Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Completely took their foot off the gas. Awful second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Wonder if the changes just disrupted the rhythm of the team a bit just when they were getting settled, even though it is important to get game time into different players.

On the positives - Carney was very lively again, Cillian was very solid and Tommy Conroy looks sharp after his long lay off. However, the manner in which Ros were able to waltz through the middle time and again just isn't good enough. Number 6 hardly anywhere to be seen each time.

They'll learn things from that game, for sure, but there were some poor mistakes and some old failings - a lack of ruthlessness when out in front, soft goals, plus this thing of passing to a man under pressure or carrying the ball directly into traffic only to get turned over or concede a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

That’s shocking behaviour by Smith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Stamped on Ruane while he was on the ground.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1632420757803343877

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Very disappointed with yesterday, thats a game we should have won by 15 points and they had the chance to win it with the last kick of the game. Not nearly good enough.

Thought Carney, McDonagh and Diarmuid were all very good.

Carr should have had 7 points from play, hes so wasteful, if he can't kick off his left from 25 yards out then he shouldn't be doing it, he really needs McStay to lay down the law with him, that he needs to cut out these brain farts if he wants to start.

Cillian is still brilliant technically and a great man to let the ref know when hes being fouled but he looks slow, first time I've thought hes not a started.

Matty Ruane is sloppy in possession and his "tackles" are ending in frees most of the time now. Flynn was anonymous but he is allowed an off day. Conor Loftus is not providing cover for his defence.

I don't think we'll see the best of Tommy Conroy this year either, very hard to come back in year 1 from such a serious injury. He's also in danger of falling into the Richie Feeney vortex, he didn't play for so long that Mayo supporters have built him up to be David Clifford, hes still a young buck learning his trade

Hopefully yesterday is a wake up call. Looks like it'll be galway in the league final if they win next weekend, based off yesterday they'll beat us. Ideal for them really, we have championship the following weekend while they can go full bore and have a rattle at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I see where you're coming from with Conroy G&R, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the way he was moving yesterday, thought it was a real positive in fact. He hasn't lost any of the pace and they had to resort to dragging him back an awful lot once he had them turned (Thought the ref should have acted on that earlier, it ruined the game).

Ruane has me scratching my head. He doesn't look as fit as most, seems to be laboured when running. His technique was never a strong point and coughs up the ball a fair bit in heavy ground. It's nearly more hope than anything that he'll hit form later than most. His game is built for Croke Park.

I think Cillian is definitely a finisher, this team can do with his cuteness a lot more in the final 20 mins or so.

There was a bit of me thinking that conceding that late chance might have been better for us in the long run. A wake up call is needed. Freedom and confidence is great but you we're being wasteful and letting teams back into games very easy.

It's a funny situation to be on top of the league and fairly concerned at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I've come round to thinking we should go flat out for the league and play a second string v Roscommon.

The Connacht championship runs from April 9th until May 7th and then you're out in the group stage May 20th.

Mayo would be better off losing to the Rossies, having a six week break before the championship. It would mean a tougher group but worst case scenario we have to play a preliminary quarter with a week's break after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Nice to get the win but plenty to work on. I thought DOC and Carney were very good. Carr got 3 nice points but missed 2-3 others.

The goals and the way Roscommon were able to come back from 8 down without really playing great was worrying though - maybe better to learn these things now rather than later in the year. I thought it was odd that AOS spent so much time around the middle when he came on rather than going in to FF, not sure it worked that well although he caught one great kickout.

Hard to see us not making the final from here, even if we were to lose the last two, chances are that we'd make it. I presume McStay will continue giving gametime to some of the younger & returning players - wouldn't mind seeing Conor McStay get a start. Galway & Roscommon will be fairly happy too, although they both probably need another point to be safe

Have been saying for a while that Ruane is too sloppy. He will often bring the ball directly into traffic, resulting in a turnover or a free. Now having said that, he got a crucial score at a crucial moment yesterday, but I'd be concerned about his general play in possession come summer tbh.

I thought Conroy looked quick and sharp enough for a player who has had a long lay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Yesterday's game settles the hennelly Byrne debate for me. For both goals, iv never seen a goalie make himself so small. He's the same age as hennelly so, imo no point in leading him down the garden path any further.

Disappointed ins Aos contribution when he came on. Didn't really play the role of a forward. That being said he was nailed on for a point and the ref gave a free out for double hop. A bizarre call from what I could see.

