Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2023 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

TTTs should have no place in the overall. Yet another mechanism for big-budget teams to screw over the GC ambitions of poorer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Really hope TTTs don’t become more common place.

The amount of money the oil-money teams are pumping into aerodynamics testing means any of the smaller teams are just going to get destroyed.

UAE for example are running custom TT bar setups that alone cost about €4k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Doc07

I suppose I should be happy RTÉ news even mention Sam but what a well informed headline , spoiler alert!

‘Sam Bennett falls back after Paris-Nice time trial’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

yep, always frustrating hearing Tour reports or whatever for him when they give his GC place.

"Sam Bennett finished 155th today on a mountinous stage through the alps and has slipped a further 20 places down to 140th overall"

pointless stuff

"Mo Salah saved no penalties today as Liverpool lost 2-0 to Spurs"

Not strictly cycling related but that is a loooong camper van. When it turns, the rear overhang must cross over the Dutch border

Paris-Nice looking spicy, been a couple of splits and echelons already, and a mountaintop finish to come as well.

Lotto co-sponsor "DSTNY" vexes me unreasonably. This hasn't been helped by the addition of a sub-sponsor "Efficy". Just seems like utter Bllsht.

Maybe I'm suffering from Irritable Vowel Syndrome?

• Advertisement

Pog pulling away from Jonas here!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Savage leadout from ADQ finished off by Philipsen. VDP took him from 500 to 100 out at an unmerciful rate of watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Great finish by Pog, he's great to watch. Sprinting all week for bonus seconds and then still winning on the mountain. I think he is now leading all jersey classifications!

Nice interview with Mader after the finish, he did well today and finished 3rd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah great ride from Mader. Vingegaard seems like very much the ideal Skineos type of rider. Needs a strong team around him whereas Pog is fine with or without but obviously better with a stronger team and they have strengthened. With Roglic (absolutely key last year) doing the Giro I can't see anything other than another Tour victory for Pog and then I bet he'll have a crack at the Giro next year. He 'aint Indurain. He wants to win it all. The Cannibal of our generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Harsh on Vingegaard. He was amazing last year in the Tour and deserved that win. Love watching Pog myself but I’m not sure winning Paris Nice in March has much to do with the Tour this summer

He seems to want to try and win as many different races as possible...won the UAE tour, Strade and T-A last year, this year skips them all to win some spanish races and have a crack at Paris-Nice. He's also attempting LBL and the Amstel race, as well as going back to RVV and MSR.

Post edited by retalivity on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

True. I'm not particularly aligned either way. Obviously Pog is more entertaining but for all I know Vingegaard has the grit. He might yet prove me wrong on Sunday. Don't get me wrong he deserved the Tour last year but the work the team put in beating Pog up was crucial. It would have been much closer otherwise I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I think that the big difference between today and last year was the Pogačar got a gap and then was able to extend that gap. Last year Vingegaard never left him get more than a foot away from him. Don't know if that was because he took his eye of Pogačar or if Pogačar has been working on his explosiveness to get that gap.

Last year I don't think that Pogačar was at the same level that he was at in the previous year. I base this on his form after the Tour de France rather than the Tour itself. During the Tour he burned too many matches trying to burn Vingegaard from his wheel. That initial gap is all important.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think racing from March to October every year cost Pogacar the tour last year. It’ll be interesting to see if he takes a break after the spring classics or continues to race hard right up to the Tour.

He’s the first rider to win the tour after competing well in all the classics since Hinault, I think. I didn’t think it was possible anymore and worry it won’t be again this year. He’s great to watch though. I wouldn’t bet against him winning all 5 monuments and all 3 GTs before he retires.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Is Merckx the only person to have won all 3 GT's, 5 Monuments and the World Championships? I'd imagine Pog might try to aim to emulate that.

• Advertisement

Yup. And by a long chalk. The only riders to have won all 5 monuments were Merckx, Van Looy and De Vlaeminck. De Vlaeminck never won the Worlds and neither De Vlaeminck nor Van Looy won a GT, let alone all three.

The closest anyone else got would have been Hinault and Gimondi. 3 GTs, WC and 3 monuments

Hairy legs Rog still has it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

He’s so good in those types of finishes. 20 men together in the last KM of a hill and he wins 90% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Sam Bennett had nothing there

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Really disappointed, he looked to be in a very good position but had nothing left when it came to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The DS said Sam isn't 100% healthy - whatever that means

From the Finish Line

“The sprinter teams didn't let a larger group go today and ensured that the fast men got their last chance. In the technical and tricky finale, positioning was the key to success today. Danny van Poppel did a good lead out but unfortunately Sam Bennett isn’t 100% healthy, which is why he ultimately didn't have the necessary punch.” Rolf Aldag, Sports Director

Seven Worlds will Collide

Wout has taken over crash duties from Rog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't downplay the team effort of JV last year too much, but Pog didn't race smart either. Wasted energy/ "burnt matches" when he didn't have to, or for a handful of seconds. Big difference this year might be Pieper being back more involved.

Advertisement