Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Can’t wait for the incoming article in tomorrows Times 😜😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

Is that going to happen, looks like at least 3 on the way in to land on 10L at the moment, and some still taxying out to 10R for departure

Edit 1411UTC looks like Ryanair taxying for 10L departure......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Yep first one off was a Ryanair to Tenerife and it turns left slightly and goes right over Feltrim Quarry.

Loud-ish enough from the front of the house which faces that way and then I sat in the back room for the second Ryanair and couldn't really hear anything.

Am I right in saying that the 738's are a bit louder than their Airbus counterparts? Will report back if one of the big dirty 330's take off 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

No A330 departure due for over an hour.

A320’s that still have the old extendable landing lights would be “louder” as a result of the whistley sound the airflow makes… but I think most have been retrofitted with more aerodynamic bulb housings which reduce that…. Otherwise I’d say the 73’s are louder. On that note, living in Sandyford I find the MAX’s the loudest of the narrowbody’s we see in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

A MAX just took off and I think you are right!

Im just giving my own experience with no scientific data other than my ear! They pass my house at about 7000 when on approach so it could be the airflow making the difference… less of a factor when an aircraft is at take off power I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Going out over Paddy’s Hill all right.

In the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

A320 series aircraft make an odd “hollow” sound on approach when the speedbrakes extended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The butterfly aperture around the fuel outflow port on the A320 CEOs was noted as causing a great deal of noise on approach, there's a mod available on the type but not sure EI availed.

The very high bypass ratio engines make a distinct noise IMO on the 777-300ER and the 321Neo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is what we want - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ShTUVIzCI

Would love to have seen it once, but maybe not live underneath it!

BAC 1-11s do their thing - this would cause consternation on a 28R departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

How did they all "cope" back then? Wasn't there an approach path over Ballymun for the old runway?

Prior to 10/28, runway 05/23 was the primary runway but 16/34 was also used when weather dictated. The approaches to these runways, and departure paths, involved some overflying of residential areas, though of course things were not as built-up as they are now. Departures off 23 with a turn over the Glasnevin area were commonplace, regardless of noise. The 16 approach was (is?) probably the least populated, though you wouldn't think that, based on the recent media reporting. The 34 approach comes in over Clontarf/Beamont/Santry, which are long-established areas.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

05 was rarely used for landings, as there was no ILS on that end, and the only aid at that time was the PAPI, when the construction of 28(L) started, the 05 approach lights were removed, so effectively it was downgraded to a visual only approach, which most of the time wasn't an issue as such, it was a rare direction, but I have one recollection from a long time ago of coming in to Dublin on a cold January morning, and having to hold south of Killiney for about 30 minutes while the weather cleared enough for a change from 05 to 16, which made for an interesting approach and landing, given a wind of 05 at around 25 Kts, breaking out of cloud to see the runway lights on the passenger side of the centre bar of the windscreen was not a normal experience.

ATC had to change to 16 to get traffic in, due to a snowstorm passing through, it was below VFR minima, and they wanted to clear the backlog of jet arrivals before I got clearance to approach, I had plenty of fuel to allow me to hold, but when I did eventually get to come in, it was a challenge to get it right with that wind, the only runway other than 23 that had an approach aid was 16, everything else was visual at that time.

29/11 would have been an option for me in a light twin, I regularly used it for departures with an early left turn towards Killiney to clear the 23 departure profile, and it was used occasionally for jet traffic if it was a really strong wind, and things like the Shorts 360's used it, but there was no aids on that runway either, so on that particular morning, for landing, it was 16 with the ILS or a diversion to somewhere else, in those days, Shannon or Belfast.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I think 16 only gained the ILS in the early/mid-1980s. Prior to that it was a VOR approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Planning permission gained for the 16 tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

On the face of it, seems like a good idea for the benefit of airport operations into the future. Can't remember if the Ryanair submission had merit or just following the usual moan at anything the Daa do or plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

landed 10l today first time, still missing 10l takeoff and a 28r landing for the full set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It would surely have opened a can of worms if Ryanair's "The DAA can only afford this by charging us more" complaint had worked. Would I then be able to object to my local Lidl redeveloping, on the grounds that they might increase prices to pay for it...?

Ryanair has deep pockets and has consistently objected to any developments at DUB where it will not be a direct beneficiary. In the case of the tunnel, assuming that this enables the western side of the airfield to be used more and eventually further developed, Ryanair should benefiot indirectly, in that the whole airfield should operate more efficiently than is currently possible.

• Re Runway 34, a decade or two ago a pilot not so familiar with the approach in darkness took the lights on a hotel in Santry area to be PAPI and was in serious danger of colliding with it. There’s an AAIU report somewhere out there about it. It was a charter airline which stood in for some more regular airline iirc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

What seems to have very much not been mentioned in respect of the tunnel is that the west apron is used at certain times of the day, not throughout as is the case on the east side, and some of the traffic that will be able to use the tunnel is not small fast moving vehicles, we're talking significant freight trains, handling equipment and fuel tankers, to name but three, all of which are very definitely better well separated from aircraft that are either landing or departing using 16/34, or moving to stands using the same runway when it's not in use for arrivals or departures.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

http://www.aaiu.ie/node/236

This carrier (now defunct) had aircraft based at Dublin that summer. It wasn't a stand-in. The hotel location is north of Ballymun centre. This is the same hotel that caught fire in March 2018. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43493195

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Your thinking of the City North hotel, the hotel the crew saw was the Clayton which is 1km or so east and almost directly in line with the approach to 34

Business jets (which make up a significant enough element of DUB movements) now park on the west side also, as do the day-stopping cargo aircraft, the daily Ethiopian transit flights and other ad hoc visiting aircraft. The majority of vehicles associated with these operations currently have to take the northern internal perimeter road all the way around the north runway - a very inefficient system, especially when ground handling resources are under pressure. The airport are right to opt for a tunnel, especially given the almost constant stream of aircraft taxiing around the ramps and via runway 16/34.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Late to the party on this one, but there are definitely some cases of loud aircraft over Bray / Greystones. It's a tiny fraction and not at all common, a complete non-issue IMO, but the number of planes that are loud enough that they'll get your attention when they fly over your house is greater than none.

The main culprits are the late night arrivals from the Canaries, which seem to take an approach path that brings them out to sea over Greystones and Bray.

Advertisement