Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone can go back and delete old messages for anyone which is why it's odd because he's clearly sat down to go through and delete old messages.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I thought it odd as if I go back to delete a message it only gives me the option to delete for myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭YellowLead

So true. People are often then willing to overlook things because they so want to have been right and to keep that false intimacy going.

Yes you can. He shouldn’t be dating if he can’t handle rejection. They haven’t even met! She owes him nothings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Don’t mention the deletion or ask about it. It’s a sure way to get a reaction or make you doubt yourself. Unless he was just worried about a typo of course

Even still, going back a day or two after is weird, does he want her not to remember or be able to refer back to. It's definitely sus behaviour imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

I can see it from both sides but it sounds like he's emotionally invested and also clingy. Deleting messages and bedroom talk before having even met? I'd be avoiding this one.

What is the point of these people on dating apps who say things like "I love my dogs more than people" and "my kids will always come first"?

Eh, you're trying to sell yourself, so what are you offering to somebody if he will be willing to put you first? Why would anybody go near you if you're making it clear from the outset that you're just looking to be treated like a princess by a doormat (that happens after you have the kids and have moved into the "family home" when the guy has lost all power in the marriage under Irish law but don't tell that to single men.)

Also, change your photos every week. So many of you have the same photos for years. And if you're not showing your vitals (and talking about dogs and children being the centre of your world), you really shouldn't be shocked if every man is swiping left at your profile. Again, other than entitlement what, realistically, are you offering to somebody who is willing to spend valuable time with you? In Irish law, marriage is an infinitely greater risk for men than it is for women. It is the former who are thrown out of the family home and denied shared parenting rights to their children and it is the latter who, extraordinarily, manage to portray themselves as the victims.

Every week!?!?

• Advertisement

You sure you are in the right thread?

The bitter ex husband thread might be elsewhere…

Also..every week? I’d be worried about people who photograph themselves weekly…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Sorry but it was unnecessarily harsh. He has the same right to post here as anyone else. It doesn't matter how he found himself single again and using OD. And his first sentence is valid as well. Coupled people are supposed to be the most important to each other. Kids come second. It is easy when you are with a father of the kids. But how you can teach your kids healthy relationship, if mammy comes first (and vice versa)?

If online dating is making you feel anger then I'd honestly suggest not engaging with it for now.

My advice for anyone is to not take online dating too personally. It's extremely fickle and cold, which is by design.

There are plenty of other ways to meet a partner outside of the apps. I honestly prefer meeting someone organically. I just use the apps just in case I happen to meet someone right for me.

I don't know any parents who would choose their partner over their children. If I did want to date a single parent, I would do so knowing that in certain circumstances their children will always be the number one priority. Anyone who expects to walk into a household with children and automatically be number one is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I think it's good to manage people's expectations of exactly how much time you have to give to a new relationship. But there's a clever way of doing that without alienating potential partners. I wouldn't put this on your profile. Simply stating you have children is enough for most people to know the score. But a conversation you can have early on is...

"I have a busy family life so we may have to juggle from time to time but I'm willing to give it my best shot if you are open to it and don't mind the occasional disappointment when there is a sickness/babysitter problem etc"

Same with dogs. A picture of a dog in your profile means you have a commitment that can't easily be abandoned for sleepovers, and spontaneous weekends away need a bit more planning. If you're not a dog person at all then you're not going to necessarily have an easy time of it with someone who loves dogs and has two or three of them.

But some people can be overly defensive about their "family" and it does come across as off putting I agree. But I just swipe left and don't give it another thought. It's great when people's profiles give off big warning signs about the type of person they are. Saves me time anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Clearly you underestimate the power of star signs and practical plumbing skills, or else you would have agreed with this valuable sermon.

Worked well. Caught me at second date being an Irish rugby match

Online can definitely work for sure. You just have to persevere and might get lucky to make the right swipe at the right time :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

so an update about Saturdays coffee which turned into lunch and hanging out for most of the day and even a few cocktails. it was definitely fun he’s a lovely guy to hang out with and didn’t have a melt down that I paid for the coffees 😂 unfortunately it’s not going to turn into the romance of the century for various reasons but a positive day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Who said that? It is about leaving the option open that the partner might become the most important person with time.

Actually most relationships fail because people are not choosing each other, only choosing kids after birth, or choosing career, mates, booze etc. How many men are complaining that they become sidelined by kids (and they are fathers to these kids!). And how many women say the same about being sidelined by partner's career. Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

I have pictures of all my animals on my profile. I’m not going to risk being deep in a conversation and they throw out a cat or dog or hay alergy. It’s good for people to be aware that also I wouldn’t be able to go on last minute holidays etc.

Speaking as someone who does not have children, if I started dating someone with kids I would never expect to ever rise in importance above the kids. Of course it's not a black and white issue and things will change as the kids grow older and become more independent.

I think "choosing" is not the best term, if we're talking about putting kids first I think it's understandable especially if you're a new partner coming in. With existing relationships, that comes down to communication, I have no doubt that there are partners that neglect their partners when kids come along, this just emphasises my point though, if relationships between biological parents break up because of kids coming first, then there's very little chance of a second partner ever coming first. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it's a completely reasonable thing to put on a profile and it absolutely would not get me riled up. As someone said earlier, it's so easy to just swipe left and move on.

And, yes, I know you weren't the one who was originally riled up.

That was nice that you had a great date. I love those ones that end up going on for hours because you are having so much fun. Shame whatever is wrong is wrong, does that mean there won’t be a second?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

I see a lot of "my kids are my world" profiles as well and funnily enough the ones I've seen don't have what they're looking for on them which could mean they're only after casual. Something like what happened with Confused11811.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Yeah TBH I think your right there. It's happened to me a good few times over the years, including the recent enough lady. I do think me being a male who was an actual single parent and not actually co-parenting made me in some way more compatible with them in their eyes or maybe put them at ease. I was going through similar situation and could relate how it's very isolating being a single parent of very young kids... I suppose they were mutually beneficial relationships/meetings.

Regarding dating and being a single parent it's my opinion that if you put yourself out there as "looking for a relationship" your basically saying you can make time to see someone, you're also leaving the stresses of it behind when you're out with your date. If you can't do that you should consider what you actually want versus what you can give/get.

The same can be said for everyone really.

Why are you directing this at women only 🤣 I reckon women are more likely to have a lot of this stuff sussed out because we think and talk about such things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Do tell ?

Sounds like you got on, is it an attraction thing that didn't happen ? Why not do it again if it was enjoyable ?

Advertisement