Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Dunshaughlin has

Regular buses running to it on Bus Eireann(109, 109A and 109B), I think more but I dont know exactly

Up the road a M3 parkway which has commuter train running every morning/evening into city centre. Off peak it connects via Clonsilla. Under utilised because it doesn't get the traffic it should outside the commuter hours. Yes a small drive away but no congestion charge and free parking.

In reality if the government got the support it would be great to run the train from M3 parkway to Navan like it was original planned.

Like the old people discussion, you now have gone off on a tangent on late shifts. Again a small percentage of people might be working on a late shift compared to the majority of people working.

It would seem you want to spend the entire time trying to find the tiny percentage of people that might be inconvenienced by having to use public transport but in reality the whole point of these discussion is not the tiny percentage, its the large percentage of people who work 9-5 Monday to Friday which they want to move to public transport.

Maybe your next example could be a one legged mother with 15 children she is trying to get 20 miles down the road with lots of dangerous road crossing and having to carry a sheep on her back at the same time 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HoddleGod

Do you have the figures per head of population?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

Well then we also need to have the discussion about the level of population we think can fit in the city and its environs - obviously, the greater the population, the worse the congestion and that applies whether they are all moving by bus or by car; the greens could also learn about GDP per capita because all they are doing currently is destroying the quality of life in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Everything is so simple in your head, must be a very clear space...

When you start working you'll figure out that a Nurse working in a city centre hospital and working an overnight 12 hour shift shouldn't be punished with extra taxes for wanting to drive his/her own car home and get some sleep.. Maybe when you need a Nurse or hospital worker to look after you and wipe the drool off your chin you'd want them alert and rested...?

I don't think you even understand or believe in what you claim to be arguing about...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

Do you mean that people are not willing to limit themselves to one foreign trip annually, and also unwilling to drive small cars suitable for cities, which in turn frees up road space for other users?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah Eamon Ryan.. a man representing a party who got less than 7% of the vote - and that's from those who bothered to turn out!

"But, they've all signed up to it" - of course they have, because this is Ireland where we will flog ourselves to be seen on the "right" side of the latest crusade.. climate change, migration/refugees, identity politics, or whatever it is this week. Our cultural "need" for approval and validation especially on the EU or international stage is well documented! Plus we live in a country where serious and far-reaching policy decisions are being made based on f*cking Twitter trends by politicians who spend far too much time on their feeds and less listening to their actual constituents!

As usual though, ideology and fantasy (which Ryan and his ilk live in) always fades when it runs into the hard wall of reality:

Effect - as others have said, we could cut our national emissions to zero tomorrow and it'll make absolutely no difference to the global "climate crisis". So long as the likes of the US, China, Russia and others do what they like, there will be no change, except that the gullible easily led Irish will live like peasants and own nothing if some here had their way.

Cost - We can't provide sufficient public transport for the users of it as it is. If even 20% gave up their cars, what are they supposed to use instead? Let's not forget either the significant tax take from the motorist. Insurance levys, motor tax, fuel duty, and the VAT on all the ancillary or mandated add-ons: service parts, NCT, parking revenues etc etc. With the shift to EVs the first 3 are already impacted. Where do you think the shortfall will come from?

Commuters - most people do not willingly sit in traffic or drive 90 minutes or more each day for fun. They do it because it's the only way to get to where they need to be at a dependable time and thus keep their jobs or go to college etc.

Time - the argument from the lad who isn't even living here that we should make driving more inconvenient/slow/expensive because we can't expect PT to compete is laughable! Is that not why we have all the bus lanes and signal priority at junctions etc? But again, the notion that people should be happy to make a journey taking 2-3 times as long to get to the same destination is just an example of how out of touch some are with the realities. Most people (especially in our increasingly busy and demanding lives) have little enough free time as it is without willingly reducing it still further for no benefit save to those who will get the warm and fuzzies that "we are doing our part!"

I could go on but there's no point. You can't rationally argue with ideologues, and that's what we're dealing with here unfortunately! Thankfully reality will set in soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so you think nurses are driving into the city centre hospitals every day to work and paying the 12 quid or whatever to park? i bet there are very few on their wages.

i know in st james' they have e-bikes that staff can use to come in and out of work on as they're trying to promote active travel to reduce the demand for parking. the measures suggested in eamons manifesto would greatly help the hospital staff using bikes. but you're just making up scenarios to suit your own agenda, it was old people trying to get milk a couple of pages ago.

these measures are for the greater good overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

But these workers would not be caught by a congestion charge and would have on site parking.

Of course the argument for locating hospitals in the city was that staff live nearby. So that's a bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Park and ride services should be available as far out as the likes of Kildare and kinnegead for people coming into the city to work. becomes a bus service then servicing the industrial areas outside the city on m50 belt, grangecastle and all the places like it. Set it all up on an app and charge a weekly fee for it. Massive car parks at starting points similar to the airport. 15 or 20 minute walk from your stop to your place of work at city end. Congestion would half in a few months if implemented properly. Basically a commuter bus service. Run from 5 am til 7pm with obviously much more at peak times. Amazed that something along this line does not exist. Most commuters hate driving to work.

