Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

The X-Cellent:New Blood, New World. Belated follow-up to Peter Milligan's X-Statix, always my favourite of the X-books.

Good enough, but I'm not sure the world was screaming out for this...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A few weeks back I was reminded that Ryan Kelly has an indie series called Funrama, whose first two issues I really enjoyed when I first bought them a decade ago. Turns out that he's gone back to it in earnest since The Plague hit and has released several more issues since, so I ended up buying a set of the lot (along with some other things he had on his store because why not).

Funrama 1-7 are a really fun read - there's a lot of love for the classic superhero/soap-opera balance in effect, but it never feels padded or like it's spinning its wheels. The concept gives Kelly ample space to draw anything from character closeups to broad scenic shots and the enthusiasm shines through in the results.

I suspect that the inevitable result of this is going to be me signing up for Kelly's Patreon 😁

Next up - probably more Ryan Kelly comics, most likely Giant Robot Warriors. (I do appreciate a comic whose title tells you exactly what you're going to get...)

Finally got around to Saga, volume 10. Still loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yeah forgot about Saga, is part 2 or however they were doing it finished now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Started into Saga last week.. coincidence :)

Also completed Redlands Vol 1 and 2 ... it's pretty looking but the story was a bit of a miss for me

It's rated highly so might be good for someone else though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Nope - apparently Part 2 is planned to also be 54 issues long so a fair while to go yet.

I must actually give it a go, I've had the first trade on digital for ages and now have trades 1-10 thanks to the recent Earthquake Support Bundle from Humble. But I've never been the biggest fan of Vaughan's writing so let's see how it goes 😁

Thanks.

Yeah Saga is pretty special, one of the ones you'll remember after reading it (even though Id forgotten it was never finished).

That was an outstanding Humble Bundle and for a great cause. I don't really do digital comics or PC games in the last few years but I'd still recommend everyone to check it out.

Speaking of digital comics, I meant to check in with the Brain Trust here; back when I used to source digital comics from (ahem) hither and tither, I just used to use CDisplay in a desktop environment. What are the simplest, most effective solutions nowadays for primarily a laptop based environment? My preference is still for print, but there are some outstanding deals on digital back collections that I'm increasingly tempted by.

There's been mention previously of using PDF as a format, in which case Acrobat Viewer is probably the default, but most browsers can also render PDFs if you want something basic.

Having said that, for myself on Windows I typically use CDisplayEx - there's no real library management to speak of but it does the job of displaying comics well and doesn't eat a lot of resources.

(On my Android tablet I ended up buying the paid-for version of CDisplayEx, as most of the well-known names are no longer being updated and the couple of new alternatives weren't as good - either the library feature didn't work or wasn't using the correct permissions so would hang for 10 seconds at a time...)

• Advertisement

Had a read of Redlands since the first two volumes were in the recent Winter Horror Bundle and it was kind of fine? I liked the art style for the most part, but the story feels like it's juggling a few too many things to be really effective, which is compounded by the way flashbacks seem to crop up kind of arbitrarily. I don't think I'd be seeking it out as individual purchases, although I am curious about Bellaire's future writinng projects.

I also read Hope For The Future, a fairly short 2000AD collection about a PI in an alternate 1940s LA where magic exists. The art is a tad busier than I'd like at times but otherwise it's pretty good - bit of a "what if John Constantine was a gumshoe in a Raymond Chandler novel?" feel, which is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't mind reading more stories in this setting.

I finally addressed a shameful gap in my reading history over the last couple of days, by reading The Ballad of Halo Jones (the new painted-colour releases, as they were in some bundle or other). It was a very good read!

I struggle with a lot of older long-form 2000AD stories as I find many writers lean overly hard on the episodic aspect of the writing, leaving the larger story to be stitched together with exposition dumps. I understand why this happens, but it still bugs me. So it's great seeing Moore flex his skills here and write something that is built around that episodic nature without feeling constrained by it. The painted update to the artwork looks great IMO and a much more natural fit than some recolouring efforts I've seen; Halo's story is refreshingly unsentimental without leaning into miserabilism.

I'm guessing that if we haven't seen it by now we're not going to, but I'd gladly read more about this character and world.

The Moore approach was "don't own it, not writing it". Now, it seems to be - done with comics. As with all Alan Moore positions, I imagine these could change on a whim...

Reading the entire Aliens Omnibus collection, some absolutely amazing stuff like Earth War, some absolute trash that you cant believe ever got published. when its good its great though.

Ice Cream Man, collected volume one. Not sure about this - seems a bit sub-Stephen King. A pinch of pennywise, a dash of the Walking Dude...

Still, I like the art, Frank Quitely-esqe, so I think I'll pick up the next volume. Anyone gone deep into the series?

