Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Jaysus that's a big spend. Can you name the top 10? I presume the vast majority have a domestic spend only?

19500! 😲

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Gamergurll

Someone posted a link a few pages back from the African woman asking if everyone in Ireland is an NGO, she had a point 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This includes about 4000 schools, a huge swathe of the disability services in Ireland, sporting organisations, arts groups, community centres, religious groups, trade unions, professional bodies etc

So yeah that 5.5 billion is mostly funding things like schools, sports halls, community centres, disability centres, arts centres, housing (through housing bodies)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah. Defund 4000 schools and all the Disability Services in the country 🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

So yeah that 5.5 billion is mostly funding things like schools, sports halls, community centres, disability centres, arts centres, housing (through housing bodies)

Show us your work. How is "most" of said funding going to the aforementioned? I'm genuinely curious how you've reached that conclusion. You must have some data that I'm unaware of that breaks said spending down. I actually can't see the article, so maybe it's in there already.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

funnily enough, you do actually need young people to maintain a healthy economy, so if you dont maintain a healthy level of young workers, you end up with an aging population, and your healthy economy will become fcuked very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’m actually sick to my stomach on reading here. Bout of nausea came over what a basketcase of an island; a mere island those are just such inordinate numbers it is extraordinary.

You’d expect a government to crack down but then they’re behind most of it…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Great, I was hoping someone would have a breakdown of figures.

Can you share please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People in this thread seem to be all over the place - describing most asylum seekers who come to Ireland as "economic migrants", when they are clearly fleeing bad or oppressive situations in their own country.

But any asylum seeker has the full potential to become a taxpayer and contributor to society. Germany literally took this approach in 2015 when it said that the 1m Syrian refugees were actually needed by the economy and their arrival was a good thing. People don't claim asylum in another country in order to live in a refugee centre for years - their prime motivation is to make a life for themselves and earn a living, not just 'exist'.

when they are clearly fleeing bad or oppressive situations in their own country

The problem is your end, making judgments like this with no proof. Where do you get the "clearly" from exactly? You're complaining about generalizing, while doing the exact same thing yourself. Many on these threads have argued that the not so clear cases are harming the clear cases, hence why the process should be speed up; with those who haven't proven the need to flee their own countries being sent back. If you cared about the genuine cases you'd agree with this, but you won't, because you don't. You're choosing to view them all as one, when we know for that fact that not all cases are equal.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've seen an estimate that around 70% of the Channel dinghy people heading to the UK are coming from countries with genuine proven refugee crises such as Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen etc.

All of this 'economic migrants' and 'chancers' stuff is disingenuous. The vast majority of people who claim asylum in Europe are actual refugees. It's a much smaller number of people who are not fleeing war or oppression or extreme poverty and trying to abuse the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭thegame983

They’re not getting a dinghy from Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

The 1.3 million Syrian and Middle East refugees that Germany took in 2015 was reflected in the surge of support for the far-right AFD that saw it gain representation in the Bundestag in 2017 elections.

Obviously not all Germans saw it as a good thing as you wildly claim.

The recent cost of living and Ukrainian refugee crisis has seen its support surge once again particularly in the former East Germany.

A rise in immigration usually means a rise in anti-immigrant sentiment reflected in the ballot box.

This has been replicated across mainland Europe.

It will be no different here. People will support an anti-immigration party as soon as a credible one is formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I doubt every school is counted as a separate ngo

Theres all this guff about 19500 NGOs. 4000 of this figure 19500 is schools.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I’m not doubting you but you mind sharing a link to where you are getting your information that 4000 of 19500 ngos are schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

What struck me in relation to the descendants of the Gastarbeiter who arrived in the 1950s and 60s, was that the Greeks, Italians and (former) Yugoslavians did well and assimilated, but the Turks fared much worse. Not all of course, but there were huge cultural and religious issues that made it difficult for them to integrate into German society. They tended to come from the poorest, most rural and religious parts of the country so even in their home country they would have been considered backward and conservative, they maintained very strong ties to their home country and encouraged chain migration, marrying their children off to people from home and bringing them over. This perpetuated the sense of isolation in a parallel society. It's a pattern that's repeated over and over again throughout Europe, where the cultures with the least in common with the host culture integrate the least. It's another reason the pro-bringing everyone to Ireland crowd are so naïve.

Here. It clearly says 3965 are schools.

https://benefactslegacy.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/benefacts-nonprofit-sector-analysis-2021.pdf

Terry Pratchet

It's a pattern that's repeated over and over again throughout Europe, where the cultures with the least in common with the host culture integrate the least

Yeah, it sounds quite similar to the problems that the Dutch have with the Moroccans that they took in years ago. Even if the 1st generation somehow works out, most of the progress seems to be lost on the 2nd generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

And the French and the North Africans, the British with the Pakistanis/Bangladeshis. I mean, Germany didn't even have the imperial baggage that's usually blamed for this incompatibility. Nor does Ireland or Sweden, but the same patterns emerge. It's just that some cultures don't live easily or happily together because they're too different. It's an unpalatable truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, not weighing in on either side of this debate, but that document doesn't say what you think it does. That is for Non Profit organisations, not Non Governmental Organisations. While there can be overlap, this is not always the case. You just need to look to the first page of the document, where its discussing 34,331 organisations, so unless 15,000 collapsed in a year you are actually looking at a mix of non profits and ngos. So drawing a direct relation from the 3965 schools in this document to the 19,500 NGOs others are talking about doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,662 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Odd that you talk about the number of schools when in reality it's a relatively small percentage of what makes up non profit organisations.

Here's a snippet from the pdf you kind of linked to...

Here's a breakdown of how these organisations line up in terms of organisation type.

Where this becomes of note in this type of discussion is "advocacy, law, politics"...

Where there's several hundred organisations (448) fitting into this bracket.

Viewed against the backdrop of the rest of the organisations in the graph it seem insignificant but having 448 advocacy/political NGO type organisations in a country the size of Ireland is a little odd to say the least.

On the whole it seems like there's a bit of a gold rush for government funding for all sorts of organisations.

Glazers Out!

Exactly so this nonsense about 19,500 NGOs lobbying the state is pure guff

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

It cannot be over-emphasised, they risk their lives crossing the channel from a place of safety. They are not fleeing from war or oppression in France.

Whether they should have safe and legal means to seek asylum in the UK is a matter for the Brits, but they are not being forced to leave France. They have already made it into the EU. Loitering around the French coast is a choice they have chosen of their own free will.

It is disingenious to equate these people with those trapped in a war zone, fleeing from real and present danger, desperate for refuge.

I know that sounds harsh, but we have to cop on to that reality.

FWIW, figures from 2023 so far have seen Indians shoot up to third place for channel crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,662 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

But the reality isn't really great either.

Several hundred organisations in the bracket of advocacy/political/legal, we can make the assumption that these organisations are on the left of the political spectrum as the far right in Ireland isn't claiming charity status mainly because they're such a tiny cohort.

Gino Kenny is a good representation of these organisations, and he's completely off his rocker and an elected member of Dail Eireann.

There's a lot of organisations out there in this sector, more than enough to leech public money and campaign for thoroughly ridiculous reasons.

It might not be the number mentioned previously but its not a small number either, certainly enough to be cause for concern.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

We're a fairly light shade of green ourselves! At least that explains everything you need to know about how we ended up as "modern Ireland".

The data from the 2017 and 2021 came from the same organisation.

You're absolutely correct. The point is theres all this guff about 5 billion going to 19500 NGOs. Its all drivel.

People talking about 19500 NGOs are talking nonsense.

The 19500 does include schools plus all the other things like disability centres, community centres, sports centres etc.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Jesus talk about misrepresenting what I said. I wasn't agreeing with your interpretation. Also if you had the correct, older, document, with the actual related figures, why would you use a more recent one where the figures have no comparative ability in the context? And that 2017 document there is no figure for schools, so you took two reports, with different figures, separated by 5 years. Same organisation or not, you cannot compare figures in the way you're doing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I've seen an estimate that around 70% of the Channel dinghy people heading to the UK are coming from countries with genuine proven refugee crises such as Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen etc.

You didn't get that the wrong way around by any chance did ya?

Advertisement