It's a safety issue, a Nurse should be able to park their cars and have free or heavily subsidised rate.. this is why there's not enough nursing staff in our hospitals..they're all off to places like Dubai where it's 76c a litre of petrol... As you pointed out nurses would have a problem paying €12 an hour to pay so where do you expect them to get the €2,300 to rent a place to live in Dublin?

You expect a nurse who's worked overnight for 12 hours+ to hop on an ebike and pedal 30, 40, 50km home?

We're not all car less cyclists you know, just because you can't seem to stand anyone who isn't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Install proper public transport simples, don't tell people to pay more for their only means of getting in and out of the city centers when the alternative is not available for the vast majority of the population.

You're not all car less cyclists yet. Once the WEF get their way none of us will have cars, or something.

Ok well let's make exceptions to nurses having to pay congestion charges, but there will be very few of them who drive to work. I know doctors have to pay for parking at hospitals so I'd assume nurses are the same. Me moth's actually taking up a job in St James' next month (she'll be cycling to work from D5), I'll ask her to get the low down on how nurses get to work for my own curiousity.

What about the per head figure. The fact is as a country we produce a drop in the ocean compared to China or the U.S. What exactly is a charge for going to the city center going to change except make it more expensive for people who have no public transport alternative to go in. People have to go in otherwise they would not be driving in.

Bullsh*t. Over the years in Dublin I worked with people in offices in the city centre who drove in from places like Crumlin and Artane. Lots of people drive when they have other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bit rich coming from the guy who posts multiple videos showing him blocking buses from progressing on a dual carriageway bus lane despite a perfectly good bike lane alongside...

I've worked all over Dublin city centre and Spencer Dock is about the only place I've worked where - stood outside having a smoke - I didn't think to myself "Where the f*ck are all these people driving to at 11am on a Tuesday morning?"

I'd expect that sort of comment from someone who's never driven, suits your agenda to try hurl a bit of poo at someone when you can only see one side of the argument...

I hope you will also include the delivery drivers who drive their vans into the city to deliver the items for your coconut milk latte and smash avocado toast won't be charged either?

I'm an oat milk man, and I haven't had avocado in ages.

I'd be curious to now how many (and what %) night shift nurses commute 50k.

• Sorry but there’s not enough nurses in hospitals because the HSE won’t pay them properly. They’ve emigrated elsewhere to earn a proper wage for the shite they deal with (both figuratively and literally)

• Advertisement

And lots of people drove in from outside of Dublin. As I said what will this charge change? ans = NOTHING except hit peoples wallets.

It's the total cost of living, the price of everything from transport costs, house ownership/rental and other living costs that's making them leave... It's the plant milk drinking cyclists calling for more taxes on essential workers that i'm sure helps them book their flights to Dubai etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

"Stuart Kirk, the bank's global head of responsible investing, was reportedly suspended in May after he said in a speech: "There's always some nut job telling me about the end of the world."

Later in the presentation, he said:

"Who cares if Miami is six metres underwater in 100 years?

Amsterdam has been six metres underwater for ages and that's a really nice place."

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Will you give over now your spinning. The majority of jobs are based in the city center of the big counties with Ireland having a huge % of jobs. As I said this charge is nothing short of a money grab over an ideology that is flawed when Irelands tiny CO emissions are compared globally and the fact that if you want to compare with London which has not just a superior bus network but the Tube which is quite possibly one of the best rail networks in the world. Give Ireland the Tube equivalent and then you can have all the congestion charges you want pal

A toddler who cant bike it into work thats for sure :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably you are referring to a video which involved a driver overtaking me dangerously.

However, I did not block anyone's progress, bus or otherwise. I was moving, maybe not as fast as they wanted to go but, hey, that's traffic for you! Do you describe every driver travelling in front of you as blocking your progress or is it just cyclists that do this?

I'd also add that the N4 has three lanes plus bus lanes. If a bus comes up behind me, why might they be unable to overtake? Would it be because the three lanes are filled with prefominantly single occupancy cars?

If I cycle in a bus lane, it is because I am legally allowed to do so (and there are signs along the road to show this) and because the "perfectly good bike lane" is actually not perfectly good despite whatever notions you might have! The evidence is that if there is good infrastructure provided, people on bikes will use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

They can't even manage to legalise scooters in two years - something which might actually reduce car usage in towns and cities.

So you are in favour of large tax increases to fund the construction of an underground? Also, when this is being constructed, there would be massive traffic issues with trucks carrying stuff coupled with road closures for a number of years. Would that not be even worse for congestion then?

• Advertisement

Do you have the numbers as to the percentage of nurses driving into citie centre hospitals currently?

Advertisement