Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Down gave us the stiffest test yet but a good result in the end. There were a few moments we will have learned from. They cut through us easily enough at times, particularly for the goal, and Galligan made a good save a few minutes later.

When the Mourne men had to actually go for it at the end, they made some very poor errors and we could break easily. I would imagine they are used to having the upper hand on teams in that last ten minutes for fitness but not today.

James Smith, despite a brain fart from one free when the game was tight, made a huge difference when he came on around the middle.

We finally got to see Gearoid after all these weeks and that was some catch for his mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan are one of the few teams in the Country outside of the top 4 or 5 teams with a full time S/C coach. The conditioning superior to any of the teams in Division 3 ,who are mostly under new management teams and new S/C coaches. It takes a few years to get up to that level.

Down had some good patterns had play but overall Cavan were a better team. Down had players only coming into the panel in recent weeks the johntons and Eugene Brannigan. Kind of a thrown together team. Good to see Gearoid McKiernan making an appearance and getting a few scores.

Would agree they cut threw Cavan too easily a few times in first half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Down are like the old adage about the hedgehog, they have one trick and do it well. Massed defence and brilliant quick exchanges to work goal chances. They caught us cold but i liked the way we reacted. That was the blackest of black death defending that we've faced in a long-time and we eventually worked patterns of play. Once we went ahead, I was fairly confident we would win. As Cavan_King pointed out, they were gassed at the end. Lovely to see Gearoid back.

I was over on the terrace and when the half time whistle went, Laverty was like a bullock let out of a shed, racing onto the field. I thought he was going after the ref (one of the Down lads, one of many during the game i might add, was on the deck prior to half time claiming an off-the ball altercation). He then rounded up all his lads and flew down the tunnel and came back out and started accosting Cavan players when our lads started making their way in. I couldn't see much more after that, anyone in the stands see?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Well done the lads, promotion secured and there's more chance of me winning the euro millions than Cavan being caught by the mathematical possible scenarios. That young Carolan is a Rolls Royce in full flight and in the 2nd half they couldn't live with our pace and power. James Smith made a big difference and Gearoid has real menace inside at FF and a nice option for long kick outs too. They had to work a bit harder today than in other games but passed the test. What a shocking result for Antrim against Westmeath.

• Advertisement

I see some amount of cribbing online from Down people about the ref over on the Down twitter account. I thought the ref was very fussy and they got a lot of handy frees in the second half. In no way did i think the ref favoured Cavan, i thought he got plenty wrong for both teams.

Stephen Smith got a mark that wasn't and McVeety was pretty fortunate not to get a black card in the first half. Having said that, some of the rolling around on the deck from the Down players feigning head injuries was embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Laverty was roaring and shouting, I'm not exactly sure why but it seemed like a motivational tactic. It was very OTT and disrespectful as the Cavan lads were around him. One of the Cavan backroom team met him with a shoulder and it kicked off a bit. That's all I saw, not sure why two Down lads got red cards.

Niall Carolan is turning into an outstanding player. He is so fast, his man was turning him inside out with brilliant movement and Carolan still was able to beat him to the ball or get the hand in.

Great to see Gearoid back. He's such a specimen, if we can give him good service he will be a threat in that inside forwards line.

Also great to see Cian Reilly back. Fingers crossed he can get a run without injury.

I think we finished with a better team than we started. Still Oisin Kiernan, Conor Brady to come back. Some of the new guys are now finding the going tough as the standard increases.

Is a definite date set for the League finals?

Yes the date was in the fixtures Masters plan at start of year. April 1st -fools day for Division 3 and 4 finals

You’ll always get a few like that. I think Laverty was trying to build a bit of a siege mentality and give them a cause to motivate them in the second half. Kilcoo are a hated club in Down for their antics so that’s the environment he’s coming from.

I checked the Twitter account after you said that and a lot of supporters seem to think that’s them in Division 3 for another season but they’re only 2 points off Fermanagh.

Fermanagh have Westmeath and Cavan left whereas Down have Longford & Offaly so still plenty to play for.

Only realised checking the fixtures there that Cavan’s next game is a Saturday fixture. Saturday the 18th at 2. I can’t see many travelling for that with it being a familiar opposition, a long drive, very little for us to play for and a good few sore heads expected.

I would still love for Cavan to really push on and win all seven games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭celt262

Win the 7 games and then win the league final I think it's important to win it heading into the championship.

There is a good squad there at the moment i think Ryan O'Neill's and McCabes spots are most under threat with Gearoid back and Oisin Brady returning to fitness. It will be interesting to see how he manages McKiernan will he have him starting games or bring him in with 25 minutes to go i suppose that will depend on his fitness. Great to see him back yesterday that mark was greeted with some cheer our support definitely enjoyed that one!

Mickey mentioned that Conor Brady, Oisin Kiernan and Conor Smith are near ready to come back but that could be weeks away yet knowing Mickey. Its going to be hard to pick a 26 never mind 15.

I agree that with that, and when you consider that we will beat Antrim in two weeks time, we can put the mathematical scenarios to bed. Normally you would say that for a game like that it would be about resting lads, but given that championship isn't too far away you would imagine it will be about game time for Gearoid, James Smith, Jason and maybe one or two coming off the bench like Cian Reilly and the Gunner.

I was thinking that myself, the 26 for championship never mind the 15 is going to leave some lads gutted. I think of the "new" faces Carolan, Tiernan Madden and Boylan look the most secure. I've been really impressed with the latter. Even with a tight blanket he is making space and winning ball. Thought he should have taken a mark in the first half but won a few frees as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Micky did say after the Longford game that Connor brady and Connor Smith were 3 to 4 weeks away so if he said yesterday they were due back that’s about right, fingers crossed they are.

Carolan is some addition this year, he has serious pace and power.

Felt harsh to drop Evan Finnegan yesterday. He hasn’t put a foot wrong that I can think of but McLoughlin has to be one of the main stays of the team.

Tiernan Madden probably has the best vision of all the Cavan forwards. He was picking out lovely passes off either foot. He could be a good player on the 40 in the next few years.

I think he was exposed a bit in Tullamore which has dented his hopes of keeping a place. Mickey wasted no time in subbing McLoughlin in to nullify the threat. Finnegan's top end pace might make him not suitable against certain opposition.

With Conor Brady, Oisin Kiernan and Oisin Brady all to come back, McCabe and David Brady will find it tough to hold those jerseys.

Will James smith come in at midfield along with killian Clarke and where does Connor brady come in when fit again surly the half back line stay as it is? Lots of tough selection headaches for Micky going forward, I can’t wait until everyone is fully fit.

My Championship 15 with everyone fit:

Ray

Carolan Faulkner McLoughlin

Holla McVeety Conor Brady

Clarke Smith

Gerry Cian Madden Oisin Kiernan

Oisin Brady Lynch Gearoid

Probably tough on Tiarnan Madden but I think Brady is a more solid option defensively and a more accomplished shooter. Boylan has been excellent but I think Oisin Brady offers more athleticism.

• Advertisement

Would put Clarke back in defence and Conor Brady into midfield. I don't think Conor Brady is comfortable as a back at county level.

McVetty could go into forwards and Conor Brady or Clarke Centre back.

You’ll never have everyone fit though, therein lies the issue.

McVeety seemed to be operating further forward at times yesterday with Gerry dropping back a bit more - although positions were tough to tell at times.

In 2019 Mickey left McVeety in the half back line all through the League and then unleashed him in the forwards in the championship. We may see a move like that.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Clarke back into the full back line, Conor Brady at midfield & McVeety into the half forward line. Moves mentioned on different posts above.

If it came down to Tiernan Madden vs Oisin Kiernan, I’d go with Tiernan at the minute.

I can’t see Cian Madden holding a starting position.

I think Tiarnan looks great carrying the ball forward, he can deliver a nice pass too. I don't know if he's defensively strong enough yet to make a championship team. We've seen a few very sloppy tackles around the neck from him over the last few games as a result of this. His shooting also lets him down.

I think our defence has been so solid this year, Mickey will be reluctant to move McVeety to the full forward line. In 2019 we didn't have Lynch and needed Gearoid at midfield. McVeety's tackling is fantastic and his aggression in that sector of the field is a huge asset, he stepped out of position yesterday which led to the Down goal but overall I think he's still the best option there.

When is Conor Smith due back? His County career has been blighted with injuries but has showed at club level he's a quality player. He'd be 24/25 now, U20 in 2018.

Brandon Boylan has done very well in his first year on the Senior panel but isn't a natural corner forward. Plays mostly as a half forward with Crossedlough. Ryan O Neill was quiet yesterday. He is a good ball winner but doesn't score enough to be a regular starter.

That's probably not far off it, assuming everyone is fit. And with that, you have real options such as Boylan to bring pace to the attack if we needed to freshen things up or Tiarnan Madden to carry the ball and pick out passes if the game opened up. The half back has looked very balanced in the last 5 games and I would be loath to change it, but Conor Brady would add a huge amount of physicality that could be needed to counter the runs of Burns and the like.

One definite is that if both are fit, it's Clarke and Smith in the middle. Killian might have been listed at centre half in the programme in the last 2 years but he's more or less been in midfield and consistently solid alongside James Smith or Galligan. It's an underrated role, but he's doing it really well. I think his versatility in the past (corer back, full back, wing back, centre half, midfield and even a brief stint at full-forward) and his willingness to play any role had an impact on his form- but he's been brilliant in the middle for us and there's no way we need to change that now.

Similarly McVeety at centre half back works in terms of the defensive shift he can put in and his ability to break forward to cause havoc. As noted, we have Paddy Lynch as a target man and possibly Gearoid for that as well.

One thought i had was that if Gearoid isn't 100% on all cylinders for the Armagh match, we might see O'Neill start. He puts in some shift, is willing to track runners and wins ball regularly. He's not prolific but he could do a job for 35 minutes and then we could bring in Gearoid, life the crowd (if needed) and also completely change how Armagh (or Antrim 😉) have to set up defensively.

I think Cian Madden will start. Management clearly rate him, he was a starter more or less all last year. He's a stand out player in the best club side and even in his debut senior county season you could see massive potential: brilliant engine, plays with his head up, looks to kick the ball inside to create chances.

You could see that last year he sometimes struggled physically against bigger teams and didn't score enough. But this year he's played well in all games bar maybe the Westmeath match and i think he's kicked two points from play in his last three games. I think he will only get better. He's definitely benefited from another year S&C as he's not getting bullied off the ball or allowing himself to get swarmed up in tackles.

Yeah that's a really good point about bringing on Gearoid. You can rely on O'Neill to win ball and if we get the runners off him, he can be very useful and always puts in a big shift. Having Gearoid on the bench is doubly beneficial. It gives a mental lift to our players knowing we have a trump card to come on, knowing that if the scoreboard is tight we have someone to push us over the line if we are beginning to struggle for scores.

It will also change the way Armagh are playing, they will have a plan in place for Gearoid and we can force them into changing their shape to accomomdate that. Tired bodies and minds of Armagh will suddenly have a big task. I also feel that Armagh's answer to these sort of challenges can often be stepping over the line physically. That could result in cards or kickable frees, all good news for Cavan if we can take advantage.

This Armagh team now have a history of not getting over the line in big games, particularly Ulster games. There has to be doubts in the minds of their players so we need to put then in a position where those doubts bubble to the surface and they make mistakes.

There is still 2 League games and League final to play so players can still make an impact for a place for championship.. In a tight championship game Conor Madden would be more likely to come on then Ryan O Neill. Putting in a big shift should be a given for any County player

• Advertisement

Madden seem to be in serious shape this year and has done well when introduced so far this year, this is the strongest squad we have had in a while we have good cover around the field apart from maybe full-back we would have to put Clarke back there if anything happened Faulkner. I would also like to see Ray Galligan sit out one of the remaining games.

Advertisement