Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Road Racing 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭wav1

Just my tuppence worth.

I think we are getting close to the time when 3 x senior categories will suffice.A4 field sizes way down on pre covid and that's early season fields. Will probably get a whole lot smaller as the season evolves.

If quite a few A2s get upgraded to A1 with the A2 races and the same happens from A3 to A2 well then you have a cohort of A3s remaining

The relatively small number of A4s could all be then upgraded to A3 to make a good size field. This would mean promoters only having to run 3 x mens races and would keep a lot of the riders happy I'd say especially A2s. Probably for down the road but I'd say the A4 category will become unsustainable. The juniors will continue to dominate the early season A3 races but will be gone out of it sooner with the new grading system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Does anyone have a link to photos from the A3 race in navan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

You're forgetting older riders being regraded and new riders wanting to start out

Anyway, over 40 in each men's category yesterday in Navan which was a healthy entry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone find it wrong that in order to race the National series first years juniors will be facing 144km at the Des?

Re Newbridge GP next weekend - any potential fun to be had with west winds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Raymzor

@joey100 ,I was driving the tail car in A2 race yesterday. I thought you 2 lads had stolen the show. Fair play for giving it a rattle.

@levitronix Sportsphoto Ireland (Sean Rowe) will have A3 photos posted shortly!

Interesting comment. First 10km had average speed of 42kph!

if your comment is true you should have had no problem clipping off the front solo!!

40 in an A4 race on the first weekend of the season is not a good entry

I know where you're coming from re new lads starting out but if A3 becomes the new lowest category its the same thing as the strong juniors will.have been all upgraded

• Advertisement

I wonder how many (or percentage) of last years A4s took the option to upgrade to A3 when they renewed their licence for this year. I know of a few who took the option. This may impact the A4 numbers racing this year.

is it possible that some race promoters will run a combined A3/A4 races later in the season?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It won't be a strong wind, might make the last climb a tad faster and pick up a bit more speed coming into the finish line. Might also make the descent after Boston Hill a bit slower but it won't really make a difference. That circuit rarely gets strong winds in my memory

This would probably make sense, give them a handicap so it is what we do in club league races. Teach the A4s the benefits of working together.

Also needs to be a decent handicap, my only complaints on handicap races in recent years, even in the chasing group was the handicap was to small so they never really had a chance eg the Lucan GP combined race, one or two of the Mondello races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers, so did I for a few seconds! To be fair the other lad was out longer than me, if we had of managed another turn or two together it might have been a different story but wasn't to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just a quick observation from A4. At a rough count I would have said about a quarter of the bunch in A4 last Sunday also race in the Vets (including me). A lot of us might only do few A4 races at the beginning of the season and then focus on the various IVCA League Races. So that's a good chunk of your potential A4 race participants gone after April. I think combining A4 into A3 (handicaps or whatever) at some point is inevitable but I would probably wouldn't take out an Open Racing Licence in that case.

If you only combine them later in the year then that shouldn't be an issue

A4//M50/M60 might swell numbers a little later in the year.

As Wav1 posted earlier I can see promoters not running A4 races from mid season if they are only getting 40 riders at this stage.

Is the new route for Ras Naomh Finnan another fast route?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Thank you to those who turned up the Seamus Kennedy race last Sunday, weather gods played their role, which helped. As a first race of the year, the A1 race which was doing car for was great to watch up front and personal. A special mention to one rider, who at sign on presented the registration crew with some chocolates..............this went down a treat with us and the coffees.................unfortunately I cant give you points for a race win/place, but maybe something else during the year. (other riders take note....😉😉🤣)

IF anyone has any comments about the running of the race, route, information pack etc, please DM me. Hope to see some of you at some of the other races Navan run throughout the year. Thanks.

• Advertisement

must up my game, any one got insider knowledge on what the newbridge GP crowd like?

Riders really not entering till last minute this year which is a pain for everyone

No realistic overview until Friday evenings now

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

yep, very flat. lap is approx 25km with 80m of elevation gain.

lap from their website https://www.maps.ie/map-my-route/viewMap.php?route=248414

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Just an observation here lads but looking at CI calender then link to eventmaster to book some races is terrible.

Some of the organisers needs to add more info to their race summary.

If a lad new to racing or someone that's not done a particular race decides to go and do one he's not done before and looking for info it can be a bit confusing with the lack of basic info, route, distance, elevation, eircode, contact details, fb and insta pages etc.

We all complain about small numbers at our races but we need to be selling it with advertising, the race just being on the CI calender with basic info is just not enough.

Don't most people look for route map to see if it's gonna suit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

My information may be wrong, but I think only 123 A1/A2 riders raced on our island on Sunday - the first Sunday in March... Navan 50 + 54. Phoenix 7 + 12... Navan benefited from a late entry when the Lacey Cup was cancelled.

Normally the busiest day of the year. That's kinda scary...

That stat says it all really and that's without touching on A4 field sizes.

Was mentioned here earlier that 40 in A4 on Sunday last was a good field. Compared to pre covid it's terrible

I get annoyed sometimes when I see race cancellations but at the same time as a promoter I can fully understand. It's real tricky territory at the moment running these things. One example from recently a medical crew that cost e350 two years ago are now e800

Less riders competing.riders expecting somewhat more from promoters than they did a few years ago = less events.

I would estimate we are down 30% of the road calendar compared to about 2016.

In a strange turn of events my daughter has a badly sprained ankle so can’t attend a swim gala so I’ve managed to convince the Mrs to let me do a double race weekend 👌👌.

Must be some sort of weird omen in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

2 of our lads signed up for an 4 race last year and had to email organiser for route and eircode to race, they only got info 2 days before and only 19 riders at the start line, that's why lads not racing, sometimes I wonder 🤕

A weekend of hardy weather for cyclists ahead. It will be interesting to see how numbers are effect if at all by the weather.

Might race the winter bike!

• Advertisement

Sunday looks grand, I'll be in Newbridge anyway

Advertisement