I've read 6 volumes of Ice Cream Man and really like it; there's a grimness to the writing that is too often missing from horror comics, along with some very dark humour. The setup does have some elements of Kingness, but does interesting things with it.

I would say definitely try the second volume and see what you think - if that still doesn't click, it might not be your thing.

In terms of my reading, I started reading Scarlet Traces: Home Front and realised there was a story between it and The Great Game (the last one I'd read) so I'm waiting on a copy of that to arrive.

You lot all let me down by not mentioning that the secons trade of The Nice House By The Lake had come out, so I'll be making time to read the whole mini again this weekend.

Read the first volume of Crossed. Found it a bit full-on but I'm not averse to reading more of it. I think I might skip on to the Alan Moore Crossed 100+ stuff though, and maybe dip in and out of the other stuff. Seems to me that it is all very episodic so this shouldn't be a problem. I recall a previous conversation here about this book though; any thoughts?

I dimly recall skimming the first few Ennis issues of Crossed and didn't really take to it; some of his stuff I find tries far too hard to be edgy and provocative, and this was definitely in that bucket. I haven't read the Moore stuff, though I recall some reasonably positive reviews.

What I would say is that Crossed: Wish You Were Here by Si Spurrier is worth a read, in that it takes the general premise and setting, and uses it to tell a good character-based story. I think the webcomic version may have fallen offline, but if you get a chance definitely take a look.

Buttonman; the confessions of Harry Ex (collected). I do love a bit of Artur Ranson's art

also reading A Fire Story, by Brian Fies -a graphic novel account of losing his home in a California forest fire. Liking it more than I thought I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Summers and Winter of Symbiotes

The Old Guard 2: Force Multiplied - Yeah, my problem with these is feeling that it's a good start to a series and Rucka is "over halfway there, gaiz!"

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood 02 - Watched the anime up the end of the first volume and the visceral stuff is a lot less intense in motion.

Akira Toriyama's Manga Theater - Very easy buy for me. A lot of it is building blocks towards Dragon Ball (Cashman is going to be the Great Saiayaman and together they're basically Jaco) with a dash of Dr Slump and maybe I could be crediting a more recent, stronger translation but the gags work a lot better than Slump ever did. Lot of one-shots I'd rather have spent more time with than Arale. It's really a 3-in-1 volume and I wish the latter two had kept up with the pages of where the ideas came from cause I enjoy the ongoing saga of Toriyama's love/hate relationship with drawing manga. Dat one sketch of Tori-Bot beseeching his editor to die through a doll curse.

Star Wars: Poe Dameron 3: Legend Lost

The Amazing Spider-Man Worldwide 7

Amazing Spider-Man: Venom Inc. (props for the punnage)

The Amazing Spider-Man Worldwide 8 / 9 / Red Goblin - Red Goblin collects 8 and 9 and may finally be the last straw in making sure I'm not double-dipping. Strong end to a strong series. Thought I was tying up the Slott run to go back over and complete The Gauntlet then found out Slott was back soon after starting (I don't list these in order but grouped by publisher usually).

X-Men Gold 4: The Negative Zone War*

Venom & X-Men: Poison X*

Venomized*

X-Men Gold 5: Cruel and Unusual*

X-Men Blue 4: Cry Havok*

X-Men Gold 6: 'Til Death Do Us Part*

X-Men Blue 5: Surviving the Experience*

X-Men Gold 7: Godwar*

Extermination*

X-Men: Summers and Winter* (boo hiss punnage boo)

I do not like the X-Men in space, I do not like the Poison race. I like symbiote designs though. Just a shame the Poisons are what a rival company would do to have symbiotes.😜

Black Panther by Christopher Priest Omnibus 1 - Partial re-read. Still more interested in the story of Panther joining the Avengers to spy on them. Can't really get on board with the character being a see-from-a-distance, always-appearing-two-moves-ahead figure even when he isn't and I'll still be stupid enough to get the next volume and moan when my interest starts to drift partway through again. During the previous read, I was more wanting the issues to lean into the super-heroics and the movie be more distant from the MCU but on a re-watch of the first Black Panther ahead of the sequel, I've gotten on with the film better watching it in isolation rather than as another instalment. Still think Marvel should have thrown money at the Tate Modern to call the not-British Museum the Tate Colonial.

Doubt I'll feel the same about Wakanda Forever assuming I find the energy again. That one really has to drag the MCU around like an anchor but I fully agree that the worst part of Sub-Mariner is Sub-Mariner. 😉 That and the Atlantis racism thing.

Sink Volume 2

Glass City Volume 1

When I was scrolling through this thread the other day, I thought this was Sink City and thought someone had done a Miller/Basin City parody.

*Digital version

Random selection, mostly from the library:

Beta Ray Bill, Argent Star. Must say I have no real interest in the main Marvel books but this was enjoyable, from the more fun end of their universe. Art a vaguely Kevin O'Neill style too (by the writer Daniel Warren Johnson, I think)

Best of 2000 AD Vol.2: standalone Dredd story, Book 1 of Nemesis the Warlock (coloured, unlike the original I think), some other stuff. Loved it, will pick up the other volumes

Something is Killing the Children, vol. 1, James Tynion; good set-up; will definitely read more

Inside Moebius, Part 1, Moebius. Part biography, part revisiting his key characters - don't know what to make of this yet...

Happy days

I liked the two volumes of Something Is Killing The Children that I read, but haven't gone further as it's not available to buy digitally without DRM. At some point I'll go back to it, Tynion is great at the ol' horror.

For myself I just read volume 4 of Department of Truth, which continues to be a great read but has the feel of something that might be wrapping up soon. I don't want it to drag out needlessly, but equally it's been a good enough read that I'd be happy if there were more than 1 volume left.

Next up is most likely Uzumaki, and then probably El Cisne Negro. And I do have a huge heap of 2000AD and Metal Hurlant comics waiting to be read on the tablet...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure everyone is aware of the events of the latest issue of Amazing Spider-man. I'll spoiler it anyway.

Wasn't a fan of the decision. She had very little involvement in the story and it just felt random.

Not sure when she'll be back since it's not like she had her own ongoing series anyway. I give it 4 or 5 months since the new film is out in November.

Welp, I've not read either of the two things I mentioned in my last post.

I have read a trade collecting a bunch of Mean Machine Angel stories from one of the 2000AD bundles, which had some fun stories but oddly ends up highlighting the limitations of the character - he's so relentlessly destructive and brutish that he pretty much has to be locked up at the end of each story because even in Mega-City 1 you can't have someone like that on the loose. And that then means you get stuck into having each story start with someone breaking him out of jail, along with givihg a reason for him to not immediately butt his captors into a greasy smear...

After that I figured I'd take a punt on the Girls series by the Luna Bros, since it was included in one of the Image bundles. The central premise is kind of interesting - it plays like a zombie film, only there's a gender-relations aspect to it. While the story does try and get stuck into that, the writing feels quite simplisitic, and is too often outright soap opera.

It reminds me in some ways of Revival, although where revival had solid character writing but an excessive fixation on a not-that-interesting supernatural plotline, Girls has the opposite problem - the supernatural plotline is weird enough to be interesting without being dwelt on excessively, but the character writing and plotlines are underbaked and overly soapy. It's worth a look, but I wouldn't be recommending buying them - if you don't have them in a humble bundle, get them from a library.

Videogames seem to be taking up all the time I might otherwise spend on comics reading recently, in part because of the frustration around outlets that sell reliably DRM-free digital comics.

I am four or five chapters into Uzumaki, which is predictably great Junji Ito creepy horror (the chapter with Shuiuchi's mother in the hospital was absolutely grim!), and I've still got plenty to go.

I was also pointed in the direction of Digger, a webcomic I'd never heard of but which looks and sounds very interesting - you know when something gets compared to both Bone and Cerebus, it must be doing something right.

One small bit of positive news for me on the digital comics front is that, for at least some titles I'm interested in, the Google Play marketplace may be an option. Certainly the Ice Cream Man trades appear to be DRM free and allow a direct export to Epub once purchased, which will do me. Annoyingly it seems that for a number of other series I would like to follow, the trade listings are incomplete e.g. Something Is Killing The Children is missing volume 4 for no obvious reason, and The Sixth Gun only has Volume 9 available...

I don't tend to read much electronically in recent years. What's the issue with DRM? That you never own what you buy, and that it can be altered/amended at any point? Or are there even more issues?

It's a mix of my ongoing aversion to using apps if I don't have to (until fairly recently I was using a Windows-based tablet), and wanting to have control over my media that doesn't rely on someone else's goodwill.

If I buy the Google Play version and export it straight away, for all I care Google can zap it from my account - I have the export and proof I paid for it. If I'm relying on the version in my account I'd lose access to it. I prefer my digital media purchases to have access parity to my physical media - i.e. if Amazon or whoever don't get to confiscate my physical comics after I bought them, I don't see why they should be able to do it with my digital comics.

Makes 100% sense. The longstanding electronic media argument that you're not buying the book/record/film, only a licence to read it, etc. has always made my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Read The Autumnal by Daniel Kraus there yesterday from my Vault comics humble bundle purchase recently.

It's very Twilight Zone or Gideon Falls in style both plot wise and art wise.

The ending was quite a shock...not a happy one...but a great engaging read

Advertisement