Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

None of which are more than 2 storeys! Come on, stop being so disingenuous. None of us arguing against this particular design are against a medium density development on the site. But there are ways of doing it so it doesn't overshadow the entire area.

If everything had to be the same height as the buildings around it, all of our houses would be underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

Again a disingenuous comment which doesn't take into account my actual comments. I'm not asking for it to be 2 storeys. I'm saying that 7 is probably too high in an area where the next biggest building is 2 storeys.

Again, if they put the 7 storey section to the rear of the site where it is considerably lower, they could still have the same, or similar occupancy, and keep the roofline at about 5 storeys.

Once again I'll say it, I'm not asking for no development, I'm not asking for low density. I'm simply asking for some thought to be put into the design so it doesn't have as big an impact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well the council, ABP and the High Court disagree that it's too high for the area.

The 7 storey bit is at the rear of the site. The section at the Cross is 6 storeys.

7 stories too high, 5 stories ok? What happens in a few years when everything is 5 stories? Would 7 stories be ok then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The old racecourse and Alandale are complete non runners for large scale residential development unfortunately. The latest Limerick Development Plan has rezoned those areas from residential to enterprise and employment. A flood risk assessment was completed on those lands in advance of the new Development Plan and it concluded that the lands fell within the high risk area known as Flood Zone A. Amendments were adopted to have the zoning of these areas retained as residential but this was shot down by the Office of the Planning Regulator.

Personally I think this is too much of a blunt instrument as it essentially sterilises a large landbank in relative close proximity to the city centre and prevents the sort of compact and sustainable development being promoted by the National Planning Framework.

A student accommodation scheme beside the existing Alandale development was shot down by the Council last year and that will in all probability be uphelp by An Bord Pleanala also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don't worry there will be many more high rise going up around it to help it fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I noticed the new bollards in O'Connell St. are starting to suffer already.

I counted four of them damaged this morning. Their long-term durability and aesthetics are questionable at this stage.

I wish they had picked nicer looking ones too. Also stronger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's a good chance they were damaged by the contractor while still working in the area.

I don't know why they didn't go with a narrow planter like they used between the pencils outside the school on Shelbourne Rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

Stopped at the traffic lights outside Chicken Hut and I’m wondering who thought that it was a good idea to face the benches looking in the windows of the chicken hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Not that we should be surprised but it is one botch after another. Pedestrians now required to walk single file along O'Connell St thanks to businesses taking over the footpath - a practise fully endorsed and encouraged by the council it seems. As for white cane users, you'd be well advised to steer clear of this obstacle course. No wonder Nuala Gallagher said bye bye to this lot.

That really defeats one of the big plus points of this whole project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Two lads on the right are in the bike lane too. 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mart 23

The problem if there is a problem are the tree and the bench. Remove them elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I read in today's Limerick leader that Kirkland Investments are speaking about an 600 million euro development in Ballysimon. I am uncertain whether that figure includes the construction of the Bons Secour Hospital, Educate Together School, Lidl etc or is for other residential and commercial developments. It appears very impressive. For a relatively new 'player' on the investing ladder, with a young ceo, Kirkland are involved in an amazing and welcome number of projects in the city and its environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'd be pretty confident the tree will be removed in the not too distant future. The bench will be harder to break.

The Leader at it again. Kirklands Towlerton Masterplan has been known about for a few years and was discussed on this thread as recently as January. The school, Bon Secours and the Lidl development are all in the original masterplan area with the lands opened up for development by the road that was recently completed.

It's not in any way the news they're making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Any idea when that road is opening? Seems to be finished a while now

• Advertisement

The end of the road built by Kirkland is around 70-80m short of the Bloodmill Road and this bit has to be done by the council. As they have to cross a stream they've asked ABP whether or not they need to do an NIS. If they don't I believe they'll do a part 8 and proceed this year, but if they need to do an NIS then they'll need to send an application to ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The new road must be complete nearly 2 years. Why was it not dealt with under the original planning and copleted instead of leaving a very poor piece of infrastructure( bloodmill rd bridge) on a heavily trafficked road. Was there an issue with landowner? could it have been CPO'd?

Wouldn't the planning only cover the Kirkland bit and not the council bit ?

As breezy suggested, Kirklands land ends at the stream. They built the road to open up their land for development, which it does from the Groody Road. It's up to the council to connect the other end to the Bloodmill Road as it's public land.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There needs to be a bridge built across that stream in order for the new stretch of road to join with the old Bloodmill Road. It's been sitting there unfinished for at least a year. The plan is or at least was to remove the existing Bloodmill Road road from the sandy stream to the roundabout at Conlan's and instead direct Bloodmill Road traffic straight by the new hospital/school and join the smaller roundabout on the Groody road where the entrance to the Northern Trust campus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

According to Councillor Joe Leddins facebook page 17 council homes built on council lands were handed over to their tennants today at Gough Place, Rosbrien Road, opposite Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭adaminho

Would you rather they looked out onto the gridlock on O'Connell Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

Half the width and have them back to back looking up and down the street might make more sense?

I don't mind as long as we finally have somewhere to sit and eat Chicken Hut. Not a fan of this new take away only version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

Well they might as well put these white elephant lanes to some use

Advertisement