Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Your take on the red card was embarrassing enough but your take on that picture takes the biscuit. Not a shels or bohs fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Think you're confused about what RTEs role is. They're a public service broadcaster. It's not their job to advertise the league unless the league pays for ads like other businesses do. Supporters of other clubs that don't have big games with packed stadia are just as entitled to that public service as the supporters of the bigger clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Thanks for your opinion friend. Couldn’t really give a f*ck who you support in truth. Not sure why you’d feel the need to share that.

Post edited by Jarhead_Tendler on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kerry very much far from the finished article yet, but their most complete performance to date, and always important to pick up your first point of the season, particularly at home. Gaxha and Gleeson will be very much central to the side's progress, and if they can just tighten up on their disciplinary record, the first win mightn't be too far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The new appeals process is surprisingly fast so fair play to the FAI for that, but there's absolutely no way it should have been upheld. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I was standing about ten metres away from the incident. It was the most obvious straight red I've ever seen. The camera angle doesn't fully capture the movement of Connolly's elbow.

I'll have to take your word for it because it looked seriously harsh from the LOITV camera angle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Don't really see the issue with the red. He's annoyed by the tackle and is clearly going to confront him before he gets bumped into. If Lopes is getting sent off for what he did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thought push/barge might be a mitigating factor in getting something reduced but Connolly was definitely well on the way to reacting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well Friday was great! Definitely looked like it was going to a 0-0 stalemate until we had that touch off class.

Defo a couple of Bohs got into the Riverside and got dragged out by the Guards. One has even posted a photo of himself today on Twitter....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Still confident we'll easily win the league when it's all said and done, but the second half on Friday, and the majority of tonight has been dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Felt Shels deserved something from that match. Thought last season, a lot of calls went against Shels at importmant moments in games, and the same happened tonight with the disallowed goal at the end, which defintely looked onside.

When we went 1-0 up could of pushed on to get a second as we were pretty comfortable and looked dangerous, Dundalk looked blunt. We handed them the inititive and only really started to play again when going behind. Had the beating off Dundalk I felt, but didn't press it when we should have, and payed the price. More a case of Shels handing Dundalk the win, rather than Dundalk being the better side and winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ah lads, football is bloody amazing isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pathetic from us against 10 men tonight for the majority of the match. If there has been sloppy goals given away than most of ours in the last two matches I'd like to see them because we've laid down the red carpet for Dundalk and Sligo. Clancy is on thin ice after those performances.

Rob Hennessy special in Sligo tonight. Absolutely useless.

Still managed to win despite playing with 10. The lad we have from Leipzig, Hartmann, is quality. Pats were shocking bar a short spell in the 2nd half in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great to score 4 goals but disappointed not to hang on for 3 points.

City's defending from corners was brutal. Attacking wise much more encouraging.

This goal needs no introduction

https://twitter.com/reptracker/status/1632844455702151172?t=jeq5baaU-mHVzckhQYkoBw&s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers were shocking at the back tonight, so vulnerable on the counter attack. It was a crazy game that could have finished any score really, but despite all the goals I don't think we created that many clearcut chances from open play. Another poor result and performance against Shels on Friday and you'd start to worry a bit. Cork keeper pulled off a few brilliant saves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would have been very happy with the draw pregame but a fair bit disappointed not to win when 4-2 up with 8 to go.

Still, 4 goals scored away to the champions is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Comfortable against the students tonight.

Jez, the ucd bowl looks a soulless place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭PGE1970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'll drive Mark Doyle up to Drogheda myself so ye can take him back. Dire is the only way I'd describe his performances so far this season.

I'm not surprised to be honest.

He was good enough for us but isn't top of the table standard.

Odumusu will let you down as well. His distribution is poir and whilst he is capable of a good save, there is always a howler lurking in the background.

I still wish Tim well though. He did great for us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bohs look decent going forward, great link up play between the front four all game. Still a bit soft at the back and prone to a howler. Advice to all opposition managers, put pressure on the back four when they try and pass around, you will be rewarded. (you might even be rewarded for not putting pressure on)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have to say UCD look awful. They are nailed on to be going down. Early prediction is that Shels and Drogheda will battle it for 8th and 9th.

Rovers poor start makes the top a bit more exciting but you have to think that they will come good in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Rovers problems look fixable, simply having Pico back at the centre of defence & having Gary O'Neill at No.6 will solidify the very creaky looking defence.

Still think up front Kenny is a poor fit at the moment though, he's simply not on the same wavelength and far too many moves break down with him, so he has some bedding in to do before we see him really helping the team improve, Play Gaffney and we'll be fine though. The key thing is whilst we are likely to ultimately get our act together to some extent, if Derry can build up a 12/13 point lead early on that could be a difficult lead to catch especially with europe to come... So whilst there'll be many saying no need to panic its just 4 games in, if Derry can use this difficult start & rack up points they could be difficult to haul in. They have experience this year having been involved last year right up until the death so I fully expect them to not have a mid season wobble as big as last years, so whilst Rovers re far from out of it this early they'd want to get their asses in gear quick before Derry make it a bridge too far.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Can’t imagine we will be too in the thick of it. Even last night I don’t think we deserved to lose at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is we Shels? Not enough up front imo and will find it tough to win games

Boyd is one of the best strikers in the league IMO and will be back for the bulk of the season.

We struggle quite a bit without him, but haven’t lost a game by more than a goal, and when we’re talking about Moylan, Caffrey, Smith, Farrell and Leavy competing for 2 spots behind Boyd, I can’t imagine we’ll be talking about how there isn’t enough up front.

• Advertisement

Hope you are right but that is my sense of it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

having seen the highlights of the 5 matches, I thought drogheda played well.( as did Sligo) . Dundalk were lucky. Rovers and City will never defend so poorly again. Hats off to Derry though. Unless it’s a Dublin derby the UCD Bowl is dead.

Well yeah, that’s how it’s been so far, because you’re watching it without Boyd, and his absence is a clear and glaring hole.

Trouble between the benches in Oriel last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We should have finished off the game in the first half - Tulloch looks good for Dundalk!

Your best buddy punched at least 5 people, and then urinated on the crest of every team in the league.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Can't disagree there, however I do wonder is some of that coming from the back 4 not really being settled at all and Talbot being an absolute liability since he's come back.

On last night, other than it being bleedin freezin in Dalyer, lot of positives.

Akintunde had a great game, same with McDaid, seemed to really be up for it. Afolabi just needs to get one or two goals under his belt, as his all round play bar his finishing has been decent. Coote looks well up for it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fabrice Hartmann looks promising for Sligo. Unlucky not to score with a free last week as well.

You could do a bit of a clean up at Buckley Park and it'd look better than Oriel. Sad to see it lying abandoned because it's a fine ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Grass must have been cut in the last few months. Saw a pic when we were down in Limerick at the First Division playoff final back in November, grass was a few feet higher. We were talking to a couple of lads involved at junior level in Kilkenny and they were telling some stories about Buckley Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

We should have. Last year i said we'd push Rovers and Derry in coming seasons, I retracted that after seeing the signings we made, lack of experience, but after seeing the first 4 games, I think we're building something special. It's clear now there is a vision and a gameplan, and will be implemented with youth and speed. We still lack experience and game managment but it will come. Look at the difference in passing between the first game last season compared to when we beat Bohs in the cup, and even compare that to the passing in the first half against Dundalk, huge improvement.

We're at that stage in development where we have all these near misses and chances, but at some point it will click and gel, and when it does, a few teams will be in for a battering imo, we're the coming team. I've actually been impressed with our general play and disciplined structure, but yes we lack experience and game management, but I definitely think we're going in the right direction.

Going to Tolka Park every game, and any away game I can, you can feel the bond between the manager, fans and players. There's definitely a unity there, a connection closer than anyone else in the league has. On any given week, we've the best and loudest fans. Last season we went toe to toe with the best in the league on many occassions and gave as good as we got, but lack of experience killed us. But it's building towards something big imo. Something special is slowely happening in Tolka Park, and when it all comes together we'll be a force to be reckoned with.

We're the giants of Irish football and we've been away too long. The Pride of Ringsend is rising once more. Wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Drogheda v Dundalk almost sold-out a week before the game.

Great to see.

Those pics from twitter look out of date unfortunately. Someone (maybe in response to that popular tweet) went and took a video of what it looks like right now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The greatest thing ever in the history of the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It'll be a cold sit at the games tonight!

No seats in the "shed" at Richmond! Suppose we'll have to wait and see if there is any callings off.

Lots of pitch inspections today, but I’d say they’ll end up on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Due to adverse weather conditions, pitch inspections have taken place in all grounds across the SSE Airtricity Men’s Premier and First Divisions for tonight’s games in the League of Ireland. 

The following games will be subject to further pitch inspections while all other fixtures will proceed as planned. 

•   UCD v Drogheda United – 15:00 inspection

•   Derry City v Dundalk – 13:30 inspection

•   St Patrick’s Athletic v Bohemians – 15:00 inspection

•   Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers – 15:00 inspection

Results of these pitch inspections will be communicated in due course.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement