Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Turning to wet snow now in Cork city south suburbs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

March 9th 2022, started as sleet about 10am and quickly turned to snow, pelted down until about 530 pm, about 5 inches lying, heaviest snowfall in 4 yrs but there was nothing but rain 20 miles away, SE Tipp 150m...March 9th 2023?? So many posts saying no real snowfall since 2018 but the intensity and duration of what fell here exactly 1 year ago was mad, if it was a bit colder i don't know what depth it would have been, Callan 10 miles away had 38mm of rain from looking at historical charts on the same day on March 9th 2022. Funnily enough also had snowcover here on Jan7th 2021 and Jan 7th 2022.

May have jumped gun on seeing some flakes mixed in...

When you are wishing for it objectivity goes out the window. I know Munster Legend is very likely correct that there will be no lying snow down here by the morning but then the hope takes over and....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 18Z is out and giving widespread heavy snow on Thurs through N Munster, Connaught and Leinster and the NE on this run and snow slow enough to melt on Fri by the looks of it. Very cold Fri morning especially over snow fields in the W and N, see -7C and widespread -2 to -4C.

Temps remaining quite low over snowfields on Fri only getting up a few degrees, milder in the SW getting up to 6 or 7C, hard frost again early evening getting as low as -4 to -6C or so early Sat morning .

This run not as windy as ARPEGE but quite fresh along coastal areas.

Another front set to move up from the SW late Fri night/ early Sat morning set to bring wintry precipitation, more so as snow further up the country possibly topping up the snowfall already on the ground in places but will have to see how this pans out, bit to go yet and as has been seen plenty of twists and turns.

ECM predicting snow to be still on the ground even on Sat .

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Small bit of sleet here about half way between Blarney and Whitechurch in Co. Cork. Whitechurch is high enough elevation that it will attract snow when it's around.

While the Norwegians are still indicating some snow showers overnight (mostly sleet indicated), I'm not expecting anything to stick. Just doesn't seem cold enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Rathmore cork kerry border. 150 metres asl. Snowing with the last 3 hours or so. Sticking on grass only. 0 degrees at present so may have a covering by morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork Airport reporting light snow and 0°c at 1:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

latest Arome Hires zoom for lying snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭pauldry

There'll be very little lying snow in the Northwest . I'd say that line of cloud currently over Ireland is as far North as the frontal snow will get. Maybe brushing South Sligo before fecking off without touching Donegal. Mayo and Galway will do best in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

-7 Castlederg

-5 magilligan

3c casement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

NE kicked in here, temps shot up to 3.8 here in coastal SE Dublin. Share some pics inlanders please when the snow arrives.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I was expecting a severe frost this morning but it is 2c and no frost in Naas.

Could of stayed in bed for another 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

My drive this morning, Kanturk to Cork road! Not much sticking near me but as I got higher it was at least 3-4cm on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Light snow shower in D15

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MaDoMiAiRi

West Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

It seems all the heavy hitters here are expecting some sort of decent snow over next 48 hours. 2 questions:

1) What levels or warning are expecting from ME?

2) Are school closures a possibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Snowing lightly in tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A bit of light snow falling around Cork, dandruff really. With uppers due to drop a fraction this afternoon and a period of heavier ppn due around 3pm better chances then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There's a flurry in New Ross at the moment. Very light but still nice to see.

Not a flake stuck here in Cork city. Hours and hours of sleet and really wet snow. I see on the radar that the front is now north of me - that wasn't supposed to happen. Is it falling as snow in the places the front is now lying over? You'd think it would but there's no one reporting anything here....

Might be a good guide for Thursday. This system went much further North than forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Netweather radar always seems to show precip further north than it actually is though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very light snow now in Cork city. Judging by some cars, those with a bit of extra altitude did quite well last night.

Maybe you are right but two great chances have slipped by the last two nights. Optimism crushed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

People are (rightly) saying how the strength in the sun will melt snow rapidly, but a much bigger factor is actually soil temperatures, which are well above normal for the time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any reports from Wicklow - Roundwood, Blessington, Rathdrum, radar shows you should have been getting some white gold overnight?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,884 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Woke up to a white scene this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MaDoMiAiRi

Dust like snow blowing around here west Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,884 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

North Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Gerry on radio talking about rain sleet and snow pushing up across the country from the SW tomorrow day and widespread......!!! Also mentioned some on Saturday too......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement