Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

15 different schools have contested the last 20 Croke Cup finals with 10 seperate winners.

Kind of blows a hole in the "it's a closed shop farce" argument being peddled here. It appears it's a closed shop farce and a dying competition only when Kierans win.

Three Kilkenny schools compted in A this year. Only Cork, Galway and Tipp (all much bigger counties) had more schools playing A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Jesus girl. You’re expending way too much energy on a trivial matter. Did you get dumped by a Kieran’s lad or some such?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kentu

I'd go for more to be picked as I would think we will end up with say a 36 man panel or so.

So I would probably pick seven from your potentially/Tried: James Bergin, Shane Walsh, Conor Heary, Evan Shefflin, Des Dunne, Niall Brennan and Ronan Corcoran.

And I would think from the under 20 Panel Billy Drennan, Gearoid Dunne and Niall Rowe will definitely stay and I would also give Timmy Clifford an outside chance of being included for Championship panel which would make it 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

With Billy Drennan's league performances I don't see how you can drop him from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

With a bigger panel I would agree with your pick from the Potentially group. Hopefully D Lyng and M Dowling can manage the under 20s to best advantage. If some were to be included on the Senior panel I would , like you, go with B Drennan and N Rowe. Think I'd leave G Dunne with the under 20s as he's still eligible for that grade again next year. T Clifford could be ready for the Senior ranks.

• Advertisement

If your referring to my selection I clearly have him involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think when we are reduced to misogyny we'll leave it at that.

As I said - I'm deliberately leaving out the under 20s in the hope that they can be left to concentrate on the under 20 championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wasn't you it was Grats leaving the under 20s out to concentrate on the U20s

Yeah, and I explained what I was doing in my original post and again in reply to your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

What's the new rule with the u20s?if you play senior you must rest 7days before playing u20?Do you have to rest 7 days if you play u20 and then want to play senior? I don't know how accurate this is but according to Wexford gaa website the u20 round Robin starts the 8th of April away to Wexford and kk seniors are playing Westmeath away on saturday 22nd of april and galway at home the following Sunday at home. I'd expect all the available u20s to play the first couple of matches u20 then it might get tricky. It could be a balancing act with some players. I could be way off but I think when push comes to shove I'd expect the u20s will all be available to mark Dowling for the first few matches anyway.I know the u20 championship will probably be longer with a round robin this year but the u20 all Ireland was the day after we lost to Wexford in the group stages last year. We might not reach the all Ireland final in the u20 or get bet by galway in the leinster final.If we don't finish in the top 3 in leinster at senior it would be very disappointing.All the u20 could be available earlier than we might expect. The lads are getting good exposure in the league. The league has being flat so hopefully the next 2 matches will be a step up. All the u20s have done well to be fair which is a big plus.

Post edited by brookville on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

Totally agree. If Kilkenny play without Drennan and Dunne it completely undermines the competition and makes it hard to gauge the standard.

In fairness to the Kilkenny county board they have the football league complete with championship coming up. It has to be fitted in too

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Plus E Shefflin and J Cuddihy gone from the panel too. More to go this week I'd say.

Seems Evan Shefflin may never make the breakthrough to County if he's gone, a shame because he has been that good a club hurler over last 4/5 years.

Apparently C Heary gone also.

That would be a big surprise. He's well worth a spot on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Very good hurler, but I personally think he is a fraction below the level of a good inter county player. He’s not quick enough for county hurler, and doesn’t make up for it in athleticism.

• Advertisement

Twice the player of some players on the panel. How are Buckley and Fogarty carried instead of Shefflin. Makes no sense, he is 10 years younger and would improve with time. Look at the effort made to improve John Donnelly

Care to pick your panel for the coming championship and nail your colours to the mast? All of us could pick one or two who should or should not be there. The Manager hasn't that luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VillageIdiot87

Jeepers, I surely love Conor Fogarty. He is a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

I have to agree re: Shefflin over Buckley if we are talking about wing back fighting for a place on the panel.

In saying that I do remember that really good Kerry hurler Shane Conway playing for UCC one night against DCU and he gave Shefflin an awful roasting speed wise and Evan was subbed off after 25mins.

His acceleration & athleticism might be coming against him for the very top level of hurling that’s needed nowadays.

A brilliant club hurler though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Alot of hurling on TV this weekend hopefully the weather improves and we see better quality of games.I know teams are trying to time their run after what happened Waterford last year and i dont know if some teams want a league final a couple of weeks before championship. Its probably easier for us we have a few teams we're expected to beat but in munster you have to be ready from the get go.i know it didnt do us any harm when we were winning all irelands but we had strength in depth. Maybe if the gap was a little longer between league and championship things would be different but there's being a lot of shadow boxing and teams trying to blood players.The championship is about 7 weeks away so managers will be starting to settle on their best 15. If we win the next 2 matches we will probably reach a league semi final. Lyng wouldn't say no to a league final.

First up is dublin sunday. We have a good record against them at home and id expect a win. I think we will have learned from the tipp defeat.dublin have done well considering the players who arent available. Donal Burke has being excellent and he has a free role and if he's left unmarked he will punish so I'd expect maybe Mikey butler if fit could be detailed to nullify his influence.Dublin still have good defenders but they will need big performances from Cian Boland,Ronan Hayes and Sutcliffe. Michael Donahoe is rebuilding and he will be given time.

Kk have given alot of players game time. We need to start settling on our two wing backs soon so they're familiar playing together. Hopefully Ronan Corcoran gets a run but Paddy mullen has done well and the next couple of matches will be a much better test.The forwards worked hard against Laois and will be disappointed they didn't get a few goals.Drennan will get more attention so this will be great experience. Himself and Billy Ryan are very reliant on their left and defenders will pick up on this but hopefully a forward or two puts their hand up for inclusion.

I wouldn't put Mikey on Bourke this Sunday. Bigger battles ahead.

Maybe Burke wont play he pulled up with a hamstring the last day. Butler had a knock the last day so he might not be risked. Huw Lawlor is out this weekend so maybe Delaney will be 3 again. Richie hogan could make the bench and village87 pet conor Fogarty is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KKvDUB

E Murphy

T Walsh C Delaney P Walsh

C Kenny R Reid C Buckley

C Fogarty P Mullen

B Ryan J Donnelly P Deegan

B Drennan M Keoghan E Cody

Subs

D Brennan

D O Neill

D Corcoran