Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody here get dentistry done in UCC Dentist School?

• 07-03-2023 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

One of my molars is in bits.

I want to extract it for a cost of €110. Dentist is recommending a root canal and crown. Costs about €1,200 yoyo.

I see it costs about 60% less in the UCC dentistry school if you agree to be a guinea pig. I'll have hungover students clattering around in my teeth for hours, but supervised by an actual dentist.

I think I'll give it a shot.

Has anybody been there? Bonus points if you actually got a crown done.

Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

When you say it's in bits, what is wrong with it?

I wonder if you would get more answers on the Boards dentistry forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

I still have fillings and 3 crowns from the UCC dentistry school from the 70's done by a student , at this stage they will out last me , It wasn't even up in UCC then , it was by the old north infirmary .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Had a fairly chunky filling that fell out, with bits of teeth too. Happened when I was eating crisps.

Now it's causing a massive tooth ache, which in turn is causing migraines. I want this thing yanked out. It's the molar just after the wisdom tooth. Currently on antibiotics and painkillers.

Didn't know there was a dentistry forum. Will check it out. Hopefully it's not a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Interesting. To be fair to them I heard it's more experienced students doing it, not first years anyway. I just couldn't spend €1,200 on a tooth I couldn't give a **** about. Have all my other teeth.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A friend of mine did a filling for me back in 2005 when we were students. I still have it. The same guy couldn't tie a tie at the time! Work will be supervised by a fully qualified dentist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I know things will have have changed since my days. In my teens (1990ish) I went there as my mums friend was a dental nurse up there and told her they were looking for cheap volunteers. I went there for many many weeks. It was horrendous. I now have a mouthful of fucked up teeth, am afraid to go to the dentist and when I eventually have to its going to cost the bones of 15-20k to get even someway sorted.

Things will have improved hugely in that time i know but my advice is don't scrimp on your dental health. Its not worth it. Its a major regret in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

I had a lot of work done around the state dentists and up to the CUH also. The student stuff was supervised by a Professor and you are given the choice whether you agree or not to the work being done by a trainee.

Advertisement