Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nobody is asking forcing you to bike to work. I don't think anyone at all has been asked to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Eamon himself if off to China for the St Patrick's day annual junket of the government in exile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

No I like a lot of other workers pay more than enough in taxes as it is and when you look at what you get in return a p1ss poor service in a lot of areas there should be no more money going into the government black hole which is the annual government spend, the government need to spend it more carefully (this have been an issue for the guts of the last 2 decades) and its getting to a point if you fart in this country you get taxed. We have had record levels of tax take in the country last year and they are blowing it on things like Junkets to Hong Kong for a Minister Ryan to do exactly what, prove that he is the exception to the carbon emission rule?? Sure they are fecking up the road network in a lot of areas for the cycle lanes so what is the difference. If anything the disruption may force people out of their cars as traffic will get worse (is that not the green agenda??) So your not giving a valid argument give people the Tube equivalent then work away with congestion charges.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How much would you estimate an equivalent to the Tube would cost? It would be hundreds of billions.

As for Ryan travelling, this is discussed in a different thread so let's not go off topic with it.

Then how else am I supposed to get to work in Dublin city center from Meath without being penalized over someone who can get in using other means than a car? The answer is I cant and if a charge comes in I will just have to pay it so it will change absolutely zero for me and zero for congestion. No public transport for me to get in there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

As a result of green party policies Limerick city center is now a dead zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I thought this was the Congestion charge/parking increase charge thread no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

but it isn't even about carbon emissions, it's "a new strategy that sets out how to change the way we use our road space and prioritise public transport". We've pandered to private cars for way too long and congestion is getting worse and worse. We simply can't keep cramming cars into city centres and need to encourage every other option.

why did you choose to live in meath if it meant you had to drive all that way to work every day? surely you're saving a fortune not paying dublin prices anyway?

How much have we borrowed over the last 2 decades what is the national debt at currently and how much did we take in tax last year? Ans = hundreds of billions and how much has bee p1ssed away on things like Anglo, pay rises for the public sector no matter how good bad or ugly and on people on welfare who even do they are able bodied refuse to work, We spend over 20 billion welfare in this country annually yet we cannot afford proper social housing, we cant afford a first world health care. Where the hell is the money going? With what we have paid in taxes and borrowed over the last 2 decades we could have easily afforded something simular to the Tube.

• Advertisement

Great then give us the alternative, its not rocket science.

I cant afford house prices in Dublin either when I bought or now- yet another brilliant piece of financial handling form the government over the last decade give lots of incentive for pushing proprety prices up..Sure what can go wrong.

Bollocks. I'm sure you could have afforded somewhere in Coolock or Finglas or another cheap area if you wanted, many of us moved to these areas and didn't get to buy in the parts of Dublin we grew up in. Instead you lot decide to live in the middle of nowhere and then moan when Dubliners don't want their city choked with people driving in and parking from all over because they wanted a big one off house away from the affordable areas of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Old people and now nurses.

Anyway going back to the original point, what percentage of the workforce would be nurses? what percetnage would require cars?

Nurses are not moving to Dubai or anywhere because the petrol is cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I will ask, but what price range did you buy outside of Dublin? I bet I can find a house in Dublin in the price range.

Im sure you wont answer correctly by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Bsharp

As a nation we got away with poor public transport because of low population growth/density and a **** economy for decades, off the back of a decent starting point. Cities were small enough that the car trip was always manageable when disruption and a fiver less in the pocket was part of the political calculation. There have never been decent votes for public infrastructure investment in Ireland.

People need to drive because the public transport isn't good enough, but disrupting commuters to deliver public transport isn't acceptable. Rinse and repeat. Climate action plan has thrown a spanner in the works, we might actually have to make some harder decisions as a society; paralysis seems the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Funny isn't it, almost like we're having a debate here on people who are affected by additional taxes, wow!

12% and 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Are you not in London? Why are you getting annoyed that he moved to Meath? Very weird

Back in Dubbers next month you'll be delighted to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

We are blessed to have you back among us paupers 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ok, for regular commuters, inter town/city travel ...

Lots of low fare, regular buses.

Zero tolerance of anti social behaviour.

Willingness for people to put away their snobbery and use public transport.

Park and ride for people in expensive to service areas to get to bus routes.

Also, this thing where every kid gets driven to school in a separate vehicle needs to stop. It's embarrassing. Safe local cycle routes.

People still need cars to shop and fill up their boots with loot. So dispensation for these essentials to the economy.

That's most of the local trips.

Incentives / disincentives ..

And no Christmas for those who don't share because Jesus would take the bus.

Also, free beer on the bus + toilets for those who like to drink and drive.

Live OnlyFans recordings for those who think it's ok to give smartphones to kids.

Joe Duffy terminal to enter complaints.

Free professional training courses in psychotherapy, mica house building, property price pumping, getting the most out of Ireland for free, debt write offs, ...

Late late show run regular from buses with free bus tickets for everyone on the bus.

Button to press that plays Ireland's call. Our favourite national anthem..Really.

Covid 19 mask despenser.

USB C chargers !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I can see the benefit of reducing the number of cars commuting into Dublin but I'm not sure that a congestion charge is the answer due to the lack of suitable alternative public transport..

Some of the arguments in favour of such a charge cite the examples of London and Paris.

The London Underground opened in 1863 and has 272 stations.

The Paris Metro opened in 1900 and has 308 stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭reclose

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭reclose

How is that any of your business? Even if you do find a house within the range, is he/she not entitled to their own opinion on where they want to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it only the nurses with cars who’s transport you want to subsidise with free storage space? What about the nurses colleagues who travel by bus or train or bike or on foot? Can they avail of a handy subsidy too? What about the healthcare assistants who probably can’t afford to run a car- any subsidies for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

A lot of people don’t have a choice but to drive into city particularly when under time pressure. Trying to get into city on time from some towns even relatively near is very frustrating and at times not even possible as delays with bus or them not showing up.

That isn’t even the hard part - trying to get home on time during rush hour at times is difficult as some routes don’t have capacity and buses pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Dare I mention work from home?

Wasn't it supposed to be part of the programme of government that we'd shift to this model?

It cut emissions significantly during Covid.

But I guess it's easier just to add more punitive taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Can we not just send Eamon Ryan to Australia as the Irish representative for Saint Patrick’s day and tell him that he can lead by example and needs to take the a slow boat there and back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 HoddleGod

do you expect China to produce less greenhouse gases than Ireland?

Advertisement