Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

None noticed after a month's ownership - by all accounts that fault was diagnosed early on in UK and a new part sent to thos affected, so I'd say any new build has the better part in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Thought this was a very interesting video on the inner workings of the MG4.

He looks at the different battery chemical options to chose from amongst other things.

Found a nice little feature - I'm sure you'll all say 'we knew that!' - but there's a control screen accessible by dragging down top left or right corners of main screen, with one option being 'Screen off'

This turns off the main screen except for a nice clock (you can toggle this off in options). Handy feature if you're driving at night and find the main screen too bright. Any tap to screen brings it back to life

Edit: just found out, screen stays off when you go into reverse, so no cameras until you wake it up

Post edited by Patser on

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

How are folks tracking the delivery time of their cars? I've paid the deposit but didn't receive any email or anything which would allow tracking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We cancelled the MG4 and ordered a Tesla.

Much the same reasons as yourself.

MG4 issues are real and vast. Quality control with MG seems to be non existent.

Now maybe there are quality control issues with other manufacturers but MG are on a level all of their own.

I really feel these cars are going to get such a bad reputation that the value will plummet. MG already refusing to fix very common problems under warranty too which tells me that they are overwhelmed with recalls. See the groups on facebook. You get a few people clearly worried about the resale value and reputation of their cars trying to tell everyone that all manufacturers are that bad. But even they are seeing clearly what happening now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

I really like the MG4 and I know there are many very happy owners to counter balance the unfortunate buyers. I joined some of the FB groups today and the complaints are definitely in the minority but they do exist... it's a difficult one to decide.

I'll watch the Tesla investor presentation tonight to see if they announce their new hatchback and then make some decisions. Do you have a delivery date for your M3/MY?

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭horse7

What is the on the road price for each model?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

Excite

From

Standard Range

€28,345

Long Range

€31,845

Exclusive

From

Long Range

€35,345

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Does that include dealer delivery, taxes etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

that's the prices as-is since they were announced. All in.

the only exception is colour choices - you'll see there's an extra charge on the MG website for some colours (€900 as standard).

Other add-ons are:

• tow-bar. Currently being told by a dealer it'll be €1500 and it's undergoing testing before release. Ouch on the price: does anyone know better prices to get one installed? (I'm looking to only carry bikes, not tow anything)
    • roof bars: MG have published images of the roof rails to some European websites, but they haven't been released for sale yet. They're just re-branded Thule bars so they will also hopefully become available at a more sensible price in time.

• Advertisement

I use a bike rack that connects to the boot of the car for carrying bikes, I wouldn't buy a tow bar just for bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭doctorg

Which dealer is giving these prices? Everyone has quoted almost 1K higher prices

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I was going to say, I had been quoted €36,100 for the Exclusive LR in November, I think it had gone up to €36,500 but I've cancelled my order since

Mine came in at less than €36k but that's after I said no to 'paint insurance' and other dealer extras they were adding as part of delivery charges. Although the blue I got was a base colour without premium charge

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭baziled13

I do also, however, we’re adding a cargo/electric bike to our house this year and the additional weight means a tow bar bike rack is the way to go. (Plus allowing you access to the boot as the bike rack can fold out with the bikes on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Was travelling behind one of these (in grey) today for a few Kms. Lovely looking car (from the rear as that is all I could see). First time seeing one in the metal and made a very good impression. Looks much more sporty and premium in comparison to the MG5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭horse7

I don't think these are up to date on the road prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭zg3409

Wait times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Is that if you order now or is that the next expected delivery?

• Advertisement

Picked up my Long-range Excite today (ordered in August - enough said about how the delivery queue is working...).

Initial notes:

