Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

They've already gone to digital tickets

The new stand will cover a lot of the other stuff. The main stand is an issue as in it doesn't generate money for the branch, it goes to the dogs. If it wasn't for Connacht rugby the dog track in Galway would be a loss making exercise.

Flags, programs, match day activities, all those things need to stay. Keep engaging young fans and have more than rugby be the reason to go up.

A lot of the on day stuff like stewards etc... Are all volunteers

I'd say Connacht are running as tight a ship as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I wasn’t suggesting Marmion should start ahead of Blade. I was saying he should be in the 23 ahead of Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I've no problems with those areas. Connacht do the best they can with the match day experience in general and I have huge respect for the stewards who do a thankless job. On the flags a large number of them do tend to get thrown on the ground by end of the game and are unusable. Supplying them at multiple matches is a bit of a waste but that's a minor issue.

My issues would be with some of the hangers on for glamorous away trips and as a season ticket holder trudging up College Road for years parting with hard earned money the number of people getting waved into the ground for free driving in at the far gate leaves a bad taste. Some of these people are genuine but a large percentage are not. I do accept this is a blight on all sports and Connacht aren't alone in this regard.

Plus it's obvious that some of the jobs are to reward former players which doesn't necessarily help in getting the most qualified people for certain positions in the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

I've never seen anything to suggest that connacht rugby was anything but a tightly run ship. Not to say that they shouldn't look to make any available savings but don't think there is anyone riding the connacht gravy train.

The simple fact is our income is too small and that's not an easy problem to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

People underestimate how important even an extra 2k people at a match can be for the financials. We didn't and won't get that in the Challenge Cup pool games. For Champions Cup home pool games you're sometimes seeing attendances bigger than some of our Interpros. That's why the loss to Newcastle was such a sickening blow. You'd have been looking at a big crowd for a home knockout game, even if it was a lower competition.

Now an extra 2k at a one-off game isn't paying the wages of somebody like a Marmion, but it all adds up in the accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Remember there's Revenue sharing in European knock outs.

I'd say that having less knockout games (if lack of home advantage means an early exit) will have more of an effect than the difference in attendance between a home and away knockout.

It would have been even more as knockouts aren’t included in season tickets so would probably have been 6-7k. That’s assuming I’m reading your comment right and you mean 2k over season tickets.

Do you have a link? I had heard it wasn’t but didn’t know personally. Can’t find it on google. Nonetheless with Treviso averaging around 3k at home at ticket prices of €10-€20 the difference will be substantial. Local sponsors were also pretty unhappy at the outcome as many gain from the games, hotels restaurants bars etc

Very quick Google search delivers this discussing how Munster got boosted money (65% instead of 50%) because they moved last years quarter final to a bigger venue.

I can't find a source about the challenge cup quickly but I'm pretty sure it's the same rules as the champions cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The problem for Connacht as regards extra people at games is the venue. It's very difficult to get parking. Between Galway traffic and difficulty finding parking you are talking about nearly an hour extra for people travelling from outside the City. They need to move out of the City and find a good spot close to the motorways. That'll make it easy for everyone to get to games and I think it'd attract a lot more people. Galway city traffic is awful and difficulty finding parking versus ease of access, parking and no traffic issues. If you were near Oranmore or even a bit further out I think it would attract a lot more people.

Athlone is only about 30 minutes away, Ballinasloe closer, then you've got Gort on the Limerick side and even Kinvara people have an easier way in. A lot of time taken off the journeys of people from Mayo, Sligo and Roscommon.

I know it'd cost a lot of money but there would be huge grants available and I think there'd be serious interest in raising funds for it in every Connacht county.

I've got friends living all over Connacht who are big Rugby fans and go to a couple of games every year but they all tell you they'd be there every week only for how long it takes them to get in.

Wouldn’t agree with that at all. I’d have no issue with it personally and do think they could do more outreach around the province generally speaking.

The venue is a huge advantage though I think, there’s thousands going to Connacht games who have limited enough interest in rugby (or at least did when they started attending) but enjoy an evening out and a five minute walk to town. I’d be very sceptical about attendances getting anywhere close to same level elsewhere.

There’s still room for growth at the sportsground too, need a proper stand for older people, better facilities generally, that combined with a reasonably competitive team should see considerable growth.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. It will still be a considerable difference due to the draw as it will be around 3k treviso fans even assuming they all sell at €20 rather than the €10 it’s 30k for Connacht. Travel expenses probably takes a reasonable chunk out of that.

Connacht likely would have sold 6k tickets at €32 ish. Not to mention hospitality, local sponsors, enhanced chance reaching quarters, Newcastle away was clearly a very costly error.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Apark and ride system (which will be here eventually) will do the same thing...

A lot of Connacht fans are there for the night out and enjoy the apres match experience. This includes many away travellers as well...

The Connacht ground is close to the Train & Bus as well as the city bus routes... It is a great location for a ground rather than outside the city... I remember the odd game in Cortintians... There no experience compared to the game experience now... There is no per and post match atmosphere...

In fairness all the provincial rugby grounds share this type of atmosphere... Compare that venues that are in the middle of nowhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Ideally I would love if all the sports (e.g. Rugby, Soccer & GAA) shared this ground and have a regular Friday or Saturday Night game... Something we could kind of expect a game there on a weekly basis... I think it would be great for the city and the teams involved..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

If a park and ride facility was setup at the airport for games I'm sure it would help hugely in getting fans from around the province in and out. A 5 euro charge for the bus would be reasonable. Start 2 hours before kick off. Not everyone can make the chartered busses from around the province so this could be an option.

