Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

This sums Boards up in one post. A thread about congestion charges and a poster getting berated for a completely different reason.

Irish people are blinded by stupidity when they think they are on a moral conquest.

People work damn hard in this country. Why is it always the worker is penalised.

That OP lives in Meath by no choice but no affordable housing.

I am sure like many of us they would like a decent cost effective on time and frequent clean train, bus,tram anything.

I'm sorry but it doesnt exist outside Dublin.

Congestion tax is exactly that a tax. It will be pissed up against a wall by the government like all other tax is. I see no plans for a meaningful shift to public transport in the major towns to even begin with.

No, politicians are too busy stopping road construction *Galway ring* and building not for for purpose cycle lanes in a country which rains for 70% of the time and is Dark for the winter.

And we are told look at Holland etc!

I dont want to cycle to work in the dark and arrive soaking wet to a building with no shower and repeat on the way home.

I think if this comes in I will give up the job it's a nuisance anyway the 60 hours a week to include travel.

I wont have any car costs ,congestion charges, motor tax. Tax on fuel. Tax on insurance. Insurance premium,Tax on servicing. Tolls to pay. Or even registration tax.I will also avoid Usc. PRSI. PAYE health insurance and property tax.

The government will give me money to stay at home, congestion solved.

Oh by the way its constitutionally and morally correct to choose when you live. you shouldn't be punished for it.

Let's get real here the Government need to sort out the public transport to the country we live in now one off housing, small villages or otherwise and stop with the excuses.

Taxing the already stretched will cause nothing but more issues.

Again like many I'd imagine I'd part with my car if I could use ANY decent public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I am sure like many of us they would like a decent cost effective on time and frequent clean train, bus,tram anything.

I'm sorry but it doesnt exist outside Dublin.

Don't live anywhere near Dublin and have a reliable, frequent and cost effective train service so it does exist outside Dublin.

in a country which rains for 70% of the time

Just lol. Imagine thinking it rains 70% of the time in Ireland 😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

no need for faux outrage

it was a question they can choose to answer or not. Hence why it’s called a “discussion forum”

Which they implemented new regulation about it and I know my company now has moved to a max of 2 days a week in the office. They have actually closed one office because it’s no longer required because of WFH.

it would be interesting to see the reduction in traffic compared to before covid because of WFH

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did we really cut emissions by WFH? Did you include the increased emissions from running inefficient home heating systems all day long? Many people don’t have any zoning at home, so people are often heating the whole bloody house all day for one or two people working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I must have commuted 20k or so by bike in Dublin over the years and you very rarely get wet. A few times a year.

Great for you I live close to a city and there are 4 buses a day. 4.

The comment on the weather is valid.

Here's a thought why dont the government commission a study on commuters on the modes of transport in use and desired.

Might be a change from their usual Tax out way to a perceived solution, that will show em policy which is nearly worn out.

Ignorant prejudice because you're banging on about people in lycra on Sundays which has nothing to do with reducing motor traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

If there were large, reasonably priced car parks on the outskirts of cities, people might be encouraged to leave their cars there and cycle (or scoot) into the city. Buses might suit some journeys, but bikes are much more flexible.

This could significantly reduce congestion in the city.

Introducing a congestion charge without giving people alternatives is unreasonable.

The core of the measures is to reduce congestion and move people aroind more efficiently. You're just a broken record in every thread with this cult nonsense.

• Advertisement

No it isn't valid. It does not in any way rain 70% of the time in Ireland. That's lies, plain and simple. And the fact that you have to resort to such nonsense says a lot.

We've just come through the driest January and February in decades where the number of days with "any" rain were only a handful. You're clearly not a serious poster and just looking to get a rise out of people.

Also dublin is where most of these measures would hypothetically be introduced and its the driest place in the country.

I think this more a money generating idea rather than trying to get cars off the road.

Public transport has improved but only slightly, I'm fortunate that I live in a city center and can walk to work in 35 minutes.

