Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC 2022 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I went to a community school in west Dublin. We had sports facilities as good as any private school.

What we didn't have was a culture that as soon as you walk in the door, you're playing rugby and you'll play it every day for the next six years.

Everyone just played their own sports or none at all. That's the difference. It's not really about having a rich daddy. It's about a hundred years of having rugby drummed into you. It's about the entire school turning up to cheer you on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So it's the parents fault! God forbid some parents can do something great for their family.

The amount of finger pointing at people that have done well for themselves and their families is nuts. I've friends that went to Belvo and St Paul's. Their parents worked hard to put them into these schools.

Who's to blame for Limerick being decent hurlers? So what if private schools focus on rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Apologize! You serpent! How dare you go to a good school.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't know where this idea that Leinster schools have a 'quasi-professional' setup has come from but its completely ridiculous. Somehow its been decided that having a coach and a gym = professional

As someone who went to a pretty rubbish rugby school, the most obvious difference was just playing numbers. Blackrock and Michaels could field 4/5 teams in each year, that breeds competition and drastically increases your chances of having good athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Private schools mainly focus on rugby and excel at it. I can't think of any public school where rugby is the sole focus. Public schools might be very good at a particular sport like GAA but also have soccer, rugby basketball teams depending on the size of the school. Most large schools would excel at rugby if that's the only sport they played. Public schools reflect diversity of its students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Michaels are a relatively new school at top end of things but many other schools can field large numbers and dont compete at top end - Cknock etc.

And for most Leinster schools its far more than having a coach and a gym. its 3 pitch sessions a week. coached gym sessions several times a week. video sessions 1/2 times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm not proffering an opinion on the private/public school debate, merely an amusing (to me) anecdote.

I'm from Celbridge and my secondary school (anyone from Celbridge knows which one by that statement) had a grand total of two rugby training sessions over the course of my time there. Six years, two sessions. Anyway, it was only due to a few of the teachers have a slight background in rugby. We trained twice (anyone who had any background from Barnhall or North Kildare) and then arranged a game against a local rugby side that a teacher had a friend who was a coach with. Yep, us with two sessions went up against ... Clongowes.

Admittedly their thirds side and we only lost by three points (aided ably by myself coming on as a sub for two minutes in sub zero temps and knocking the ball on with a three man overlap in the final seconds). Good craic, but jesus were we outmatched overall.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

From Andy Skehan, for example. It's five years old but Michael's have, if anything, improved since then.

I've never been a fan of the wanky expression 'check your privilege' but it seems appropriate for some of the Marie Antoinette levels of delusion some people are displaying about what is normal and attainable for the Hoi polloi and what is the preserve of the elite of society.

If there wasn't such an enormous difference in facilities and environment between public and private schools, why on earth would parents be throwing 10 grand a year per child away?

The school I went to had one sort-of pitchy area of grass, zero sports coaches of any description, no PE class after first year (and that was just the janitor watching kids play basketball, in their uniforms), no equipment at all and nobody had the first clue about rugby.

And this wasn't some Strumpet City tenement setup, just a normal, bog-standard 600-student, country, catholic, public school in the 90s like so many others around the country. We had a world champion martial artist, we had kids who couldn't afford books, we had teachers who organised chess leagues and table quizzes, we had students who missed weeks of school because they worked on the farm, students whose parents had two cars and natural suntans but mostly just a few hundred kids doing their best to get by and for whom playing sport was at best a second thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

I think this all began in regard to the WRU financial crisis and its impact on the URC. Amazing how peoples long standing agendas/grievances can quickly take over a conversation.

Anyway. URC anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Michael’s is a complete outlier though, even compared to the other private schools. Blackrock may invest a bit in their rugby programme to try an compete but I’m not sure it’s as professional as that. This means that Michael’s players adjust to a professional environment much quicker. It also means that anyone who wants their child to be a pro would probably look at Michael’s if they can afford it. Does it make those players better over the span of their career? How can we know.