• Regen feels stronger than I remember in the early test drives when set to level 3? Has it gotten stronger with software updates, or my memory just failing me? It's still not one-pedal driving but a lot closer than I remember.
    • The battery was at 98% on collection and showing 432km of range. We'll see! although I did see someone on Facebook say they drove to Dublin for the Derry GAA match on Saturday and got there with 33% remaining. That implies 370-380km of range for these cold temps which I'll definitely take.
    • The car came with two charging cables and floor mats.
    • It's still painful/daft some of the items they only give on the Exclusive: software restricting what you can do with the short-cut buttons on the steering wheel, and no storage pockets on the back of the front seats seem bizarre. I'm not paying €3,500 extra for those features and a heated seat/wheel and reversing camera don't swing it for me either. I'm still convinced there should have been just two models: a single short-range (ultra-cheap, bare bones) and a long-range (everything included, with a choice of the spoiler or not).
    • Either my 2005 Mazda 323 is lying about the boot size, or MG are. On paper the Mazda is a smaller boot, in practise, it's the other way around unless you factor in the 'storage space' all the way above the parcel shelf (Which MG have said isn't part of their storage measurements). Pretty typical of EVs but still interesting. I knew what I was getting though so it's fine: 99% of the time, the boot is perfect and I'll put a roof box on the car for the summer holidays
    • Still a fantastic car to drive and very, very comfortable on crap, pot-holed roads.
    • The screen and interface is usable but not amazing. Screen quality is great, interface is so-so. all the usual observations that others have pointed out (Smaller text - but very readable, slightly sluggish at times, etc.)
    • Related to interface, I still can't work out where to turn off the 'intelligent battery heating'. the interface is fairly logical but this is an example of some items not in what I'd call obvious places.
    • Lastly related to interface, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are the way. To avoid having to go back through the main menu, at least you can control the heating from the steering wheel controls also.
    • One new quirk I now know about with the dealer: the rear window demister doesn't fully clear the window as they've put the radio antenna in the back glass along the bottom! there's always a section along the bottom that never clears properly. Doesn't make a difference, so again just bemusing.

I'm off to Lahinch for the Paddy's Weekend: I'll report back on range experience with that. Note that I've been driving a camper a lot over the last tens years so my brain is now dialled into driving at 100-105km/hr and the negligible difference it makes to the journey times in Ireland. I.e. Don't expect any 'high-speed' runs!

Wear Well!!

And yeah, at start, all the options and screens can be a bit confusing but very quickly you start to find your way around or what shortcuts the use on wheel. Also after initial week of trying all the settings, you just find your happy setting and stop fiddling with stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is this a good car, I test drove one for someone the other day, told them it seemed decent, good spec, 7yr warranty, suits their 100km a day commute. They just told me they done the deal.

Reading over the last few pages of the thread and I'm a little concerned.

Was pushing them towards the tesla rwd, but ended up a 10k difference between the two after trade in on the top spec long range MG.

Delivery quoted as 4mts. Should I tell them reconsider? Seems like good value and matched their budget.

I thought the drive was good, kept telling me slow down but that was my only gripe.

@drunkmonkey

Yes it's a very good car, especially at the price - as Usual Suspect says above the extras on the top of the range probably aren't worth the premium (I did get that level) - but it is a very solid, comfy car to drive. RWD with great suspension and decent acceleration. There are some gripes with the software, which we are all waiting impatiently for an update to sort but nothing that really impacts on it as a car. There are a few out there building mountains out of molehills regards build quality issues and making it sound like a 'broken' design, it's nothing of the sort.

It is not at Tesla's level at all, but that's not MG's target. The MG4 is almost identical in size, spec, power and build with the VW id3 and the Cupra Born but in LR Excite trim almost €10k less, and €15k less than a Model 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

it's got some buttons, better than the id3 in my short drive opinion. Didn't push it on the corners as wasn't sure what dive it was and didn't want to crash something that wasn't mine.

Thanks Paser, I'll say nowt.

Post edited by drunkmonkey on

I absolutely agree - the options/screens will just take some adjustment period, no different to any new vehicle. I still can't believe they software-restricted the shortcuts on the steering wheel though, at least all the other add-ons for the Exclusive get you something physical!

As for driving experience and seating, it's fantastic. At end of the day, I'll use the buttons and menus infrequently, but my time in the car will always be in the seat, across a range of road quality. It rides brilliantly well, the seating is very good and it's also surprisingly quiet for its price point.

Also, @Patser - I'm having to justify to myself the extra money for the top-spec isn't worth it but I do know I wouldn't complain if I had it either :) well wear on your end also!

Saw one in the wild yesterday, one thing I noticed was it seems to have a very small rear windscreen and no rear wiper, can any owners confirm or deny if these are issues for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭crl84

Would highly recommend subscribing to this guy on youtube. Loads of tips and tricks for the MG4. Here's where the intelligent battery heating is (and why to turn it off):

https://www.youtube.com/@BurlSolomons/videos

My previous two cars didn’t have a rear wiper so I’m used to it now. I believe the rear spoiler on the lip of the boot does a decent job at protecting from some spray also.

As for small rear window, it’s narrower than the car I’m coming from immediately, but still seems good enough. The wing mirrors are excellent which I’m more conscious of: spot cyclists, over-takers, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭crl84

On the Exclusive spec, the drag created by the rear spoiler is supposed to help with clearing the rear windscreen too, forcing air downwards over the windscreen.

I've seen some people say that they've applied Rain-X too, but not sure if it's really needed. Haven't noticed anyone online particularly complaining about lack of rear wiper.

Advertisement