Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

I have started charging my Bz4x from mid February and is doing delivery work. I am using ESB public charging and my app shows a balance of 240 euros. It looks like they haven't taken anything from my bank account. Do I need to call them and pay the bills or will it be taken automatically. I am asking because it has been around two months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You’re better off asking in the ESB eCars thread….

how’s the car anyway? Range? Efficiency?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I think a lot of this will depend on how much drama there is from owners out in the field on the issue.

My main point is that Leafs have had worse issues with rapidgate over the years with surprisingly little drama arising.

Worse in that the Toyotas rapidgate speed is pretty much the Leafs full speed with no rapidgate.

Plus - what's actually the worst aspect of Leaf battery cooling issues isn't the rapidgate reduced charge speed.

But the turtle mode that's activated at 55 to 56 degrees (when viewed on leafspy) battery temperature

Some people have actually treated the latter as a breakdown type issue when it's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

If you're using the public chargind that much maybe is work checking elli.eco which gives you better prices even for ESB. I'm thinking it is not even a month from mid Feb so I imagine they will bill you soon. When I was on the subscription with them the invoice would be issues around 30th and payment debited on the 9th. You can check on your account on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Comer1

That's very expensive usage for three weeks, public charging is mad expensive now. I do 40k per year and it has cost me €350 in electricity since last August, all home charging. Can you get a home charger installed?

• Advertisement

bz4x

Car is very nice, fast acceleration, lots of space, no sound, looks gorgeous and huge compared to Ioniq 5 or Tesla. Nice shape, headlights and day lights look fantastic, back side also looks nice. Everybody is looking at my car; probably bz4x is very rear in roads.

At higher speeds in motorways, I can hear that big noise as we sit in an aeroplane. Not sure this happens in other luxury cars like bmw, benz or Tesla because I never travelled in any of these luxury cars.

Main thing is its appearance. It has a very nice shape and looks big. RAV4 also looks nice,. This one looks beautiful than RAV4.

Since I am driving during evenings and weekends for food deliveries, I am tired of driving. My legs are in pain, sitting long time in car seat. So I am not a person to tell about driving comfort. I always used small cars like Yaris, Fiat Punto etc.. So this car looks so big. In motorways and such nice roads, it is very nice to drive. I usually drive mostly in residential areas, so a lot of bumps and gutters. But the car is so good to park, reverse; it has front sensors and reverse cameras. So better than my previous yaris.

Website says you will get 500 km range; but practically it gives 390 to 420 km on full charge. But here in Ireland we need to switch on either heater or A/C. Then again a 100 km drop. so I would say we will get around 300 plus km range on full charge.

0 to 80 percent charges faster on a fast charger. Rest slow charging.

Its a good car for families or for those working. Not sure its good for taxi drivers, may be they need to charge one more time during a day.

I am doing deliveries on evenings and weekends. On a Sat or Sunday, I drive around 250 kms. So its okay.

a very good option is home night charging. Since my wife kicked me out of my own house and took over, I am sharing in a house, so using public charging. My previous Yaris hybrid costs me around 75 euros per week; this one also the same; I am driving around 750km in a week. If it was home charging it would have cost me only 30 euros.

At the end, I would recommend this car, but if Lexus e version was available, I think I would buy that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Since my wife kicked me out of my own house and took over,…

Your review of the car is very thorough! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I watched the Bjorn efficiency video and it’s not great…… 300Wh/km at 120km/h, reducing to about 205Wh/km at 90km/h..

he also mentioned in this video that when he’s prepping for the 1,000km challenge normally he tops up on an Ionity and leaves at 100%, but in the bz4x he’ll need to be charged up to 100% on AC as he wants to keep the daily limit of 2 DC charges (before the car rapidgates) for during the actual test, and not before it even starts…..

this definitely won’t be a car for road tripping any sort of distance in…

• Advertisement

The most exciting fact is that on the second day of getting bz4x, I went for charging at Kimmage which has a high power charger. A taxi driver, who is an Irish man was also charging there. He has the same story. He said his wife kicked him out of the house and he is now living in an apartmnt, so using public charger and it costs him much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'm really struggling to see the financial benefits of going fully electric in Ireland if you're charging on the public network which is unreliable and eye wateringly expensive. Seems you'd be better off in an efficient petrol or even a diesel if you use the motorway a lot. Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

.... these wifes.....

