Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city pubs to watch a match

Options
  • 06-03-2023 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi, will be staying in Cork City day of game against England. Looking for a pub for herself and myself to watch the match? Any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

are you looking for somewhere quiet that you can hear the TV or are you looking for somewhere busy with a bit of 'atmosphere'? and will ye be staying before/after - its patricks weekend so it could be pretty busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Give me options for both? 🤪

a quiet place will probably be hard to find in the city centre itself on that day most likely, best bet there would be to head out from the very centre. somewhere like the rendezvous bar in wilton might be relatively quiet but its also very near Highfield RFC so if they dont have anything on in their bar it could be very busy still. you could head out to douglas if you really wanted a quiet place too, id imagine most of the pubs out there wouldnt be too loud. sullivans is a great bar but i dont think ive watched a match there

as for somewhere with a bit more 'life', id say you could take your pic in the city centre tbh, most places will be pretty busy and will be showing it. if its a nice day the courtyard on sober lane will likely have it on outside but theres a good chance that could be absolutely mobbed. the market tavern by the city hall was always good but i havent been there for a few years at this stage. the thomond is pretty much dead central and usually very good. cissie youngs on bandon road is usually good aswell but its probably the only pub in that area that will have it on so it could be packed

but yeah id say you could take your pick for busier places

Spot on, thanks for that. Staying at the river Lee hotel so central enough

no worries, i actually forgot a few places around that side of the city. the woolshed/mardyke (might be a different name now) complex would be good, reardens will be jammed but good, costigans is a great place but ive never been there for a match i think it would probably be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 JuanBarry

Reardons not my cup of tea in the evenings but is usually good for a game.

Rob Roy or the thomand for marginally more central.

Rising sons brewery if you want to try some beers at the same time.

Sober lane (but to be confused with the courtyard on sober lane suggested above) is good but will probably be rammed

Excellent thanks for that

btw i forgot to mention the most important thing no mater where you go....

...beamish, not guinness (despite the fact you are going to watch a match sponsored by guinness)

I’m more of a lager man, (but will try craft beer) so will probably stick to that. Herself stereotypical Gin and fruit 😂

rising sons might be a good bet so, havent been there for a game but they generally have good food and a good craft beer selection. thre franciscan well and abbots alehouse are great for craft beers too but neither would be showing the match

• Advertisement

It’s nearly 8 years since we’ve been out in the city! Herself went to ucc back early 2010’s but what she knew then doesn’t suffice now

Just a note on this. We booked a table at Brewdog. I’m a fan of the beers as is herself. Just checked on their website and it had an option to book a table for the 6nations matches.

I haven’t seen or heard anything about how they show live sport especially when it comes to a big game like Ireland v England. Anyone here been inside and saw where they show games etc? I can’t find anything. I booked the table for 3.30 so if it is poor, we’ll have time to go somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Different option.

Advertisement