Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Great news, if its snow with such light ppn it really does bode well later when the heavier stuff gets going

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

One time the rag media, print and online click bait, used bother me. Mostly for the elderly and more vulnerable.

Now I treat them with the contempt they deserve. It's a given they'll pick an outlier extreme chart. -2c in Cork is attributed to the recent SSW and Global Warming!

Hyped weather headlines in Ireland sell...maybe more than sex😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Had a good close look at satellite animation on the systems in play and cannot see much potential for a north or south shift happening, the precip almost always orients a bit further north than model guidance so would say it is game on for a snowfall of widespread proportions on Thursday, with intermittent opening salvos tonight and Wed from the very slowly advancing frontal zone across west Munster. That will be elevation-dependent at first.

Given the reasonable intensity of cold air ahead of this, and factoring in coastal modification, would expect the GFS numerical guidance to verify fairly well at this point but might tweak it a bit further north in Donegal and NI for the later Thursday developments.

Those very low temps depicted for Friday morning evidently assume snow cover followed by clearing skies in Connacht. I would maybe modify that slightly by about 2 deg based on the suspicion that it stays mostly cloudy in the northeast flow.

At this point I am not buying into much delay on weekend warmup. Next system is pushing much further north, thickness support for cold weakens steadily past midnight Friday.

Even where precip is mixed Thursday, roads could become icy. Foresee a major disruptive effect away from perhaps metro Dublin and some parts of southeast, south coast. 15-25 cm snow (to Thursday night) over some parts of Connacht and south Ulster, north midlands. 5-15 cm parts of west Munster and south midlands, higher southeast. 2-5 cm inland southeast, Kildare-Meath and higher parts of south Dublin. Mixed sleety falls around coast from Bray to Wexford to Cork.

Nothing much is changing except perhaps the confidence level going from moderate to high now that model consensus is good and all current indications on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lightest of flakes here in the bishopstown area of cork city too, very very small... For now hopefully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

South and southwestern areas current interpretation from NWTV. Seems like snow in over northern Cork County, some heavy returns in the border area with Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Kerry mountains will have a nice cover by dawn by looks of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is too good to be true, the pub run.

Could well be a big sober up by the morning. Away from the south coast this is a nationwide snow event.

It always seems to be that section of the south coast that misses the snow in 95% of the events, that semi circle sector. Is there a particular reason for that? I've researched it and the only conclusion I could get is winds, but I'm not sure that's right!

Don't worry the South coast will be well sick of snow by Thursday lol 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,298 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Oh this gave me a much needed laugh 😂. something similar happened to myself and my husband at a rugby game , after the game once we had left the the oppositions fans my husband was still bigging up the opposition team , turns out he genuinely forgot he was supporting the other side , I still laugh about it now and rather then admit it he says he supports EVERY team 🤣

back on topic I’m praying for snow in county Waterford tonight , kids are driving me mad with their window watching , one of them is to lazy to get up every few minutes so he’s checking the ring door bell app instead .. kids are geniuses 😂 why didn’t I think of that 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My guess is that the sea is what causes that with dew points too high and temperatures that little bit too marginal. It's the same thing here in Meath and Dublin it's the Irish sea that usually causes us to experience cold rain or sleet instead of snow 40km in from the coast.

These slider low events usually have an east or south-east wind with them dragging milder air into coastal counties than further inland.

I think the south coast could do rather well over the next 24 hours, you have a better chance tonight and into tomorrow over Thursday/Friday.

I wonder is there anyone based in Kerry/ North Cork? Curious to know is it snowing around there or indeed raining..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭squonk

Brother in Timoleague tells me it’s raining there if that’s off any use

Many thanks, just as I figured close to the coast likely to see rain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking forward to seeing the mountains tomorrow morning.

2.4C here near Tralee in the Lee of the Slieve Mish

Yeah has become very mixed here, changing from rain to light snow and back

Any snow is a great sign before the heavier stuff moves in. My prediction is a very marginal set up with the city getting rain and places like Watergrasshill getting snow. I'd say most places will be wet rather than white in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork Airport reporting Light Sleet at 11pm with the temperature 2 and dew point -1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Ya a sleet mix here ...east of cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sleety mix in Cork is OK tbh. There is such a thing as evaporative cooling which means that eventually the sleet cools the air so much that it starts to fall as snow. If the precipitation continues for a good few hours I fancy our chances of it turning to snow. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I don't know lads but to be honest can't see anything but slush down South anyway. Just too marginal and weak for anything to stick around. As for later in the week who knows but north of galway to Dublin in with a good shout of lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cfresident

Why do you maintain that Dublin doesn’t get snow? Dublin is quite varied in geography and quite often gets snow. I had snow on the ills behind my house this morning (a tiny amount). Dublin often gets snow.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/snowstorms-through-the-centuries-a-history-of-irish-cold-snaps-1.3406525

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Even a cold rain can do that if the fundamentals are in place.

The biggest enemy in the next few days is solar radiation.

I was referring more towards frontal snow from the Atlantic. I disagree that Dublin often gets snow, a few parts can get lucky such as Portmarnock a few years ago and south Dublin earlier in December. Much of Dublin county has not seen anything more than a dusting or 2 since 2018 with south Dublin having a bit of extra luck compared to North Dublin. I did not hear any reports of snow in Dublin this morning or anytime today as it was largely sunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Dazler97

As a dubliner myself who lives in the northwest now ,yes Dublin does get snow but if its coming in from the east for example the very coast will typically get sleet and or hail although there is times it is snow ❄️, if its coming in from south the mountains will get it surrounding areas but closer to the city centre there's heat traffic etc so it may not stick. The very coast always pays a price even in summer as then you have the sea breeze

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just my thoughts :Going through the charts tonight and kinda thinking the ECM is a bit of an outlier, rowed back a bit too quick on snow totals and accumulation of precipitation in general . GFS is near perfect with the track of the LP and cold quickly getting drawn in behind as it transits the country.

ARPEGE showing very cold 850hPa temps and to note it is showing some very high precipitation totals falling in various states, heaviest in Munster and would have to think much of it falling as sleet and perhaps more so as snow inland giving some big accumulations down to sea level. Can see the projected temps staying close to 0C during the snow fall. This run would keep the heaviest falls to Munster, Connaught and Leinster but also getting substantial falls in the N and NE.

To note tight gradient giving some strong winds also for a time especially in the SW, maybe getting up to warning level and giving some savage Windchill.

So could get some driving snow conditions across the country Thurs evening.

Skies set to clear once the weather goes through later Thurs night/ early Fri Morning so preserving much of the snow till morning, temps set to go up to 5 or 6C on Fri so a thaw would set in would think (maybe snow remaining until Sat on hilly terrain and probably some where there was big falls) before freezing again Fri night/ Sat morning.

ARPEGE at odds with the GFS where and how much precipitation is going to fall. ECM 18Z out later will see if it rows back a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

All aboard!! ❄️ sure come on, one last hurrah 😃

• Advertisement

WRF a good chart nearer the event.

Not as heavy precipitation as ARPEGE, not as strong winds but still quite windy especially in the E, SE later.

Showing some very cold temperatures over where it is predicting the heaviest snow fields I would imagine.

A bit to go yet with the models for more accuracy at this late stage. Could be some big accumulations into Fri morning I would think. Models should hopefully give a better idea tomorrow where will get the heaviest snowfall. All in all a fairly big event from early Thurs morning until late Thurs night / early Fri morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement