Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The only piece not really started is the embankment south of the present roundabout to take n25 east to M8 north traffic off the flyover.

Interesting to see they have begun initial surfacing work for City to Tunnel link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also Little Island south roundabout to N25E. Embankments for that require closure of the current N25W to Tunnel exit to the roundabout.

I’m genuinely stunned at the progress on link F. Could be opened within a few weeks. Surfacing on the link is now going full steam ahead.

Could well coincide with tunnel to city link opening at same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That'd be great see. It is weird how the tunnel to city slip has just gone quiet, clearly a change of plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Will the opening of Link F remove the need for traffic lights under the flyover? (i.e. the last set before you hit the fork between east-bound traffic and the M8)

Yes. They should be removed when the current slip is closed.

The lights as you exit the tunnel will remain for some time yet I’d imagine. M8S to City and N25W to M8 North movements will need to be catered for before those lights can be removed.

Should do as there wouldn't be any traffic crossing that point. Assume they'll(the lights) move to the Link F section where it joins.

I don’t think it will help with traffic flow very much. The 2 sets of light on tunnel exit (one after the other) were in sync. Removing one set of those lights shouldn’t help things a great deal. The sequencing on the lights at tunnel exit shouldn’t change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Steady progress.

Id say a lot of the works will be done in the next 6 months, especially when the good weather hits.

• Advertisement

The loop piece of the City to Tunnel link is currently being surfaced. Amazing progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How will traffic eventually come from M8 towards city, if the roundabout is going to be closed off? I can't make it out on the plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Coming down the M8, you take the left towards Midleton, then take an immediate left onto the new flyover. Go over that, back the other way and straight into Tivoli

Ah ok, so going the opposite direction initially! Cool, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its the one slightly disingenuous movement on the new layout. The thing is, to have a direct route from M8S to Tivoli, you'd need to add an entire new layer to the whole junction.

I wonder would many people just get off at M8 at Glanmire and drive through instead? I suppose it's not that much of an inconvenience though....

Aslo, I drove to Dublin on Saturday and took the new slip after you come off the Dunkettle roundabout (Glanmire) and the length of road to feed onto the M8 is very short!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep, they mostly will avoid Dunkettle and rat run I think. That's why I didn't like it when I saw it!

I think the opposite. I don’t see any major issues. If anything, the more free flowing nature of the junction will lead to tailbacks from the Dunkettle Roundabout now that it has traffic lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭Shedite27

When I saw the plans originally I thought it might, but seeing it now in real life, the slip off M8 flows straight into the slip to the roundabout, so it feels like it's just the one slip, rather than slip onto N25, then turn off for roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I think you’re talking about two different places..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

Strange decision to abandon all work on the slip to town from tunnel north when it was due to be open last month.

Maybe they want to avoid congestion at the Dunkettle RA for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

I reckon "movement" is a particularly apt word when going from M8S to the city centre because it's akin to a messy bowel movement. People may well say that most M8S traffic goes to places other than the city centre but I think many people are going to find it weird that when travelling to the city centre they have to negotiate two roundabouts, one of which has a pedestrian light at one of its exits. I can hear the conversation now... "Yeah the drive down was grand but I think we took a wrong turn somewhere because we ended up leaving the main road."

Yeah 4 roundabouts in 900m, sharing with pedestrians and cyclists on the main Cork to Little Island route, road which simultaneously shared with the main Dublin to Cork road just seemed a little bit optimistic to me.

We'll see in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I guarantee you it'll still be much faster than the old interchange. The actual traffic counts are buried in the pre-history of this thread, and those figures showed that M8S-N8W was the lowest volume by a good amount.

In the longer term, when N40 North Ring is constructed, this movement will carry even less traffic, as a lot of eastbound traffic will instead leave onto N40 at the junction by Glanmire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yeah, I acknowledged that the traffic volumes are higher on the other movements. But I think it’s fair to say that the route via Tivoli, Silversprings, and on along the quay would be perceived by most non-road nerds as the main road into “Cork” from Dublin. So for that movement to be convoluted will feel like a mistake to many (or that they have made a mistake driving).

Regarding your point about the N40 North Ring further reducing demand, that may be true. But I would counter by saying that the Gateway Bridge from the Skew Bridge to Centre Park Road will serve to increase traffic going west from the new interchange.

I’m always stunned that N25 West to M8 North has more traffic. The slip down onto the roundabout to take the M8 is always empty.

Do you mean "has more traffic than M8 to City"?

Many are rat-running at present! Many cars avoid Dunkettle daily. You see them coming through Watergrasshill in the morning, and also coming off the M8 at Sallybrook/Killylough junction. People from Fermoy/Watergrasshill/Mitchelstown directions avoid Dunkettle by rat running through Glanmire.

Strongly agree with this. I think that new bridge idea is crazy. A new high-density urban area with the primary city access road through the heart of it? Almost unbelievable.

As I say above, I believe those traffic counts were artificially low due to large volumes of current rat-running. The M8 is supposed to bypass Glanmire, but it's now feeding traffic directly into and through Glanmire. That feels like a terrible mistake, to me, and the Dunkettle "loop" design will exacerbate the issue. An N40 North is needed to resolve the issue of anyone from Dublin wanting to access the Northside, and also for anyone wanting to bypass the city to/from the N/M20. Unfortunately it will likely be a long way off

More from Dronehawk, more a video time-lapse of area south of n25w

• Advertisement

New video has a great view of the progress made on the City to Tunnel loop.

Advertisement