I'd say this discussion has been gone over almost a million times now. Most professional sports teams would love to have a city centre location within minutes walk of a train station, two coach stations, and most of the city's commuter busses. Like it or not, Galway is by a huge distance the largest population centre in the province, it's where most of our casual rugby fans will come from, and it's where our best opportunities for lucrative corporate sponsorship deals lie too. A stadium in Oranmore would likely end up with a smaller attendence with a larger percentage of hardcore fans. Thankfully the branch have been through all the options in detail and staying at the Sportsground came out as a clear best choice.

For the rest of the province the branch should work on matchday park and ride shuttles to coincide with stadium upgrades.

The cynic in me says that there'd still be a similar volume of complaints about parking even if we built a green field sports venue outside the city.

I reckon there would be more complaints as no one would be able to walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Sportsground is the most public-transport accessible "stadium" in the city, being, as you say a five minute walk from two coach stations and a train station. In an era where we're trying to de-congest cities, that will only be more important.

Now a person could rightly complain about, for example, the lack of a train after some of the evening matches, but that is a matter for Iarnrod Eireann.

Contrast where the Sportsground is with where Pearse Stadium and Terryland Park are - neither of which have parking anywhere near them and Terryland in particular having zero public transport nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Travel some distance to Galway for the games. Never had an issue with parking. So it depends on how early you travel as to how close you can park but I never have to walk more than 5 minutes to the Sportsground so this is a pointless discussion.

Maybe a more interesting discussion is do we really want a huge stand which will be largely unpopulated for most games. Always loved being able to snuggle into the Clan. Would prefer that the terraces behind the posts were covered.

And as for the comment about Caolin's wellbeing if Marmion continues to be his backup is utterly ludicrous. I don't care about Caolins feelings. I care about Connacht rugby. If Caolin feels that way then get a life elsewhere.

On other matters it is clear there will be zero new introductions come the end of this year. So we are left with who we have while losing Marmion and Wooten and God knows who else (I suspect Bundee will indeed be leaving to Munster. He simply can't stay in Connacht. He is unwelcome by both team and management).

So if we have to play inside our current confines then we have to look inside our player base to solve our key issues. And while I may not be a Caolin fan, the primary issue is 10. So as Zeugnis says if Forde can step up to the mark maybe next year has hope. And my thoughts is Daly should also be considered.

But we all know Carty has been a failed experiment for so long and that Hawkshaw is a centre. So can we just stop this.

Nice one. Liked that 😂. And while I get what you say and while I'm terribly repetitive it's only because I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

As others have said the venue is actually perfect. Now you could try get park and ride/buses from other areas of province. Moving out of city would be madness and make it harder to attract people not increase interest.

Connacht very much want and need a stand. you can sell seated tickets for more, plenty of people wont go to games if standing in an uncovered terrace at end of pitch. with redeveloped clan etc there will be less of that. covering terraces behind posts is difficult with dogs remaining

• Advertisement

I absolutely don't agree. It's this concept that if you build they will come. Reality is Connacht hit an 8k mark during interpros. And that's it. Otherwise it's about 3k. So you build a big empty stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I watch a lot of Connacht games when in Sportsground from either Bohermore or College Road terraces. if you had better covered facilities people are more likely to go. Connacht have got a lot more people going to games with the clan terrace. even on bad days(performance wise as well as weather). why because its a decent covered stand. would attendances be as high if what was there before clan was built? No.

Is the Grant Thornton wheelchair accessible by any chance? It's the only part of the ground I've never been in but it is very exposed to the rain so the low takeup is understandable.

I don't think it is. The official location for wheelchair access is a covered pitch level deck in the corner between the Clan Terrace and the Bohermore Terrace. Not a great location but we'll get a huge improvement there when the Clan Stand is built. You should be able to make arrangements for access by ringing the branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Sportsground is a perfect location for a stadium. Connacht have already done a study on this and came to the conclusion the sportsground is the best location. If they moved to a location beside the motorway it would be soulless and only accessible to cars.

Agreed. There is no issue getting to the ground or parking close by. A big horrible unpopulated stand might be an issue rather than a warm covered area for all. Reality is the visibility from all areas is rubbish. People attend for the atmosphere. And if you have a big f### off stand it will do nothing for the atmosphere. We all go for the atmosphere and a bit of fun. We can watch the game afterwards

And of course an opportunity to whine at linesman and referees. It's part of the fun

I know moderators have been more than decent with my posts which tend to be argumentative. So I will desist and no longer post in this forum. I understand and appreciate my posts, while not necessarily completely inflammatory, are simply an irritation to others. It's just the repetitive nature that irritates. It struck me recently that I have being simply being too much and as such have made this forum unbearable. So I wish all of you and Connacht the best. I doubt I will be missed.

Don't take arguments too personally on here. We've had a bad couple of seasons since covid so you're certainly not the only person being critical of Connacht. It'd be a shame to lose any regular contributors because it's sadly not that busy a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I don't find you annoying: wrong? Yes, sometimes. Unkind? Occasionally. But Connnacht need tough love and you give it. Maybe consider how useful some of the repetition is, and avoid being so personal in your criticism of individual players. But don't give up, there's plenty you say that i find thoughtful and challenging, and that expands the 'Overton window' of how we understand the team's limitations. That's an important antidote to the fan dreaming and marketing codology we're fed a lot of the time.

Advertisement