's being thrown to the wolves. If he wins it he's close to being ranked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Huge step up that, time to sink or swim

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Fair play to him for taking this fight, a massive step up. Should be an absolute banger! I'm not sure he wins but if he does it's time to take him serious.

Rodriguez is ranked number 17 so not even top 15, When you go 4- 0 in the UFC you should be then without question fighting someone in the top 20 ,

Its also probably the most favourable match up in the top 20 , His 5th UFC opponent & all 5 are coming off losses ,

Its shows how dame good McGregor was going into his 5th fight he'd already beat Holloway & Dustin ,

Poirier was a good win that early but Holloway was just a kid.

Holloway had already beaten Poirier himself , but yes he was young ,

Its still valid nobody Song is the only one Ian beat still contracted to the UFC & he may still be let go ,

All of COnor first 5 opponents had multiply fights after ,Not one of them was can

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

No much talk on here at all about his up coming fight

I think its safe to say this guy has not captured the public attention like he thinks he says ,

He craves to follow in McGregor's footsteps. But what that guy did in terms of meteoric rise is unrepeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭robwen

For a nice change card starting at 8pm Saturday our time, on BT sport 2, decent enough card for a fight night,

Garry v Rodriguez 3rd fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That was his first solid win. He'll be ranked in the top 15 next week imo

Prediction held up

https://twitter.com/petesycarroll/status/1640978875915042816?s=46&t=d324wuw4f1OqNfy_H8U8UQ

Advertisement