Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Money on booze

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Covid effect has made the figures different since, but in 2019 the On trade was still very buoyant.

2019 On trade €5.42bn, Off-trade €2.22bn.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

• I’m telling you that a few drinks of a weekday or at the weekend is not going to kill you.

Im suggesting you stop suckling on the Kool-Aid if you seriously think that it’s true.

• i have it on good authority that oxygen is slowly killing us all. Maybe we should stop breathing it in everyday.. 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That is indeed a possible scenario, though a fairly unlikely one. If you’re going to open a €50 bottle of wine, are you really going to let it go off for five or six days before you finish it?

A more likely scenario is drinking thirty 500ml cans of Carlsberg (2 x 15 can slabs, €26 per slab with Tesco Clubcard) which would be doing a fair bit of damage if done consistently. A lot might depend on the mix of pub sale and home drinking in the €50 - €100 target.

The existence of other risks doesn’t make the risks of alcohol dissappear. There are indeed risks from other substances, activities and genetics. Alcohol is still harmful, with no safe level of consumption; https://time.com/6248439/no-safe-amount-of-alcohol/

Do you have any source for those claims? Are you really saying that a moderate drinker, sensible with diet and lifestyle otherwise is at no greater risk than a non-drinker who is also sensible with diet and lifestyle?

There is no safe level of alcohol consumption. €50-€100 of supermarket booze every weekend will absolutely impact your health, and very likely your longevity.

• Advertisement

Totes Hilaire, right?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/sorting-out-the-health-effects-of-alcohol-2018080614427

new study analyzed data from nearly 600,000 people who drank at least some alcohol, and monitored their health over time. They found that regardless of gender, higher alcohol consumption was associated with a higher rate of stroke, fatal aneurysms, heart failure, and death. When compared with people who drank less than seven drinks per week:

• Adults drinking seven to 14 drinks per week could expect, on average, a six-month shorter life expectancy as of age 40
    • Those drinking 14 to 25 drinks per week could expect a shorter life expectancy by one to two years
    • Those drinking more than 25 drinks per week could expect a shorter life expectancy by four to five years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Not really, I spend less than €50 / month on alcohol, that is €40 for drinks in a pub and €10 for one-two bottles of beer at home.

My source is my cop on and having some independent thought and not having some quack trying to get numbers to fit a narrative to obtain their PhD make my mind up for me.

Not the mention loads of local aul fellas horsing pints into them in their 60s and 70s while other more 'heathly' men are cold in their graves.

Do you research online before you parkake in all life's activities? Like eating, going for a shower, getting the ride. I could probably find 'studies' that show those activities are risky as well.

I'd sooner take the risk of lashing into the pints than cycle in traffic in busy city streets that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you use a simple Vacu Vin device which can be purchased for about €25 wine will easily be drinkable for six days.

This will allow the drinker to enjoy a pleasant drinking experience without serious health implications.

For someone with disposable income to spend on drink it may be an interesting option.

Obviously drinking too much beer will not be part of a healthy lifestyle.

I take any medical stats with a pinch of salt but anybody including myself who thinks drinking is a free ride medically is deluded.

Various factors intersect with people but booze ain't healthy pure and simple. Even though socially it has a lot of value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Well then stop navel-gazing and just quit drinking if it concerns you so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Drink if it's your thing but why do those who drink a lot wrap it in self-deprecating humor trying to distance themselves from the actual drinking, the best one I ever heard was..I might be a bit of an alcoholic they had to put 'bit' between the words I and alcoholic.

I never drank much and neither my first husband nor second husband ever drank much but I have seen people do dreadful things while drunk.

OK my main focus is the cost. I was just wondering how much people spend. Pure and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Theres about a million variables at play between people who die relatively young and some auld lads who remain alive and kicking despite very frequent feeds of pints and probably plenty of other excesses.

Piss loads of booze damages your health. End of story. Some get luckier than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hmm.. I was thinking the same myself. For a poster initially interested in what people spend, they seem far more invested in the evils of it.

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus. I'm only responding to tangents. I don't deny facts on booze that's all

My main interest is on cost and expenditure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Why does it matter what other people spend on drink? If you can afford it and don't have an alcohol addiction what exactly is the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

€100 Westbury Hotel or €100 Lidl cans??

You think its a lot. But you don't feel its too much. I assume. I'd be more concerned about the litres and the % by volume than the nominal currency cost. Unless its taking over your net pay.

Otherwise, its dark outside and now miserable again so get it down you 🏆😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

That would be serious drinking. I drink 8 cans of cider and 4 Guinness most weekends over Friday and Saturday night. I go out for 6 pints of a midweek, Tuesday or Wednesday every second week. There might be the odd big social night which would replace the cans at weekend. 100 quids work of cans leave me in some hape over a weekend. Just wouldn’t be capable of drinking it and I can put a few away when in the mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't drink anymore, best decision for my mind and body imo. And while I'd love to get back the, probabably thousands, I spent on booze over the years, it was what it was at the time. Just like anything, it's only too much if it negatively interferes with the rest of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not sure if there is some underlying issue here but just assuming for now that we are talking about finances.

If you think about how well off people approach their drinking it might help to give some perspective.

Imagine if you were a multi millionaire and money was no object, you'd still have to come to terms with how much you drink.

Mentally and physically you would still only be able to consume the same amount as today.

You wouldn't be able to depend on financial restraints to control your consumption of alcohol.

You can do some research assess your options and try to rationalise your situation for yourself on your own terms.

If that doesn't work for you perhaps you might consider seeking counselling.

Presumably, you rely on your own 'independent thought' when you or your family members are sick and need medical intervention? Stay away from those damned PhDs and just treat yourself with your independent thought, right? Just a hair's breadth away from the anti-vax genuises there.

Yeah, be careful to stay away from all that city cycling, you might end up halving your cancer risk or something;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No tbh spend very little these days.

I used to spend a lot in my 20s and early 30s.

Interesting view. Yeah I'm probably maxed out in terms of amount.

I just get a bit guilty about it as it is an expensive hobby in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I've had health issues for the last 18 months and its down to alcohol even tho I thought I was a fairly moderate drinker.

Bottle of wine with food and half a dozen bottles of beer at the weekend. Maybe a few beers midweek.

However I had been drinking regularly since the age of 17 and its a cumulative effect.

I quit for six months and my health improved so I went back to drinking and the health issues returned.

I've now quit again about a month ago and feel a little better.

I don't regret the money I spent on alcohol cos I enjoyed my drink but I do regret damaging my health cos it's my and everybody else's most important asset.

• Advertisement

Yes, I rely on my "independent thought" and go to the doctor. Not someone who goes around with a clipboard and questionnaire on alcohol consumption and puts 2+2 together to come up with 5.

i hope you are not following the low fat, high carbs diet peddled by researchers for years that increased obesity in America to levels never seen before. Advice that has been thoroughly debunked in recent years.

It's only in recent months I found it getting expensive. Till recently four pints for just under €20 was still good value I found. That's a solid start for a night for me anyway. Another couple or three on top of that would be the makings of a good night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Reading some of the nonsense here makes me think I somehow travelled decades back in time to when the dangers of alcohol were still unproven. Next thing they'll be telling us that smoking isn't bad for you either.

All of your doctor’s expertise in diagnosing and treatment is based on those same damned PhDs who assess the harm resulting from alcohol. Great example of cognitive dissonance here.

Wrong again. Treatment used and trusted by medical industry come from drugs and equipment that must meet strict efficacy standards from bodies like the FDA.

Not from the flip flopping researchers that change their minds every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Every two or three weeks anyway. Perhaps more often in the summer.

• Advertisement

This is truly hilarious. Do you reckon that the PhDs working on alcohol harm research are totally different animals from the PhDs working on drug and equipment research? No overlap between the two? No common regulatory practices, common journals, common standards at all?

Who do you think you're kidding, except yourself of course?

I don't care if there is overlap or not but I know once medical imaging, drugs and treatments are on the market, they are well proven and tested by regulators and through use.

Unlike the windbags putting numbers together in a study with no hard evidence definitively showing physical damage from alcohol. That's why every study is loaded with caveats. Luckily some of us have eyes and can see plenty of hardened drinkers flying along into old age.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

We also see plenty of hardened smokers flying along into old age, but we know well that smoking kills through lung cancer and other harms. Maybe it's just the oul few pints that want to delude ourselves about?

Exactly. Now you get it at long last.

The old smokers still going have a continuous cough and you can hear the gravelly sounding voice. Damage is very evident.

If only damage to livers was so visible. I guess we have to wait for it to get to end-stage before we'll convince ourselves that alcohol causes harm.

Tis self-delusion central round here, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

If it's just a money thing then it really comes down to your personal finances. I could spend more than I think is healthy so for me it comes down to units. I drink about 10 cans over fri and sat and am in my late 40s. Try take 5 nights off. I go out once a month with mates and probably have 8-10 pints. Not great but I'm comfortable with my levels.

When I was in my 20s and early 30s I was processing about 30-40 pints a week. Aahh the good aul' days.

Let's not kid ourselves, it really is bad for your health. It is also bad for people around you and society at large. Didn't stop me though

• Advertisement

Thanks to all the input. I really didn't want to comment on the health side too much. Yeah I'm no fan of being lectured by this or that health expert.

Because it seems to be in so many areas now. Intrusive.

But excessive booze is no good for anyone over time.

We all have access to information in so many ways we ain't going to decide on drinking based on boards. Ie

If you're saying you're maxed out in terms of expenditure, then theres definitely an issue here and you need to have a friendly chat with someone. Your desire for gargle is bumping up against the hard reality of finite funds.

Now, this may well stem from you giving most/all of your pay to your wife to run the house. As my father did. And therefore, if you were spending house money, of course you'd feel guilty (he didnt drink or spend frivolously). If the house is running fine and ye have agreed sums for your individual discretion, then fine again. And you have your budget.

I think you'll get very helpful posts, like Elperellos, if you zone in precisely on what you're seeking.

It is entirely normal to feel guilty over spending money frivolously in a couple. Its also entirely normal for some people to seek alcohol as comfort, particularly on these never-ending dark winter nights. Even those who cycle pushbikes can succumb to it!!

I like brandy and wine. A LOT. I have multiple degrees/diplomas (and many do). I don't need anyone's professional advice as to what is good or bad for me. A hangover (lessons learned module) beats a PhD hands down. A feed of brandy also beats whatever vaccum it just filled. Should one need it. Not a viable longterm plan. But if you like (or need) a few pints, have them and enjoy the lubricity they bring you. There will be times where you won't want it. I believe it damages the mind and, moreover, the psychic machinery. But it soothes also. So each to his own.

I meant maxed out in terms of amount of booze

If I kept it to current levels of 200-250 euro a month I could afford it. At the moment

Ok, I get that's what you meant by maxed out. But based on your original post, I'm not sure at all what you wanted to know when you started this thread. I defer to greater beings...

And I'll toast ye all with a wee sniffter

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I used live right by a beer store with amazing selection. I would wander over 2 to 4 times, sometimes 5 time a week and get 2 to 6 cans, depending on the occasion. Now I live farther from a decent beer store so make large purchases less frequently.

It's difficult to say if this has overall made much difference to my consumption but I think I drink less at home now. Which, is probably a good thing.

To answer the OP's question, I'm not too worried about the amount I spend. I enjoy craft beers so I don't mind spending a bit more per can of quality beer rather than a 24 pack of mediocre mass produced beer. I like variety too, seen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement