Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

NI

how is it NIMBYism (do you understand the word) I don't live in Dublin so its not my back yard. Why should the general public be expected to pay more for parking while the people making the decision get their parking for free ??? So if the greens are being serious about congestion and CO2 emissions they should start with the Dail and all politicians regarding parking and driving a car. Will that happen?? Not a chance not while Eamo is taking the absolute p1ss heading off on a jollies to Hongkong when this meeting could of been done via zoom. There is absolutely zero benefit of him flying there yet he is going anyways and then he wants to put the foot on the neck of people who have to drive to work in Dublin. It really is a case of do as I say and not do what I do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

100 million handed spent by the Dept of Social Protection alone on these hubs to May 2022.

Ms Humphreys said: “If Covid-19 has taught us one thing – it’s that the benefits of remote working are huge.

“Less time spent commuting. A lower carbon footprint. More time spent with family and friends. But above all – a better quality of life.

“My department has invested €100 million in the development of remote working facilities in our towns and villages nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

NIMBYism in its wider sense is when someone wants a public policy to negatively affect others than themselves.

Your stance on public servants is a clear example of it.

As for taking away free spaces for Gardai, do you want Gardai to be getting the same bus home as the fella they arrested six hours earlier?

You've said that employers pay more generally in taxes, and implied should be able to dictate policy on wfh.

I'm saying that in terms of bearing the cost of climate change employees pay proportionally more.

Whether that's in terms of a direct tax, indirect tax, or cost, such as home retrofitting, doesn't matter to me if it's affecting what little is left at the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Eh the wider sense it stands for Not In My Back Yard so its not really applicable to what we are arguing about. As for the gardai should they not all be running or cycling at this stage :) ye know for the good of the planet. The issue is if we get a congestion charge or increased parking fees and people don't pay it and there will be a lot of people who will not be able to afford to pay it and those who will refuse to pay an additional tax on work and the gardai will be asked to arrest those who don't pay at some stage during the process so they are in a position of power - ergo they should lead from the front and pay for their parking spots. They dont need to take the bus if they dont want to but some kind of BIK on their parking would suffice

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Advertisement

• Honestly I was mostly being facetious! I wasn’t implying that at all. More or less just a comment on the government being more likely to please employers above employees (eg the “living wage” not being min wage, WFH not being an outright rule for employees but the right to “request” etc)

My gut feeling is that this policy would save some c02 emissions but at a very high cost.

When fuel was coming in at 2 euros a liter I think people cut back a bit on social and weekend trips.

Without an alternative they still had to fork out for the commute, and that's what'll happen here.

Apologies if I took you up wrong.

I think there are people that would make the argument I was assigning to you and I was chomping at the bit!

• I don’t know how to feel about WFH tbh since it’s sort of the topic at the moment.

I can’t anyway cos I’m a chef it would be quiet difficult but at the same time I think 5 days a week WFH would be boring and sort of depressing?

But that said I can’t do it & even then I don’t have a fierce commute (25-30 mins each way or thereabouts), I’d prob sing a different tune if it was an hour or so each way

I’d definitely sing a different tune if I still took the bus.. 😂

If people were using these remote hubs, at a cost of up to 600 euro a month, would FFG be taking about incentivizing and subsidizing their use?

Another white elephant at the taxpayers expense.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40813056.html

• Advertisement

It's been a gamer changer for me but I appreciate not every profession would lend itself to it.

I can't imagine the expense these days if I was back to my old 100km car round trip. I'm afraid that cost will remain for those that can't wfh if they bring in these charges.

The mess they've made of those remote hubs gets me raging though. I'd love to get out to work from the local town for even a day or two, but the cost is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You really have a sh1te attitude. Rural splendour indeed. Some chip on your shoulder. Your attitude is that rural Ireland can go fcuk themselves.

You seem to forget us rural folk pay taxes too. Taxes that are used to pay for public transport/services in the cities. I realise every rural house can't have a train/bus connection but it's not much to expect to receive some public services in rural Ireland. And given that a car is a necessity when you live in rural Ireland, if we aren't going to get public transport, at least don't tax the sh1te out of us just because of where we live. And it's not always a choice either. My family has lived in their house for the last 70 years. For the 50 years before that, they lived in a house 100 yards away. It's normal for people to want to live near their family support network.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You seem to forget us rural folk pay taxes too. Taxes that are used to pay for public transport/services in the cities.

IIRC, only 6 of the 26 counties are a net payer into the tax coffers. 20 counties cost more to run than they generate. provision of pretty much all basic services costs more in rural areas than it does in urban areas, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's a remarkably round figure - exactly 2500 for the year? Are you sure that's the exact exact figure now?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And that is exactly my point.

People want the benefits of living in a rural location, but they want the rest of us to pay for it.

Are you seriously expecting the government to provide office facilities to private businesses free of charge? Do you want the State to provide their coffee and lunch and wipe their arses for them too? An hour ago you were complaining that there was 'nothing happening' and in the last hour, you've decided that it's a huge white elephant with Denis involved somehow. You don't have much credibility here.

You're right, but these measures are part of that infrastructure. We won't have decent bus services until we prioritise space for buses over private cars and delivery vans and trucks.

You talking to your work colleagues isn't exactly a sound basis for damning a national policy. I spoke to a director in a pharma firm last week who was renting space in a WeWork building for a couple of days week at her own expense because she needed a bit of company during the day.

So some people are using them, even if you haven't met them yet.

You're demanding that others produce EXACT figures while you come up with back-of-the-envelope calculations. That's a bit hypocritical, isn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting - i do 12k km per year in an octavia, and based on the back of the envelope calculations i've done, it emits under 1.5 tons of CO2 per annum; i know my usage is below average though - which seems to have been just under 17k km in 2019.

anyway, rather aptly, i just drove across and back dubin city centre today, return leg at rush hour, for the first time in many months. i was surprised the traffic wasn't heavier - i did the outbound trip (7.2km) in ~35 minutes, and the return leg in 45-50 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

"@AndrewJRenko You're right, but these measures are part of that infrastructure. We won't have decent bus services until we prioritise space for buses over private cars and delivery vans and trucks."

And what's the excuse for the lack of investment in rail services, metro, all the other luas lines that have ever been envisaged?

We also don't need to prioritise space for buses over private cars or trucks etc to improve the bus service. Some of the issues with the bus service in Dublin could be improved without any change in road space. Its not private cars or trucks that prevent the first bus on a Sunday morning operating before 8:30am as one example.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected.

If you want to classify throwing wads of public money at private developers, to no tangible benefit, under the auspices of social protection no less, as doing something...

Then they've done a bloomin fine job. Here, here!

As for your friend, the pharma director, they can probably afford what these cost.

Only if they were affordable, could they be part of bringing about the broad shift away from commuting, which was supposed to be the point.

Otherwise it's just another FFG waste. And one with a further opportunity cost if these taxes are introduced in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

More and more money being thrown around left right and center, more taxes, more charges.

And what is it producing or creating?

Housing crisis has never been healthier, severe waiting lists in hospitals, apparently that eviction ban is going to put another cohort of people on the streets, public transport varies between sardine cans and non-existent, not enough this, not enough that, too much of this, too much of that.

Is there a giant hole somewhere that's getting filled with all the supposed riches we have?

Then out the other side of the mouth there can't be free public transport, state that it is, because it would result in unnecessary journeys?

So what's the point of this tax then if its going into the magical hole?

None of this adds up. If an inanimate tin of peas was put in charge of the country it would be more successful.

The country is an embarrassment. Shocking state.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unless the aim of this policy is not help reduce CO2 as is the claim but introduce new taxes for the sake of it, which seems to be the Greens favourite pastime

Please name some taxes that we are paying brought in by the Green party?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The increased BIK on company cars that began on Jan 1.

Thankfully the Government as a whole partially U-turned on that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

"Do you want the State to provide their coffee and lunch and wipe their arses for them too?"

Isn't this the case in many government buildings and departments around the country?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This would be under Section 6 of the Finance Act 2019 so which was enacted well before June 27th 2020 when Ryan and the Greens became part of the current government?

C'mon, try harder! If introducing new taxes is a "favourite pastime" of the Greens, then it should be easy!

I'd also remind you that since entering government, the Greens have not held a finance role which would make it harder to introduce new taxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭reclose

What faux outrage? You were asked some questions back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So I’m planning on going to dublin zoo on at Patrick’s day with the wife and three kids (youngest is 11 months so buggy etc).

Option A is a 21 min drive from Rathfarnham direction which would cost approx €1 in diesel and let’s say insurance servicing etc adds up to another €3 per day- so €4 to get from the house to the zoo (no paid parking in the zoo) in complete comfort and leaving at a time we choose and all lunches, buggy, changing bag other stuff for the kids in the boot.

Option B is a 56 min walk and two busses to get to the zoo while lugging around bags, folding and unfolding a buggy twice, hoping the bus turns up, hoping the bus has room for us, keeping an eye on three kids on PT, paying for two adults and two kids (baby would be free I’d imagine?) which would cost €8 each way I think?

Then repeating all that on the way home when everyone’s tired from walking around the zoo all day and we’ve a wrecked tired 11 month old screaming the bus down.

Yeah…….think I’ll go with option A!

• Advertisement

Advertisement