Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another shed question

Options
  • 06-03-2023 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

I was reading the other thread about a shed and planning,so I thought I would ask my own shed question if ye don't mind.

About 8 years ago I wanted to built a shed, I approached my neighbours who might be affected and they were fine about it.

So I went ahead without planning

One of the neighbours passed away recently and his house was sold.

The new occupier has approached me about a project that he is considering doing in his back garden that would have a major negative impact (as in structural) on my site.

During the conversation,the shed was mentioned and it was intimated that he would report the shed to the council if I did not agree.

The shed is quite large L 8m x W4 x H 3.5.

Any advice please.

Comments

Sounds like the shed wasn't exempt from requiring planning permission. But it also sounds like it's there long enough (ie, longer than 7 years) that the council can't start any enforcement proceedings about it so who cares. You can approach your neighbour's proposed work on its own merits, not based on any fear of him getting the council on your back if you object to whatever he's doing. And anyway, there's no guarantee they won't report you anyway after they get their own planning permission or whatever.

That said, your new neighbour did go to the trouble of approaching you during the planning stage. That suggests they may not be a total d1ck, which is always nice. Also, there's definite benefits to not being hated by your neighbours (and your neighbour probably feels the same way as thy approached your).

There's probably a compromise that can be reached, which addresses your concerns and gives the neighbour most or all of what they want as well. It obviously takes two to tango , but compromising is usually better than fighting it out & causing misery all round.

Out of curiosity, what's the problem with what your new neighbour has in mind? And how exactly will it negatively impact your site?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@[Deleted User] wrote

That said, your new neighbour did go to the trouble of approaching you during the planning stage. That suggests they may not be a total d1ck, which is always nice. 

Are you sure about that? 😀

@shovel wrote:

During the conversation,the shed was mentioned and it was intimated that he would report the shed to the council if I did not agree.

Obviously 8x4m was not exempted development on size alone, and there might be other reasons it's not exempted, but it's going nowhere after 8 years and it was there when the other party purchased the house, so it's a total dick move for them to make threats, and not wise since they're in a weaker position (if they go ahead with non-exempted development without planning permission you can get the construction stopped).

I would start by determining whether the neighbour's construction is likely to be exempted development. If it is, then you may as well focus on mitigation by working with the neighbour on those structural concerns (and aesthetics). AFAIK structural concerns are irrelevant to planning exemption, and if (say) the construction causes a land slippage it'll be an issue for the courts, and nothing to do with the council planners. You both want to avoid that, since the only winners will be lawyers.

This is not professional advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

The project is release of groundwater (lots of it) onto my site with no drainage system in in place.

My site is 2 feet lower. Soul is clay with no soakage on both sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,048 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First impressions are that you shouldn't agree to this.

Regarding your own shed check if you have invoices/receipts for Labour and materials or any other evidence to show it was built 8 years ago as it will be up to you to prove when it was built should the Council ever contact you about it. It's a very modest size so I would suggest you look for retention in the near future. There is normally no great difficulty in getting retention. Just bear in mind that to leave it as an unauthorised development could have repercussions in the future should you ever look for permission for something else on the same site or if you wanted to sell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

8 x 4m is only 24 m.sq. Limit of exemption, as long as no other additional sheds, is 25 m.sq. What type of roof is on your existing shed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's green colored sheeting.

There is another shed on site

What do you mean by the 25 square metre?

Someone needs to go back to primary school !!!

You can build a shed with a floor area of up to 25 m2 without planning permission subject to a few conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Op, you need to explain exactly what he is about here.

Its important because of this

As for the threat, bad start for him, total dick.

Apply for retention for the reasons given above

😴

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

" evidence to show it was built 8 years ago...."

Google Earth Pro and wind the clock back to 2014/15

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sorry!!! 😱 Lucky I am not a quantity surveyor or engineer! 😅

Thanks very much for all the replies.

You have all been a great help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sorry DOCARCH, that statement just does not add up!😂

😂Keep well.

C52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement