Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

First snow flakes in Waterford since January 21, low dew points doing the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,884 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Spring has sprung

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

—-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cfresident

yesterday morning there was snow behind my house in south Dublin.

I think maybe your definition of county Dublin is referring to the north of the county. Tallaght, Rathfarnham, Brittas, and south county Dublin get plenty of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Zero snow, zero ice, zero frost in Kildare this morning.

If anything it seems warmer today than earlier in the week. Long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snow from the same weather system here in Brussels this morning! Rain is expected to wash it all away later today, have to enjoy any late winter snow you can get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

One more sleep and game on!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭pauldry

Tomorrow evening. Snow not as heavy as previous forecast and a bit further North.

Met Office on you tube had it even further North and sleet only in most of Republic. Until tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Summer here 😆

Ben Bulben is the one on the far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Right I'm lost, Met Eireann infographic says dry all day for Carlow

Weather guy on Radio this morning said snow coming up from the South reaching us by afternoon.

Does anyone know what's really going on ????

What if you had travel plans

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Is tomorrow a downgrade so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,779 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I always cross check the infographic with the narrative from my area eg for Leinster today it has:

Very cold this morning with frost and icy stretches. Much of Leinster will be dry today with a fair amount of cloud and some sunny intervals, the best of these in the north of the province. This afternoon and evening, outbreaks of rain, sleet and light snow will affect parts of south and southeast Leinster, the snow mainly on high ground. Highest temperatures of 2 to 4 degrees with moderate to fresh easterly winds.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Best to ignore these automatic forecasts IMO, they change on the hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HoddleGod

No snow in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Snowing in Kilkenny now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

It's snowing in Drogheda at the moment!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cork Airport reporting light snow at 0900 and 1c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

06Z GFS HAS SNOW PUSHING BACK DOWN ACROSS THE COUNTRY BY LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Scarr clear this morning (had a dusting yesterday morning!). Didn't look like any precipitation last night near Roundwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

BITTERLY COLD THURSDAY NIGHT/FRIDAY MORNING -9's, -10's, -11's popping up on the charts

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Getting snow in this country is a bitch. Even when you do, you forget there are lots of types of snow and not all stick! Yesterday I posted loads of charts from hi res models showing snow in south Munster. Met E had a yellow warning for the same area for snow and ice. What could go wrong?

In fact, now that I look at the weather reports issued by Cork airport last night, those predictions were, technically anyway, correct. See the table below of reports issued by Cork airport from midnight to 9am. If you had shown me that table last night at 9pm I would have jumped around the room, assured the kids they were getting a snow day and ran out to the shops to buy salt. The report shows rain / snow (sleet essentially) for most of the night but just snow from 1.30am to 4.30am. It is also showing snow from 8.30am to 9.30am. I was awake for a period at 4am. I live near cork airport (a little lower down admittedly). I was obviously awake from 8.30am to 9.30am. There was the odd swirling tiny flake in amongst sleet but.... alas, not a flake stuck. It was a sleety mix with cold rain and very wet snow all night in truth. Lots fell, it would have translated into a decent depth, but alas, as I say, not a flake stuck.

Bit of a cautionary tale. Just because the weather models show white hatching or pink over your area, it doesn't mean it will "snow" in the sense we really mean. To be fair, Met E's yellow warning didn't mention accumulations. Maybe that's the word to look out for. And to be fair accumulations are mentioned for the northern half of the country tomorrow.

Alas I think this event is over for us down south. We will always have our memories of the snow that technically fell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Packrat

A dusting on the Cahas here in Kenmare/Beara. Hopefully we'll miss the rest of the white shyte tomorrow and Friday.

I love living here.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Wow, wasn't expecting snow today, heavy now and sticking in kells area. How is dunshaughlin Gonzo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Feck sake I’m planning on putting up a polytunnel and planting my veg seeds in the garden on Saturday…

This is all messing up our already relatively short growing season 😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,861 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

For Dub land looking like a sleet/snow mix first half of tomorrow, transition more to rain in the afternoon and then turning to snow again tomorrow evening...and that is when appreciable accumulations may occur. Not ruling accumulations in the morning. A few kms inland will make a lot of difference here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement