Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You don't need me to tell you about that, i'm sure you'll campaign for the healthcare workers vigorously with your local T.D?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You seem to have dropped your faux concern for nurses needing that I believe you introduced into the thread back in post #247...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm not the one arguing for a subsidy to better off healthcare workers at the expense of their lower paid colleagues.

Have you a clue about how Government works? You know that there's 14 other (democratically elected and appointed) Ministers who need to agree to such proposals, 13 of them not being Greens? We live in a democracy, and that is very precious and potentially quite fragile.

The Greens aren't 'in power' now. They are a minority member of a coalition, who have managed to persuade their colleagues that this stuff needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly the ban on selling petrol and diesel cars starts in 2030, and we are no where near the targets on new car EV sales. Electric cars are often charged overnight from wind and are a good option. Electric busses are far better, carry more people without the parking need.

Firstly I would encourage everyone to try base you life around not commuting, as in make job and home choices around not commuting such as working from home or living close to work. Not easily done, but if buying a house consider do you want to spend 2 hours a day for 40 years commuting with possible increased taxes.

Work from home is a big part of the solution. One stick is to make going to office by car expensive.

Public transport and taxis really are not working today, I don't get bus regularly and when I do there is no shows, busses full, busses late, no bus option to where I want to go. There is a massive shortage of bus drivers and taxi drivers. People don't want to work shift in stressful jobs and are leaving the industry.

Congestion charges will come eventually, very expensive parking in city centres is already a reality and I will try get the bus when I can, or car share etc.

However there needs to be a place for a car, unless we flood the cities with taxis. Things like weekly food shop, bringing babies to creche, bringing kids to school where you then go on to work by car etc. Lots of jobs are in areas with no busses such as many industrial estates.

I moved closer to work to avoid tolls, fuel costs, car maintenance and time wasted commuting. Not possible for everyone but my quality of life has improved and my costs have reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The ban is 2035 now as the EU told the government that it would breach single market competition rules.

FFS did you not read what I gave you? 🙄 Try again.

So you're basically getting outraged about a series of proposals in a document but you refuse to read the document it relates to while remaining outraged about said document. Clearly you're not a serious poster. Keep up the good work. 🤣

I work from home most of week but employer requires to come in increasingly often, there are millions in same boat

And will you be affected by the proposals (which aren't yet anything more than proposals)?

Does your employer require you to drive door to door? Have you absolutely no other options to get to your workplace?

we are told this brainfart is done to reduce co2 but no one here is able to articulate how much co2

maybe ask the Dept for details on their proposals?

ensuring that employers can not require those who can work remotely (and illustrated it during years of covid) to commute would imho do more to save co2

Agreed but not everyone can work from home (and they possibly were furloughed during the pandemic). For this reason, we need to make sure that those people who work in city centres are able to travel into those cities in a manner that is both efficient and sustainable.

as for your “sure just live in a city” proposal, hahahahah that’s daft.ie

So you think it is daft to want to live close to your workplace? Do you think it is sustainable for someone to commute every day from say cavan to work in Dublin? Would they not be better off if they could work in Cavan (or live closer to Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Do you want me to put up my finances. The fact is I could not afford the prices at the time when I was buying. The fact is life moves on you have kids who get settled the fact is finding a school place where your kids will be accepted and can walk to the school is now a near lottery or maybe you would be happy if I drove them to school every morning which doesn't fit in the greeny agenda. The fact is that prices in Dublin as apposed to where I am now has a higher differential between the 2 areas from when I bought. If people work in Dublin they have the right to drive there if there is no valid alternatives. So please don't tell me what I could or could not afford. Dublin is a very expensive city to buy or rent in and the number of properties available is at a shockingly low level. Maybe my family and I could move into a 1 bed apartment with another family ye know for the good of the planet. <Snip>

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I doubt many areas with industrial estates will be affected by a congestion charge.

• Advertisement

Is there any chance you could stop the strawmen? Making things up with "so are you now saying...." is very dishonest posting. 🙄

I got a new cycling jacket sometime in October or November last year. Yesterday was the first time I got caught in serious rain to test out the rainproofing. It worked fine btw.

Your keyboard seems to be stuck on bold and repeating the same text over and over again. Have you tried switching yourself off and back on again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a lot of fuss (on twitter anyway) about the examiner article reporting Ryan's comments that free PT would increase unnecessary trips; FWIW, this is the source of the examiner article, probably worth reading his comments in context.

i'd be curious if 'unnecessary trips' has a dry academic meaning - i.e. simply that they're trips that wouldn't have been made otherwise, or is the meaning more casual?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭raclle

I think you'll find most of the population lives outside Dublin. You need to climb out of that hole you're in and wake the fk up. If any of these lunatic proposals they keep coming up with came to light the country would come to a standstill in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

No but I should also not expect to be punished for driving to a city where I work when the underlining reason for wanting this charge is because of C02 emissions and as I say if every person in Ireland stopped driving from today it wont make a blind bit of difference as long as China, The US, India and Russia go on with their day to day practice's. So why are we crucifying the general public when we are producing less than .01% of the emissions. I mean its not like there is a cheap alternatives in Dublin for renting or buying at the moment and properties for sale and rent are at a record low number. Its not like we have a decent alternatives to the car for the vast majority of our population outside of Dublin who have to come in to work. So what is the green answer lets throw yet another tax you would swear people have plenty of cash and that we are not in the grips of a cost of living crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

"If I cycle in a bus lane, it is because I am legally allowed to do so".

That you cannot see the shocking double standard displayed by your own behaviour when you accuse others of "entitlement" beggars belief - perhaps the clapping seals in the Cycling forum might hoot in support, but everyone else reads the sentence above and knows exactly what you are - and "entitled" is certainly one of the descriptors. I am referring to multiple videos showing that you choose to delay hundreds of people using public transport rather than use the cycle facilities provided at no doubt considerable expense alongside - simply because you are "legally allowed to do so".

Remember folks, read the various fora here and these same few guys (and they are all angry middle aged men) are the majority cheerleaders for what are claimed to be improvements in public transport and active travel. They have no interest in public transport - in fact they detest the people that use it ("Can't afford to live a short cycle from work? LOL, fock you guys!") and go out of their way to delay public transport users because they're entitled to do so because - or so they claim - the facilities that they've been provided with are "not good enough". Funny, they never seem to be good enough. One particularly obnoxious cycling Youtuber here in Cork who seems to get into altercations daily has even said he doesn't use cycle lanes because rabbits might run out of the ditch - those damn rabbits eh? It's why the BusConnects plan (in Cork at least) literally features more cycle lanes than bus lanes, despite the name. It's also why some of the new 'active travel' developments here in Cork corral pedestrians (who comprise about ten times the modal share of cyclists) into a fraction of the space reserved for cyclists at the same location (who, of course, rarely use it anyway). I've even seen a diagram of road user hierarchy produced which, through some extreme perversion of logic, positions cyclists as the 'top of the food chain' of road users, even more so than pedestrians.

Anyone who is not one of the tiny number for whom private transport by bicycle is a viable option should beware most of these 'improvements' - because they are ultimately not designed to improve your experience.

I literally linked you the documents and you're still banging on about other garbage. Are you too lazy to read them or what? You're a comical poster I must say. 😂😂🤣🤣

Let me help you, it's literally in the first few pages in the document I linked for you.

"If I cycle in a bus lane, it is because I am legally allowed to do so".

That you cannot see the shocking double standard displayed by your own behaviour when you accuse others of "entitlement" beggars belief - perhaps the clapping seals in the Cycling forum might hoot in support, but everyone else reads the sentence above and knows exactly what you are - and "entitled" is certainly one of the descriptors. I am referring to multiple videos showing that you choose to delay hundreds of people using public transport rather than use the cycle facilities provided at no doubt considerable expense alongside - simply because you are "legally allowed to do so".

So you didn't read my post. I didn't delay anyone any more than someone driving in front of you is holding you up. I was travelling completely legally and have made a choice to use a bus lane because when i travel between 30-40km/h, it is simply not safe to do this speed on a poorly designed cycle track that is shared with pedestrians, joggers, dogs never mind the abundance of leaves, branches, stones and glass coupled with sign posts and occasionally a garda speed van. Then you need to factor in the need to stop at every junction because priority is generally given to everyone else including private entrances. Whilst it may have been constructed at considerable expense, it wasn't constructed with commuting cyclists in mind. It isn't entitlement. The alternative simply is not an option when commuting despite your incorrect belief that it is a "perfectly good cycle lane".

Incidentally, would you mind showing me which video(s) caused me to delay hundreds of people using public transport?

Remember folks, read the various fora here and these same few guys (and they are all angry middle aged men) are the majority cheerleaders for what are claimed to be improvements in public transport and active travel. They have no interest in public transport - in fact they detest the people that use it ("Can't afford to live a short cycle from work? LOL, fock you guys!") and go out of their way to delay public transport users because they're entitled to do so because - or so they claim - the facilities that they've been provided with are "not good enough". Funny, they never seem to be good enough. One particularly obnoxious cycling Youtuber here in Cork who seems to get into altercations daily has even said he doesn't use cycle lanes because rabbits might run out of the ditch - those damn rabbits eh? It's why the BusConnects plan (in Cork at least) literally features more cycle lanes than bus lanes, despite the name. It's also why some of the new 'active travel' developments here in Cork corral pedestrians (who comprise about ten times the modal share of cyclists) into a fraction of the space reserved for cyclists at the same location (who, of course, rarely use it anyway). I've even seen a diagram of road user hierarchy produced which, through some extreme perversion of logic, positions cyclists as the 'top of the food chain' of road users, even more so than pedestrians.

Anyone who is not one of the tiny number for whom private transport by bicycle is a viable option should beware most of these 'improvements' - because they are ultimately not designed to improve your experience.

You have gone off on a weird tangent here wiht your own personal experiences which is a rabbit hole I don't want to descend. However, to address a few points:

• cyclists are often middle aged men simply because women are often faced with mysoginistic abuse from other road users. Children tend not to cycle because parents fear for thsir safety because of drivers moving too fast.
    • You criticise the "particularly obnoxious cycling Youtuber here in Cork" for not using cycle lanes but as it needs to be repeated for those that don't understand, cycle lanes to date have not been designed for cyclists. They are box ticking exercises for planning that involve a bit of paint or are something that end abruptly and are often more dangerous than whatever road layout was there beforehand.

It is unfortunate that many of the people I share the roads with are too intolerant to understand that they share the roads. The assumption amongst many is that someone on a bike is a lower form of road user and therefore are a valid target for abuse. Your obvious lack of understanding of cycling infrastructure is evident and that you accuse me of delaying people despite missing the obvious point that while I'm moving, a bus may be unable to overtake me because of three lanes of single occupancy cars preventing them from moving out which are presumably moving more slowly than me. You also ignore the fact that the driver in front of you is delaying you - is this because they are driving rather than cycling?

Speaking of ignorance. If read correctly. The point of the sunday cyclist was in relation to weather which you have left out of context.

The point being if the committed cyclist group wont cycle in winter there must be something up weather wise.

Reducing motor traffic wasnt mentioned. Though one could argue is there figures on the cycle lanes being built taking road space and its usage?

• Advertisement

Yes I am not a serious poster.

Course it never rains in Ireland and we should all cycle in the Sun like our warm European cousins such as Greece, Spain , Italy etc. As there are zero cars there also.

I love getting a rise here as I take it so serious.

Your way to clever for me.

I'm not really sure why you are bundling "sunday cyclists" into a discussion about government proposals for reducing the number of people driving into cities. Plus, "sunday cyclists" are unlikely to use cycle lanes as they tend not to be in urban areas plus they travel in groups (plus cycle lanes tend to be sh1te).

However, to raise lycra is a bit stupid. People don't obsess over the clothing worn by people participating in other sports, so why cycling? Also remember that if the person cycling in front of you wasn't in lycra but in loose flappy clothing, they would be moving more slowly - is that what you want?

However, I would repeat the claim that was made by TM: in the past few years, I've cycled about 12,000kms per year, cycling all year round. I rarely get wet. However, to use the phrase "there is no bad weather, just bad clothing" would be apt here! As a cyclist, rain isn't really an issue when compared to wind.

You said it rains 70% of the time in Ireland. That alone means you're not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

We're going down all these holes of arguing about subsidising car parking etc....

...trying to have a balanced debate with vegan plantmilk drinking cyclists is about as fair as discussing building more cycle lanes with an American driving a 6 litre V8 pickup truck, i.e. too biased!

Not only will this congestion charge affect the cost of people who are barely able to cover their household bills but will also have a knock on effect for delivery drivers, tradesmen and taxi's (unless exemptions are granted) and that cost will be passed onto the consumer increasing inflation... Also if a driver has to park his vehicle all day whilst working on someones home the cost of parking will be extremely high for the day(s) he's parked .. again adding to your bill..

Reducing the speed limit by 20kph will mean that delivery truck average speeds will be greatly reduced as they get caught behind slow drivers (a massive problem for trucks) so that will add costs and time to goods getting to supermarkets etc.

The only other thing a congestion charge will reduce are the cars of lower paid workers trying to get into work etc.

...trying to have a balanced debate with vegan plantmilk drinking cyclists is about as fair as discussing building more cycle lanes with an American driving a 6 litre V8 pickup truck, i.e. too biased!

So you hope to have a balanced debate by insulting those you're debating with?

For reference, I'm not vegan (or vegetarian) and I don't drink plant milk.

• mod your posts here are far too heated. Cool the jets or I will threadban you. You can get your point across without resorting to name calling and aggressive language.

-Lily Unsightly Composer

Buying a hybrid isn't 'doing the right thing'. It is a cop out.

Fair play for the solar though.

You could feed a medium-sized town from the chips on your shoulder.

Funny how you fail to mention the strongest cycling cultures in Europe, our much cooler cousins in Netherlands and Denmark.

Being stuck being 'slow' drivers doing 20 kmph would be a distinct improvement for many delivery trucks.

I don't remember the huge outrage about how trebling the number of vehicles on our streets slowed down traffic interminably.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

As a hardcore member of the green cyclist vegan lycra plant milk cult, i couldn't really care less about the emissions reductions you keep going on about, i want less cars in city centres and for public transport like buses to be able to move around a lot quicker and smoother due to there being less cars on the road. it also makes urban centres safer for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You do realise that the Greens are a minority party in Government. You may throw an equal or more blame at FF and FG. They must be delighted that the Greens are being blamed for everything.

• Advertisement

The 'political backlash' isn't political though, it's from you and a few other blowhards on boards and other social media. Anyone with half a brain knows that we need to act urgently to avoid the imminent climate crisis, and the time for excuses is long gone.

Advertisement