I can see why folk might be annoyed with how we coughed up a lead again and nearly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. It's something that we have to improve on with closing games out. Better to find out that we still have that issue now than later in the year.

We made a number of unforced errors yesterday which was a worry, but in the same vein that gives us something to work on.

I personally thought Ruane had his best game so far this year yesterday but I was reliant on the telly as I couldn't make the game yesterday so it may have looked different live.

I think that in Division 1 there have only been 3 away wins so far this year from the 20 games played - ourselves vs Roscommon, Roscommon vs Galway, Armagh vs Monaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's an interesting take.

I'd tend to agree to a certain extent but on the other hand winning something like a Connacht championship would be good for the young players.

On the worse seeding thing, three of the second seeds are going to be a Leinster team unlikely to be called Dublin, a Munster team not called Kerry and Sligo\Leitrim or London.

Can't see why Mayo would not finish 2nd with the likes of them in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Finishing 2nd or 3rd in the group doesn't really matter as both go into the prelim quarter finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

AOS seemed to be deliberately kept away from the forward role he has been playing up to now...a bit of shadowboxing there, I thought.

We've had enough goalkeeper debates on here to do us a lifetime, we don't need a new one. Was there ever really a Hennelly Byrne debate?

• Advertisement

I actually thought the same about Byrne but didn't really want to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Seen the full incident on TV. Matthew Ruane reaction said it all. He jumped straight to his feet without any complaint. A stamp on his leg would be totally different story.

Looked bad from that angle but I'd say he got more ball than leg... And Matty was nothing if not looking for it tbh.

ah there's no doubt Matty was acting the maggot. That said some players react differently. I mean look at how Sean Kelly reacts to what can only be described as the most painful Purple Nurple ever applied to a grown man in the history of Purple Nurples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Sean let himself down there for sure. Similar to when Aidan O'Shea had to cheat to beat Fermanagh a few years back. Zero excuses and a bad look for the sport.

There is a pretty clear picture from the stand side showing O'Shea got tripped for that penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Disgraceful carry on from Galway.. Keep at that and they won't win Sam for 75 yrs.. Or more...

Seeing that, we should really try Aido at FF more often.

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness he made bits of us any time he was in full forward. He was unstoppable there in 2015 too. A lad that can field high balls is still a valuable commodity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Winning is a habit. We are unbeaten so far this year. Got to keep the momentum going Playing Galway in Connacht is one of the highlights of the year. And that game be better experience for mcbrein , coyne carr Conroy than a years worth of training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Playing them in a league final wouldn't be bad experience either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Probably the same kind of trip that O'Laoi got black carded for last year when Cillian decided to fall into him...........

If I'm a troll because Aido deliberately threw himself to the floor under minimal contact, like Sean Kelly, then I'm as much a troll as yourself.

• Advertisement

That prompted me to check the odds for the league. My flutter is mainly confined to the grand national these days so I might be missing a trick but I was surprised that it took so long to find odds for the league.

None of the Irish ones seem to have odds. William Hill have us 4/5 on followed by Rossies and Galway. But Kerry 10/1 and Tyrone 50/1 are huge odds for outright winners.

Kerry especially imo, Galway and Roscommon up next for them, if they start to find some form, they could easily find themselves in the final by accident. Yera.

Those final spot(s) is fairly wide open I would have thought.

*Threw himself to the floor because he was tripped, not because someone tickled his tummy.

Wasn’t referring to you as a troll but if you look at the photos you can see it was a trip. Again those photos didn’t make it to the Sunday game commentary at the time and they were ignored, even though they show the trip clearly. That was the point I was making. It was a different angle which Marty Morrissey didn’t have on his iPad to show the Fermanagh manager after the game, and that particular incident has been bandied about as a dive when it clearly wasn’t.

I’ll admit my purple nurple reference was perhaps a little inflammatory. And for what it’s worth I don’t care for the feigning of injury to get players sent off from any players, and that includes mayo players.

its something that’s rarely punished - I’ve only seen someone getting penalised for it once, a Kildare player in the league game last year in Pairc Seán getting a yellow for acting injured. The ref even dismissed the medical team running onto the pitch and gave the lad a yellow card, can’t recall which Kildare player it was.

Refs do certainly need more assistance when it comes to the appropriate decisions but by the same token need to start penalising players that are acting the maggot. That includes lying on the ball to slow down play as well.

Post edited by Blackjack on

He threw himself, the arms were up, but it was fairly clear the was minimal contact. And it doesn't take much to put someone of balance when running. Plenty an ankle tap has taken down a big man.

But whether people want to think he dived, went down easy, was tripped etc... it really isn't the same as Kelly dropping and faking an injury in my book.

It's something that is a problem in the game now. I wouldn't be getting too righteous about it myself, as it could be one of ours acting the maggot next week.

The GAA really need to get some video evidence and start handing out bans.

Another thing they really need to address is lads falling into "high tackles". Lads seeing a raised arm and pretty much initiating the contact. Very hard for a ref to spot it though and video evidence mightn't be conclusive either.

To be fair to AOS, that is not part of his game. The Fermanagh incident got plenty debate before, but there is pictures out there that show contact! I don't think anyone in their right mind could argue against Cillian acting the maggot in that clip, he did the same thing to Tom Flynn in Pearse stadium a few years back if i remember correctly. Darran O'Sullivan in the replay in 2017 if i remember correctly too??The list goes on! Definitely in the same bucket as Sean Kelly's effort at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I disagree on the clip with Cillian in it - as a forward, it's common practice to run across the path of a chasing back; literally every single forward in the history of the game has done it at some point

The loser of the Mayo v Roscommon Quarter final will be 3rd seed in the group and in a group with a provincial winner Dublin, Kerry, Ulster champions and will play them away in round 1.

If you don't win the group its prem round played a week before the All-Ireland Quarter and the opposition will be rested.

Long story short this new format is set up best for the provincial winner to win their group and All-Ireland quarter final match.

I won't drag this out any further but I'd argue O'Shea's is actually worse because he benefited unfairly from the dive. It essentially knocked Fermanagh out too so there was more consequence to it. Bringing a still in to defend diving is absolute waffle imo and only excusing the theatrics. Kelly's is still shambolic playacting but he was rightly told to cop-on on Sunday, which unfortunately is about the extent of power the referee has in that situation. It deserves a black card for simulation and then further investigation to upgrade it to a match ban imo.

I'd definitely agree with you on the punishment! They have to start clamping down more on that type of behaviour!

Fermanagh lost by 5 points in case anyone has forgotten. The still shot shows the trip which cannot be seen in the clip you shared.

That penalty against Fermanagh was blown way out of proportion. Their keeper came out afterwards and said he considered retiring over it! Not to mention Marty M bringing an iPad into his interview with the Fermanagh manager just so he'd call Aido out for diving. Nobody did that last weekend for the Cox and Kelly dives though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Genuinely surprised you don't have more acknowledgement for this post. Very funny. Kudos

Yeah, showing pictures that proves he was tripped is waffle alright. I’m sorry you got all sore about the purple nurple comment re Kelly but dragging up an incident from 7 years ago to make your case and then dismissing the clear evidence presented to you that the penalty was warranted as “waffle” won’t win you many debating competitions.

Everyone wants the play acting gone and would like to see it punished but the whataboutery won’t progress anything.

There's nothing more whataboutery than lads defending O'Shea throwing himself to the ground like a lad that was turfed outta the Castlecourt Hotel. I'm sure there's probably even a JPeg out there that doesn't make Sean Kelly look like a diver from Sunday but it'd still be waffle. Doesn't mean he didn't completely exaggerate things in a unsportsmanlike manner. Lads might want playacting gone but seemingly not in the last 10 minutes of a championship match.

But the proof is there - he was tripped and the penalty was warranted, whether the trip was accidental or not (I believe it to have been accidental). Also It was 7 years ago, yet you’re still sore about it. Kelly going down like he’d been shot and then writhing on the ground for a few minutes trying to get a lad sent off after only the slightest of contact is quite different, and it was last Sunday, and much more current no matter what spin you want to place on it.

Anyway I do hope Kelly makes a full and speedy recovery from the awful Purple Nurple. He certainly seemed to be in great pain and suffered great injury, despite barely having been touched at all.

I might've been sore over the world's softest trip if ye didn't score two own-goals later that year. These things even out and I've no doubt there'll probably be a soft red card in Sean Kelly's future.

Best of luck for the year ahead and hopefully we might get ye in the Connacht semis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement