Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Absolutely, fairest way. What happens if only 10 out of 100 are in class 1 ?

A 1 in 10 chance of winning where the other two classes are 1 in 45 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Mine too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've no issue with an uneven distribution of cat if it represents the proportion of people in that category.

Would be a great target for say people in a lower category to get up a division. Like any sports celebrate improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

11 .. Div 1

35 .. Div 2

30.. Div 3

Last Friday Singles split.

I have had this twice.

1st guy genuine basket case .

Struggled to reach par 4s in 3.

2nd. Hook.

Played out of my skin.

47 pts off my own.

Got taken out on 2nd extra.

Par 5s were in range just poor chipping okay putting.

At best he should have 18...20 h/cap. Not 33.ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

47 points? Sounds like there were two hooks in that match 🙄

That really makes no sense. What competition software does the club use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No such thing as categories anymore. Categories were a fixed handicap range but really only used for calculating handicap cuts. Eg class 1 was cut .1 per shot better than CSS and class 2 was cut .2 per shot etc etc

Class groupings have been around for as long as I remember and have always been fluid depending on the spread of the competition entry’s. Very odd to see that some clubs fix their ranges, it makes no logical sense.

• Advertisement

Sorry ...I am aware of that and class 1 / division 1 is what I intended...

Again ...I'm am outlier in these debates (if not as much as I expected, with the introduction of WHS) .

But I would also enjoy a fixed position for a division, get to this standard and you are in division 1 or whatever...and I'd even enjoy them more if they were more aligned to old Cat numbers...I never felt aligned to golfers in Cat 1 , it was clear they were another level and should be competing against each other.

It is interesting that at this very moment the pro game is changing and is tiering at the highest level.

Again .. I just prefer sport that is categorised and celebrates excellence versus handicapping...even if I'm not particularly good...I wouldn't enjoy winning anything if I wasn't good..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

A lot of clubs seem to do categories for comps now and I think it'll become the standard going forward, or I hope it does anyway. I don't see how they'll keep players interested otherwise. I agree with you for the most part but there are a lot of genuine players who would be annoyed about not being considered a level playing field to lower handicaps and I can see that view as well. Problem with that fixed division concept I can see, wasn't there some stat about if you get to single digits you are in the top 10% of golfers or something like that? How many players are motivated by getting down to that level? A lot that I come across seem to want to play golf at the weekend during the summer and thats that so I'd wonder if there'd be much movement between the categories. Its an interesting idea though and I do think the longer WHS is around the more clubs will have to do to entice the better players into playing weekly comps outside of majors.

Weekend golfers are absolutely critical to club golf....there would be no clubs without them..But they would be perfectly happy being in division 2 ( I would hope) ...and if your a weekend golfer , you can't expect much more.

I think the problem is ..too many weekend golfers want it all....and WHS is adding to the Weekend Hero System.....

Where is there any satisfaction in winning a prize where you were competing against 9 other players ?? Especially given that there was 60 other players, playing for the other two prizes.

I think your picking a particular extreme example of 9....but I still would have no issue with it...I personally admire gross way over someone winning a captains prize off say 27.

And for many years in some clubs , gross could only be won by a handful...but the wonderful thing about that is , a young guy comes along and takes the person of their perch ...that is what most sports are about...

You've hit the nail on the head with the prizes aspect in club golf ...they have become too big and tempting.

Prizes are fun ...but when they are hitting 70 / 80 / 90 quid + ...they are getting out of hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

It's very hard to argue that he had a crazy handicap if the match went to the 20th hole unless you did too. So you were level after 18 and you reckon he should have had 13-15 shots less? So if all things were fair you'd have beaten him around the 12th? I'd say he was saying the same about you, that he had the round of his life (and if it was 47 points he probably did!) and still lost. And that his opponent must have had a dodgy handicap.

How'd you fare against the other guy you said you shouldn't have been giving as many shots to? Was there an early finish in that match? Or did the handicaps even it out a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

I admit to being slightly out of the loop when it comes to the current system and its mechanics. I'm genuinely surprised at the concept of balancing out the classes/categories/call them what you will. I'm talking about internal club splits, not the old Categories under CONGU. For as long as I can remember they've been fixed in my club, even going back to when I was on competitions maybe 10 years ago. From memory I think ours went something like 0-11, 12-16, 17-21, 22+. Can't remember exactly tbh, but it was something along those lines. Thinking about it a little more, it was probably set up to somewhat balance out the numbers but I don't think it ever changed. In fairness we'd be doing well to have 30 guys in single figures full stop in the club anyway, but we'd regularly have class 1 with 20 entries and maybe 40 entries in class 3 say on a given day. Don't see an issue with that at all tbh.

I'd never heard of balancing until I saw it on here a few posts above and I can see the argument for it alright, even if I don't necessarily agree. Meh, I dunno, it doesn't bother me much either way, but I'd tend towards the argument that if you want to compete in class 1, against possibly fewer (depending on the day) players, then improve. Don't expect to be put in class 1 because only 12 of the better players turned up on Saturday and class 1 needs to be xx number of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

There's lots on this thread I want to reply to. I definitely think my viewpoint is an extreme one. As far as I can see, it's a small minority that are happy to see someone play a dozen times a year, have a handicap of 30 and be allowed to win competitions. I wouldn't mind some restrictions on it like having to have 20 cards in (maybe even in the last 2 years) to be eligible for a win, but by and large I want to see everyone able to compete. For me, everyone being able to compete against each other is core to what a golf club should be. I'm not sure I can think of another sport where this can be the case. Although you could probably do it in running and just give people a headstart. It's a laughable thought, but not much different to the handicap system in golf. But the thought of two people running a 5k race, but one starting 2k into it and beating a 5k runner by a few seconds sounds preposterous. But we're use to the handicap system so that's what we do.

At another extreme, no-one would have handicaps. You'd have to bring in divisions then, but there's an argument to be made for it. It would certainly make golf more like other sports and I think it would be very enjoyable trying to go up the divisions and even for the guys in the bottom half of the top division, it is possible that they'll have their day and the best guys have an off day and they win some week. It would mean that you're never going to play against guys of significantly different ability again though. And at the end of the year when pictures go up of who won the big comps that year, it's going to be from a very small pool of players, with the majority of the club not even competing in them. But if you think of who wins the gross in your club each week - you're probably looking at about half a dozen lads competing for those top prizes. This isn't the way I'd like to see clubs go but I can appreciate the argument for it. And it wouldn't be the worst way.

In the middle is the way we seem to be going where you can play with a handicap but just compete against people in your range. Why? It strikes me as odd that player A can shoot 72 and player B 80 and it's fine that player B can win because of his handicap. But then player C can shoot 85 and it's not okay that he could win because of his handicap? That's effectively what the divisions will be. You'll also have a very odd situation crop up occasionally where a division 2 player has the round of his life and has a better gross score than the division 1 player who won. So one guy will have the best net score in division 1, but a guy in division 2 will have a better gross and net score. So the division 1 guy will win.

I think where my stance is coming from is due to how I actually look at winning in golf comps. Your net score just reflects how much better or worse you played relative to your current own level. In terms of who actually played the best golf, it's simply gross scores that will tell you that. But I really enjoy that golf celebrates when people have a great day by their standards. Ultimately, I think it's nice. There's a strong element of people ignoring the fact that there might have been 20 or 30 better rounds played that day to congratulate the guy who had his best round in a decade. There are loads of scratch cups and scratch interclub comps and gross prizes available to the actual best golfers in clubs and there always has been. What I don't want to see taken away is the Sunday comp from the majority of members. And if divisions take centre stage, it will do this.

For me the real competitive side of golf is internal anyway. It's mainly my handicap, because that tells you how you're actually playing. I make excuses about my club not being suited to me (and there is some truth to it) but at the end of the day, golf is almost unique as a game in that there's a number that says how good you are. And hearing about people who hit the ball a long way or have a great short game or whatever - it's all just noise. If the question is how good is a golfer, his handicap is the answer.

I think Fix mentioned prizes too - I'd love to see them drastically reduced in monetary value. They're absolutely insane. A token prize to say well done should be plenty. Maybe a box of balls or something as a top prize, but other than that I think Kris Kindle value presents would be perfect. A hat or a sleeve of proV1s should be perfectly fine. Getting a pair of golf shoes for finishing third is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would be of the same thinking re categories, classes, divisions etc.

If there were less players in the top division, I would only really see that as a positive.

One, it's rewards their greater ability... I think a valid argument could be also be made that, in general, these guys are likely have put in a lot more work than on their game so it's a reward for that as well.

An added advantage of it being "easier" to win Div 1 would be that it might actually result in promoting the overall lowering of handicaps. Would a "comfortable 12-14 HC golfer" put in more work/decide to get into single figures.

• Advertisement

I'd largely agree with that. I'm not sure the argument of competing against fewer players in class 1 means its easier to win stands up fully (it may well do though under WHS with h/cs being reflective of "form" rather than ability as such). I know it should be easier to beat 12 guys than beat 40 but by and large these lower guys will be better players and almost by definition, more consistent. Prior to WHS I'd guess that half the field teed it up with no real world chance at all of winning. That said, in theory WHS should balance some of that out, as h/c is supposedly more current.

BN, I think with regard to your 4th paragraph re golf celebrating when people have a great day, that will largely remain the same thankfully. I mean since time began low handicappers have complained about something, high guys have complained about low guys always complaining and everyone knew who the 5 or 6 real bandits in their club were. I can't really see that changing. Most will know when someone shoots 43pts if he's had an amazing day or if he's one of those 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I just prefer sport that is categorised and celebrates excellence versus handicapping

well maybe golf is not the sport for you 🤣

Fact is that golf is a handicapped sport and it is not going to change anytime soon. IMO it is what makes it a great game that all walks of life can compete in against each other. The only real problem is that the handicapping system is terrible in its current format.

Captains prize is the biggest competition in the EVERY club. If it was not something the whole club can compete for, it would be a nothing event. It has prestige, but it was never meant to showcase the best golfer in the club. NEVER. That is the club championship and most clubs have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭KevH1984

I'm the comp sec in my own club for my sins. We have always had class/category prizes for every singles run throughout our main season to supplement first prize etc. We have set category limits and I find it works very well for us, not one person has ever complained that there is less players in Class A v Class C etc. The top handicap index for Class A for our club is 9.4, so a single figure golfer in everyone's language. Speaking to a lot of lads in the club just above single figures they take motivation in trying to achieve Class A as they know if they do then they will have achieved single figure status. We would regularly have 30-40 in Class A weekly however much higher numbers in our other 3 categories. Our prize structure usually runs 1st, 2nd, Gross, Class A-D which gives everyone a fair chance of competing for multiple prizes across our competition if they play the golf to be in contention. We think this is a pretty fair system for all and we haven't seen any drop off in competition numbers since WHS came in, in fact the opposite may be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Not both. I did and got beat.

I know the other lad very well for years. He is a very casual golfer and holds his jammy h/cap for his casual golf with buddies. Unashamedly so. He is not a 31 hcap.

Rarely plays 18 hole comps no interest in prizes per se. Got a nice bump in hcap under WHS.

Our match was a society matchplay.

I play a lot of golf over 50 counting rounds last year , played through the winter comps/society and casual also.

47pts means I break 80 which is where I aspire to be with my golf. Lowest index 9.0 , currently 12.3 That feat only been breached on 4 occasions in recent years under whs.

My index has slipped out last year. Surgery. It will be reducing again this year as I have recovered and my game is coming around again. I didn't receive a notification of index adjustment from the recent review at my club. Ie My comp scores didn't merit it this winter.

I am trying to play the best I can.

I love competition, fair competition. Whs is destroying it. Maybe the manner in which it is applied would be more accurate.

Interclub comps are debased now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I do think it goes too far towards making golf equitable. Yes, the handicap system is a great concept, but it doesn't work well in its current guise in a lot of situations.

Join a club today having never played, after 3 rounds suddenly a handicap of 43. Round 4, shoot 33 over, 46 points, win a competition.

You shouldn't be competitive within 4 times of playing any new sport never mind winning competitions.

Above is an actual example from my club from last year.

It feels like it's trying to embrace inclusion and expand the base of new golfers whilst frustrating and alienating your existing base

This is an absolutely mental story. I think it was mentioned earlier on - that the culture around competition golf in Ireland is very different in Ireland versus other parts of the world - and we take it serious - too serious in all likelihood. But if you have people coming into clubs - and winning big events like above , it will be a disaster for club golf.

WHS in theory is a good system - but it is designed for a more fun interaction around golf. This is probably right in some regard , but Irish people like their competitions to be somewhat serious -

Anyway - unless GI intend to change a few things - or just exit system altogether. You are kind of only frustrating yourself thinking about it too much.

I think Seve is right - golf is just not for me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

My WHS is 6.9 and the vast majority of times that makes me a Division 1 player in my weekly club competitions which are split into 4 divisions.

If the competition was not split into divisions then I would not play in them. Simple as that. I am competing against other division 1 players and I like that.

The Captains and Presidents are not split into divisions and I just don't bother playing in them.

The Captains is singles stroke play followed by a nine hole stroke play play-off.

High handicappers get their shots over 18 holes and get half as much again in the play-off.

One bandit serial winner says its the easiest competition of the lot to win. Complete joke.

The Presidents is singles stableford. Usually 45-47 points wins it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

@FixdePitchmark The Vauxhall Conference should always have as much chance, if not more than most of winning the European Cup!

Our club has just changed from 1st to 4th overall, plus 4 division winners to overall, best gross and 1st and 2nd in the four divisions. This is for comps with over 100. Our divisions are always balanced so you are often in different divisions depending on the numbers.

I like the the idea of division 1 being just for single figure golfers. I would be very motivated to get promoted through the divisions in that scenario.

As you said though Fix it's the causal weekend golfer who keeps these clubs open. Pleasing the minority in each club, whose main sport, or only source of competition is golf is never going to happen. There's also a proportion of players in each club who pay their sub but can't play as often as they'd like, either due to work, family, or other commitments. They pay their sub partly because on one of the handful of times they get out they might have a great score and win a big one. Without this opportunity maybe they let their subs lapse.

The new system is maybe putting too much pressure or onus on handicap secretaries to cut guys during non-counting. I'm getting a bit of stick in our club at the moment and they're saying the handicap secretary is too nice to cut people when they need to be. I'm still expecting a two shot cut and I'll deserve it. But these guys are volunteering their time, is it really practical for them to be all across 500+ members and their scores. Software can obviously help here.

I always feel a bit weird winning something when I could have taken numerous shots more than another guy playing in the same competition. Having said that I'm still happy to have played well according to my handicap and don't track down the better golfer to give him my prize!

Something has to be done about the max handicap for able bodied newcomers though, 24 is plenty to begin with. Everyone needs to get their heads around WHS being more your current average ability rather than your potential. And in this scenario you'll have to beat your average by a fair bit to be in the hunt for a prize.

@PARlance I agree that those who spend time on their game should be rewarded and that there should always be a gross prize in every comp.

@blue note Your hypothetical would never happen because their should always be a gross prize.

Advertisement