Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I remember the last time we played Utd and Real Madrid in a week.

Both very unexpected results :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Weghorst even touching 'This is Anfield' on the way out at kickoff

That's him on the ManU fan shitlist. Well, on the ones he wasn't already on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had to look up Weghors Id never heard of him and now probably never will 😷

What a captain. Jeez.

I'd say ven tag ripped him a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Finally just got round to watching MOTD 2 from yesterday and noticed they had a goal of the moth comp directly after Liverpool Utd. Anyone notice how many goals there were to choose from? They could have chosen any amount, 2 or 3 of them weren't even that great, just your run of the mill shots from outside the box but they chose 7. Bit insensitive no? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

The same Ten Hag who made Ronaldo captain a week after he refused to come on? Haha hardly. Making weak characters like Bruno captain should be ringing alarm bells for any United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

"Freak result". Didn't we put 9 past them last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

2 years into his reign I was on here asking for Conte to replace him.

It happens, everyone has different views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fans are spoilt especially new ones, they want success now, no patience. I've waited since I was 7 (1994) for the club to be the powerhouse it once was with a man like klopp at the helm. This season is a transition and it was always coming, we don't have the money to constantly refresh we have to move on the old first. The squad is been rebuilt. Add a defender and a couple of midfielders and we are ready to go again. Klopp is 100% the only one I want in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Salvadoor

I'm heading to the Forest game next month with my 10 year-old, first time for both of us.

Any "Must-Do's"? We'll do the museum and stadium tour on the Sunday before flying back, but what would you recommend on match day? Do they allow kids into the pubs around Anfield?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

nunez looked to me really nervous and heavy legged. Couldn’t get legs going. I reckon it might have been nerves/pressure

you know that feeling before a massive game and the nerves just get the better of you and you are overthinking it

the first goal was ideal for him.

nice handy Header

loving Nunez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why?

We'd just been to a European final his first season and got top four in his next (first full) season.

Progress was clear even before CL final in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Pretty sure kids are fine in nearly all the pubs, but they'll be heaving

I'd get up there nice and early (taxis really aren't that expensive in Liverpool) and maybe go to the cafe under the Isla Gladstone Conservatory in Stanley Park for some brunch, nice spot and a little hidden away so that's usually room. From there it's a nice walk along Anfield Road past all the murals to the ground

If you want a pre-match drink I'd try the Kop Bar (where the old shop used to be, if you know that, under the Kop) as it's ticket holders only and they control numbers well so it's not so crazy inside. They also have live music, all Liverpool songs, so I'd say it would be good craic for your kid. It does get full though, so no guarantee you'll get in nearer kick-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You know what impresses me with Nunez is seems to not let things faze him. Maybe that red card against Palace helped sort his head out. He had a goal VAR'd out on against Wolves, but he still just continued playing his game and helping the team. He didn't go complaining about it loads and get bogged down by it, as the game stayed at 0-0. Very involved in the celebrations for the goals after. He improved at HT on Sunday. Put the bad half behind him and kicked on. Got into better positions and scored 2 goals. He didn't spiral downwards and start fouling or stropping etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It was slightly surreal this morning to open the Football365 mailbox and see the top letter verbalise exactly what I had been thinking in the wake of Sunday's result. - https://www.football365.com/news/mailbox-liverpool-7-0-man-utd-better-than-carabao-cup-bruno-fernandes-arsenal-refs-spurs-conte

Now if you gave me the choice next year to beat Crystal Palace 2-0 say and win the Carabau Cup or to hammer 7 past Man Utd in Anfield, I wouldn’t even have to think about it for long.

I got way more enjoyment out of Sunday than the League Cup victory last season.

100%

Think we all agree on Nunez, his attitude and workrate are exemplary and he is always, always involved. Everyone else has the odd quiet day, not him

Sometimes he's rash, sometimes his touch is poor, but he makes stuff happen in a way we maybe haven't seen since a certain other Uruguayan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Diaz coming back will help Nunez massively I think, more options at LW will always take pressure off.

• Advertisement

Jurgen taking his hat off to Mo

I'm still finding little details to make me enjoy it even more 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The biggest moment was Salah stopping Nunez from reacting to a shove on the back when he was on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

Pep Ljinders loves him. He was raving about his qualities and potential in the interview with Michael Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

PL website lists these numbers but weirdly Transfermarkt has Andy on 55 but Hazard on 61 and Ozil on 59. Only a matter of time anyway.

They go off Opta stats but they only started in the early 2000s, so the PL website is often wrong with stats beyond goals. Stupid really. Still, great numbers for Robbo

Transfermarkt may include penalties won as an assist maybe?

Or the definition even such as a goal scored from a rebound versus a goal scored from a pass that is deflected vs a goal scored from a direct pass only etc.

Yeah and sometimes those views/opinions are simply wrong. Brave of you to admit it. 😉 Just out of curiosity were you wanting him gone again in 2021 and again this season?

• Advertisement

Exactly, me too. I hope he stays as long as possible tbh as we may never get to experience having a manager like him again in our life times so it's extra frustrating to see people call for his head. It's like they don't remember what supporting Liverpool was like pre Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Bellingham is nowhere near worth €120 million. It's all hype. I genuinely hope we're not in for him in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

The linesman was trying to stop him going at Trent, probably protected him from a red, from the way it was reported you would think the linesman had pushed him.

Luke Shaw kneeing one of our players in the back while they were on the ground overlooked too, it felt like the ref didn't want to make the result worse at that stage but he shouldn't get away with that behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The maddest stat from the game was Fernandez or Shaw didn't even receive as much as a yellow between them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Nope, but I was surprised he signed a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

3 mins extra time in a half with 6 goals and 4 subs....Hard to understand that. Would could have had 8 or 9 goals. Gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

100% agree - the ref went beyond his remit in protecting Man Utd from an even worse hammering.

Like the 3 minutes injury time - what a joke! Six goals and a host of substitutions along with the normal loss of time -there should have been a minimum of 8 minutes.

Why does the ref think it's his job to protect Man Utd from conceding 8 or 9 goals? - Liverpool earned to right to get the all time record defeat over them.

A couple of videos to enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Real won't down tools like United, but if we can score first we can plant a seed, so important to score first when the odds are so stacked against us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

honestly, it's best to approach the Madrid game as if the Utd game didn't happen. that's what I'll be doing.

we weren't scoring freely before Sunday, and even if we get the first like we did on Sunday, Madrid won't capitulate.

i can easily see us winning 2-1 or 3-2 and them comfortably seeing it out. Madrid are beatable on the night. I've been telling anyone who'll listen that the 2-5 loss was far more about us than them. and I maintain that despite last season's heroics from Madrid in the CL, and despite them being 14 time champions, and despite people believing they're a different animal in the CL, I think a good team would beat them over 2 legs this season. if last year's City went against them this season, Madrid would be on the end of a whooping.

the problem is, every European team is fallible this season bar Napoli. so Madrid could squeeze through to another title miraculously.

anyway, until we go 2-0 up with a whole host of time left, I'm not going to get hyped at all about the game next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

What sets Real apart is their mental toughness. 2 nil down early doors at a noisy Anfield, and what do they do? Score 5 against us. Nearly knocked out by a very strong city team last year, kept their heads and got through.

They won’t blink if we get a goal or two next week, they really don’t rattle easy.

However, both the United game and the real games are anomalies because in both cases nearly every chance went in. We had 8 shots on target and 7 goals off an xg of 2.8, and real scored 5 off an xg of 1.7.

I’m far more confident about it than I was before Sunday, I get the sense they will give it a real rattle. I don’t think anyone really expected us to turn Barca over back in the day (though that was at Anfield).

Hope Salah kept that ‘Never give up’ T-shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've seen some rumours this evening that Kelleher will leave in the summer, but not seen it from a reliable source. He's too good (and too young) to be sitting on the bench, but will be sad to see him go if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,045 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He really should alright. I'd hope he goes for the common sense approach and goes out on a one year loan first though, to show what he's capable of week in week out. Would likely earn him a better permanent move after, and earn us more money too.

I doubt we'll be replacing him with a new buy anyway, we've a rake of highly rated young goalkeepers coming through the ranks, so I'd say one of those will take the bench spot. Most likely Pitaluga.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea, it's probably time to move on for Kelleher, but more than anything he needs to go somewhere that plays football. His skillset is heavily weighted toward ball at feet and distribution. If he goes to a club that are under the cosh for 90 minutes I think it would be a disaster for his career and Bazunu will be completely unchallenged for the Ireland spot.

Burnley would be a good fit for him when they get promoted, given their style of play under Kompany.

Leicester will probably be looking for a new keeper in the summer too, if he wants to move to a more established club. Aston Villa too, but the style of play there wouldn't really suit him.

Even more ambitious would be Spurs under a new manager or even Man Utd but I doubt they would take the chance on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Hopefully Spurs will keep hold of Conte until the end of the season. If they pulled the trigger now and brought back Pochettino, it could inspire them where as at present, they seem to be surrendering to the end of the season.

Hope we keep a buy back option with any sale for Kelleher in case he does well. Not sure how long a buy back option is valid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Talisman

For his own sake he needs to move on, he is only 6 years younger than Alisson but has only 20 first team appearances. Alisson could be our first choice keeper for another 6 or more years. Kelleher really should have been allowed to go on loan for the season, Burnley were interested in taking him on loan but the move was turned down and instead they got a young keeper from Man City. A few years ago he missed out on going on loan to the Dutch league because Alisson had suffered an injury. He really needs to be playing regular games at this stage of his career, to his credit he hasn't looked phased when called upon to replace Alisson in the first team, but those opportunities are few and far between.

The club is well stacked with young goalkeeping talent. Jaros is 3 years younger than Kelleher and has nearly 70 first team appearances from loan spells. Pitaluga is 20 and Alisson has spoken of him as potentially being Brazil's #1 in the future, he has been sent on loan to non-league Macclesfield. Presumably one of those two will be seen as Kelleher's successor in the young keeper with potential role.

Kelleher and Nat Phillips have been victims of being nice guys, they don't rock the boat looking for first team football and their careers at Liverpool have been limited to cameo roles. If they were assholes about their situation then Klopp would have shipped them out at the first opportunity but instead they have been kept back because they might be needed.

Advertisement