Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Rte interviewing an accidental landlord who's telling their sob story about having to sell up and exit the market.

The landlord is English... RTE trolling the nation 🤣

I don't see short term rentals ever going away. While the state can try and legislate it out of existence they don't have the means or willpower to enforce restrictions on short term lets. If they make the Irish market unpalatable for AirBnB I'm sure some other website will quickly fill the gap if they ever decide to leave. Its a very lucrative business without the problems long term tenants bring and is cost effective for tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do you think RTE should broadcast only one perspective of the rental crisis? I think it is equally important that people understand why small LLs like that guy/gal are leaving, and why the sector doesn’t appeal to small investors.

It was the fact the LL was English that I commented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Advertisement

Why is that significant? Does it matter what nationality a LL is?

Given our recent history with English landlords I found it ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

This depends on where the property is, a lot of Airbnb’s are holiday homes in tourist towns that the owners let out when they’re not using them, especially towns poorly serviced by hotel accommodation, look at the likes of Tramore in Waterford, population of just over 10,000, but in the summer over 600,000 visit, there’s only two properish hotels, the sands and the majestic, three if you count O’shea’s, but that’s just rooms over a pub.

You ban airbnbs and towns like tramore will be crucified, if ever a town relied on the tourist season that’s one, plenty others around the country, these airbnbs won’t be converted to LTR’s as I said they’re holiday homes give or take, mostly owned outright, they just won’t be let out to tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I agree with what you are saying here.

AirBnB and their like provide an essential service to a lot of tourist towns. Without those properties, the town will die economically.

But if the govt priority is to purchase said homes, which are much cheaper than homes in Dublin, and then make them social housing or refuge accom, then they are enabling long term accommodation and removing people from the housing list.

Whether this is a good thing for Tramore, is another question entirely.

On a side note on that why do we never hear anyone wanting to repurpose caravan parks and put them into use, surely if going after holiday lets, then this is obvious? Seeing as there are far more mobile homes in place that are serviced and there are even loads of them around Dublin?

• Advertisement

that article seemed to suggest the LL woumd have to pay CGT on rental income if they sd the properrt. Is that correct?

I thought CGT would be liable on the price purchased vs price sold, since rental income has already been taxed each year the property is rented?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

I'm aware of several former council houses that are full time air bnb's on the West Coast in a popular town. That towns population fell below 1000 recently, loosing its status as a town, resulting in the withdrawl of many public and commercial services. Hotels are idle and falling into disrepair

Tourism is hampered by the lack of housing for predominantly low paid tourism services employees

Go back 1 decade and you will remember that the west coast was ghost estate central. What happened all these homes. Did we allocate so many to tourism that we priced out the people that live there.

With WFH embedded in many workplaces, does it not present the opportunity to repopulate these areas with workers on sustainable incomes that breathe life back into these towns 52 weeks of the year rather than 12

Don't be under any illusion that airbnb's and there owners are the saviour of these areas

I guess if the AirBnB ban comes in it will still apply to caravan parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

How did towns like Tramore survive before Airbnb started in Ireland? It has only been popular for about 10 years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Traditionally these houses would have been rented by ordinary advertising. There was Donedeal, Buy and Sell before than. Board Failure used to have a register etc. AerBnB is just a newer technology similar to Hotels and Bookings.com

Slava Ukrainii

Don't you worry the state is funding new office buildings to ensure we avert a shortage

Limerick Twenty Thirty, the property development vehicle of Limerick City and County Council, and ISIF have appointed John Sisk & Son to design and construct the 10,000 sq m Opera Square site-wide basement and the six-storey One Opera Square office building.

One Opera Square will be located at the corner of Michael Street and Ellen Street and comprise of six flexible-use floors that can accommodate several tenancies per floor and up to 1,000 employees

Minister for Housing Darragh O'Brien commented that the development would be "transformative" for Limerick, adding that the government would fund "important regeneration projects" to tackle vacancy and derelictions.

No mention that this site dominated by Georgian architecture was allowed to fall into vacancy and dereliction

Limerick City Council record in development projects should provide confidence that this project will be a success

That’s what I’m interested in, if you ban Airbnb’s do you not have to do the same to caravan parks where owners let out their mobile homes when they’re not using them? They are perfectly good homes and I don’t see how you can go after one section of society in regards to this and not the other

I see your point but again, that issue is rooted in govt house provision policy.

If the govt built enough social houses then tourism workers can avail of those properties and are therefore able to provide services into the town.

if the town has 100 council houses, govt sells them all off at a discount to the tenant, its then the tenants perogative to rent it out/AirBnB/Sell etc as it is now their property. Bought and paid for.

The break in the chain is that the govt needs to build 100 more social homes to replace the stock it removed, or, if it cant afford to build 100 new social homes, dont sell the stock in the first place!

If the hotel is run down, is that not because either a) there isnt sufficient tourist demand or b) the price point for the hotel is too high vs AirBnB and other accom.

Thats just market economics.

Look at Dublin. AirBnB everywhere yet there is a hotel opening in the city every 2 or 3 months and has been for the past 3 or 4 years. new 150 bed premier inn opened last week in town as an example.

I agree that WFH can help breathe new life into rural areas, but those fully remote jobs seem to be quite rare, meaning you still generally have to be within bolting distance of the office if you are in 2 or 3 days a week.

Maybe its chicken and egg....if you are fully remote you can move down the country. But the town you are looking at is desolated and unnatractive. So why move from Dublin where all the infrastructure and facilities are.

Its a tough one to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

Last week it was 1000 euro electricity bills this week food... budgets are getting tighter and tighter ..

Irish now shopping little but often to manage surging food prices

According to research group Kantar, grocery price inflation rose to 16.4pc in the 12 weeks to 23 February.

Food prices are now overtaken energy as the fastest rising item across the European Union, according to the latest figures from Eurostat

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

If we had sufficient hotels in the city then we wouldn’t need alternatives. Hotels don’t have cleaning fees or rules for stripping beds before you leave.

I often feel the anti-hotel astroturfing online is paid for / facilitated by hotel alternatives.

Hotel alternatives have very large and well funded lobbying teams.

• Advertisement

Most are not advertised anymore as word of mouth and return business fill them up quickly. What's on the portals is just the tip of the ice berg

Would suggest as middleground that owners enter an arrangement to rent out to city workers off season, who then could rent in City for summer months from surplus college accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Agree. A lovely place I rent in Kerry, the owner refuses to use the usual platforms. So yes, she has clients she knows of and they text her what weeks they want to rent her let.

Living the life

So you would advocate more hotels in Dublin?

I am not disagreeing, but a reaosonable amount of hotels across the country are out of bounds to tourists snd business travellers due to Asylum Seekers and Refugees.

I think about 22% of rooms are allocated to the above and the percentages are as high as 50% in some counties outside Dublin.

So we probably need additional accom via AirBnB etc at least in the short term, to compensate for the shortfall imposed by the govt and their Refugee policy.

Interesting that the govt doesnt build social houses.

The govt then also restricts hotel usage to accommodate refugees and the govt is considering restricting AirBnB, which is serving as a release valve for the tourism industry & was required to protect against restrictions on tourist beds that were self imposed by the govt in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

Austrian member of ECB looking for another 2 percent rise in rates: ECB's Holzmann calls for four more 50 bps rate hikes- Handelsblatt

These properties will still need to abide by the regs though. Its isnt the case that if you dont advertise you can continue as a holiday let, unrestricted. You still have to have the necessary planning permission and approval from the council.

Are you having a laugh?

I have an Airbnb, stripping beds isn’t one of the rules, and of course Hotels include the cost of cleaning in their rates, they just don’t tell you.

Airbnbs are absolutely fantastic when you travel, especially as a family or group of friends.

Far as I know the whole thing won’t be in place until after September at that stage the summer season is over and people will be deciding whether they’re going to bother letting next year, I’d predict a lot in tourist towns will just be taken off the market, others in cities will be sold or again put to one side until they figure out what to do.

One thing I don’t see happening is going to LTR’s, people who have Airbnb’s are a cottage industry within a cottage industry, and don’t want to take on everything that goes with being a landlord.

That said if taxes are slashed to bits then they may give it a go, just at the moment it doesn’t look like it’s worth it.

using Tramore again, most someone could expect a month in rent there is around 1200 at a push, you come away with less than 580 a month out of that, I don’t think people need the money that badly to risk their asset

Post edited by The Spider on

exactly. It isnt worth the hassle and the risk of a non paying tenant thar could be in the property for literally years.

You are also leaving yourself wide open to a long term eviction ban, which some tenants will take advantage of as the housing crisis worsens.

And during that period you just have to hope the tenant keeps paying until the govt finally lets you off the roller coaster and allows you to close the contract and sell.

New house build starts are down 13% in jan and the slow down likley to continue, coupled with more interest rate rises on the way. A futher reduction in property being delivered is only going to tighten the screw on eviction bans.

Sell while you can is the sane bet.

Youth, non home owner inflation must be around 15%, ouch. That will slow the ftb conveyor belt

Rates will stunt the investment funds

Who's left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I know not Ireland but Australia where I believe they have a shortage of housing or hard to rent?

Living the life

Advertisement