I'm due to get mine at the end of the month.... Just in case, I'll have a look to see how the public charge network looks in my neck of the woods

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well if you get kicked out as well we can safely say the BZwhatever turns your wife against you.

You are right. If you have home night charging its fine. Now I am sitting in my car in this cold rainy evening waiting for delivery. I can see that range is getting reduced by one km every 5 minutes because heater is on. I think this is the case with all electric cars. My previous yaris hybrid was always giving me 22km per litre of petrol whatever be the climate no matter a/c or heater is on.

So I would recommend everyone to buy a hybrid car- my choice will be prius new model for sedan and corolla cross for suvs.

It must be a serious stressor looking at your charge depleting like that. Is there a heat pump in the BZ4X? Watched Bjorn Nyland the other night and he was saying that the heater on the Toyota was using more than double the energy of Hyundai/Tesla EVs. That's unacceptable in my book.

I don't think that's the case in every other EV.

As far as I remember it didn't happen in my ID3, it doesn't happen in my Ioniq 28 and it definitely doesn't happen in my Ioniq 5 as far as I've noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

That's impressive Andrew. You're not entirely happy with Toyota's EV. But you're able to convince yourself that the problem is with EV technology and not Toyota's implementation of it. You have my sympathies for your current situation, but I think you need to start blaming Toyota for some of the problems you're having.

This. Andrew's logic is flawed. It's not so much EVs; it's the BZ4X. I do sympathise. On the bright side you could probably get rid and not make a loss. Someone will want one without having to wait.

Don't say like that. You tesla and hyundai agents are trying to degrade toyota. It is nice car. It was idle from morning. It happened only first few minutes when the car got heated up. The bookings for bz4x is so high that toyota stopped taking new orders. I will keep this car for next 10 years;it is large, nice to drive and will be reliable

• Advertisement

You're being silly now. We're just people with an interest in EVs observing a half baked execution. I'm sure none of us work for Hyundai or Tesla. In fact, there are two Toyotas outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

Did they honour your original trade in price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

Almost entirely, I have to say they were very fair, but I have also took a strong negotiating position.

In the end, with an extra 10k km more on the car, compared to the mileage given at the time of the deal, I only lost 500 euro.

Not too bad in my opinion, even though we shoukd not be penalised due to Toyota's inability to deliver in time.

I'll be able to provide more info once I'll have the deal done, in order to offer accurate info for all interested.

What was really telling from Bjorn’s video was he mentioned there is almost zero interest in the bz4x in Norway….

In Norway!, EV land….. where full EV’s had something like 70% market share last year.

that’s pretty telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

have you seen the camp mode video of the not to be named car? Over 100h of idling with the AC on in freezing temp. Propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,122 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The Hyundai's have heat pumps as standard which are a great saving on battery maybe your id3 had one too although it's an expensive option on the id3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If you have no alternative but to use public charging (e.g. ESB / Ionity, but not Easy Go), it might be worth signing up to a monthly sub with someone like Elli. (see here for more info)

For example: If you sign up to the €14.99 per month rate, you get decent per kWh pricing compared to normal ESB / Ionity (once you use something like 50 or 60kWh per month, you're already ahead of the game in terms of price paid per kWh).

• Ireland Standard (e.g. ESB) 0.37 EUR/kWh (AC - 180-min overstay fee) 0.47 EUR/kWh (DC - 90-min overstay time)
    • IONITY 0.35 EUR/kWh 0.35 EUR/kWh

It can still be expensive, but just not as expensive as the normal ESB rates

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭eagerv

and huge compared to Ioniq 5 or Tesla.

Perhaps compared to a Tesla Model 3, but the dimensions wouldn't back that up comparing Tesla Model Y and Hyundai Ioniq 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Rav4 Hybrid probably a better overall bet than the BZ4X until Toyota sort out those big limiting factors.

These cars are only 'big' to someone used to scooting around in a Yaris 😂

Advertisement