Last winter during the really cold spell the footpaths were not gritted and were lethal to walk on I decided to get the bus to work but none of the busses stopped at the bus stop as they were full. A number of people at the stop tried to get taxis which never came. If I didn't have a car I wasn't getting to work that week. On very wet days you face the same issue. We also have a shortage of bus drivers so you cant rely on the bus that will get you to work just on time as it may never turn up, you have to leave early. We have a mediocre public transport system that is already at capacity and they want to push more onto it with only token improvements made to the existing system.

As somebody who would love to get rid of the car and use public transport I find you cannot rely on it unfortunately. When the government haven't really committed to public transport the fear is that these proposed measures will only add more cost when there are not suitable alternatives for many commuters.

Why are some posters on here obsessed with what people wear cycling? Commuters on bikes don't generally wear full cycling gear. Some strange people here very obsessed with lycra. Bizarre.

Ok you clearly haven't read anything about it and you're just trolling. Have a nice day.

The country actually does revolve around Dublin

So less than half. Nice one. And you do know what a "day with precipitation" is defined as right? If not, I'll help you out. It's a day with a minimum of 1mm of rain. So that could be a day of full rain or it could be a heavy shower in the middle of the night of 1mm but the rest of the day was bone dry. Days with rain is a silly measure for commuters as it doesn't rain every day between 7-9am and again 5-7pm. Want to try that again for commuting times in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Let me see if I’ve got this right, successive governments create an American style car culture and dependency, scrapage deals to encourage more cars and therefore more revenue, more roads and even more roads, sweet fa invested in public transport as the funds just aren’t there but there’s always enough for more roads isn’t there? The farcical M50 .... etc etc

Yes definitely, those selfish motorists are definitely to blame for the climate ‘crisis’.

Anyone been to Copenhagen recently? You’ll cannot be anything but envious as it shows up just how dysfunctional this country is.

Sinn Fein manifesto 2020 pg 28:

Sinn Féin supports the recommendation of the Citizens’ Assembly to increase bus lanes, cycling lanes and park and ride facilities and that much greater priority should be given to these modes over private car use.

Sinn Fein manifesto 2020 pg 92:

Infrastructure for cycle lanes must be developed to ensure that cyclists can travel safely. Having sufficient cycle lanes will increase the number of cyclists, in particular those who cycle to work which will reduce car use, improving congestion in towns and cities.

You want more?

• Advertisement

A "minority in a Green cult", again I refer back to my previous point. This is a proposal, no proposal can be implemented without a majority. Posting the same comment to suggest the Green party are dictators and can implement whatever they want is ridiculous.

Plus as I said to you on other thread, all parties have a Green agenda, nicely displayed above by the other poster when the main opposition also proposed preference to public transport

Yes I'd blame FFFG for ignoring public transport for 100 years. The Greens are at least trying to get things moving forward with public transport and active travel.

I like how you're moving the goalposts there. You said "show me manifestos" and then when shown, "ah no not like that". Comical 🤣. Every single party voted in favour of the Climate Act 2021 from which these measures will come. Every one. It's probably the few areas that every political party agrees on.

I think everyone is assuming there'll be no more talk of reducing car dependency or lowering emissions when the next government is formed

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

This poxy country

They are in for a rude awakening. SF transport policy is similar to Green with much expanded cycling and public transport and a serious clamp down in private car use. Hilariously people think this is only a Green Party policy.

It will be hilarious when they can't go on greeny death cult eamon ryan lycra rants when greens are no longer in power

Who told you the fleet would be electric by 2030? Are you making things up again? I think so. The most optimistic forecast of 1m EVs would equate to only about 30% of vehicles.

Would you calm down moving the goalposts. We'll be on a different pitch shortly with your strawmen.

That's what this is to determine over the next year or so. Have you not read what this is actually about?? You should calm yourself down and read what's on the table. There's a series of high level proposals that now need to be investigated fully. Nobody is coming to take your car away tomorrow morning. Relax.

• Advertisement

It is deriving from the climate action act. I just said the details have to be investigated now based on the high level proposals being put forward. Are you having difficulty understanding what's actually going on here?

Advertisement