I went to a public school, that was an out and out rugby school. In the 80’s we had a gym. We had at that time 6 rugby pitches. We played rugby in PE. Had interclass tournaments and usually 3 teams at each age grade. We had outside coaches (unpaid) for our junior cup team. Won the Junior Cup twice in the 80’s. Through the 90’s and early 00’s the culture and emphasis of the school changed. Other sports were allowed to be played. Rugby became diluted as a sport and the school is barely section A at this stage. I think the culture of the school is a hugely important factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The suggestion I'm questioning is that this is a near professional setup - do we think that setup is far removed from big GAA schools or clubs?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

= best league

ohh, but does that mean we all must check our privilege now??? 😁

Ah come on, you're making non-private schools sound like something out of a Dickens novel.

The coaches of this year's SCT in Blackrock are teachers; Justin Vanstone and Ben Mannion, with John McKee (from the Leinster Academy) involved as he's studying strength and conditioning outside of rugby.

Peter Smyth was a teacher in the school when he was Head Coach. The vast majority of SCT and JCT coaches I can remember from before my time there and beyond have been teachers.

It should be possible to have an honest conversation about how having an elite setup at underage level provided by outside sources frees up budgets that would otherwise need to be spent on funding a fully functioning high-level club game without people dismissing contributions as 'agendas/grievances'.

It should be possible to both recognise that there exists a gulf in opportunity between an expensive private school fully concentrated on rugby and a public school with neither the funding, the knowledge nor the interest to create a competitive rugby environment AND appreciate that the former goes a long way towards fostering a working professional rugby system and without it Ireland would probably be worse off than Wales.

I'm not dismissing the agendas and grievances. I'm acknowledging them.

You surely understand the difference between dimissing X and dismissing X as Y? So you're being doubly dishonest in trying to reframe the latter as the former.

For my part I have neither an agenda nor a grievance. The idea of a private school, or of playing high-level rugby, never entered my mind. I'm very happy that Ireland has a world class rugby team just as I'm cognisant of the factors that allow us to have one.

Likewise, I'm very happy to have been able to afford to buy a house and can recognise how hugely fortunate I am to be in that position. I don't go around puzzled as to why people who aren't that lucky don't simply inherit money from their grandparents.

Don't call me dishonest never mind double dishonest.

Portraying non-fee-paying schools as something from the director's cut of Angela's Ashes is about as dishonest as it gets tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

your recent posts are full of grievances, the level of complaint in them is literally dripping off the screen.

Well don't deliberately misquote me and deliberately misinterpret me then. It's not hard.

(no idea how to multi-quote on this POS)

"Portraying non-fee-paying schools as something from the director's cut of Angela's Ashes is about as dishonest as it gets tbh."

Are you that removed from reality that an accurate description of schools with little to no funding for sports seems like Hollywood fiction?

• Advertisement

It should be, though you want to keep ignoring the reality of the situation. It would never be possible for the IRFU to replicate what happens in Michael’s. Short of setting up and funding a school for gifted potential professional players. So it’s not a case of the IRFU or Leinster branch saving anything by having Michael’s there. Leinster have invested heavily in their high performance centers and development pathways outside of the schools. They also fund development officers for the schools. Which is all they could ever do, even if Michael’s didn’t exist. The only difference is, Michael’s have a captive population and can structure their development around that. Where as the Leinster coaches only have access outside school hours.

Are you that removed from reality that an accurate description of schools with little to no funding for sports seems like Hollywood fiction?

Not sure what to say to this really. I went to a community school in the 1990s. We had very successful GAA, athletics and swimming teams, soccer was next in line and somewhere down the list came rugby and golf. None of this required "funding", it requires 20 kids, a teacher and a ball. It requires parents to facilitate their kids in sport, and it requires a culture in the school of sport being important. Some schools focus exclusively on one sport.

Look at St Kieran's in Kilkenny. Utterly dominant in schools hurling which is played far more widely than rugby. It's not fee-paying.

The 'rich daddies' thing is a red herring. Claiming that kids in the public school sector don't have enough to eat or only do PE in first year with some creepy janitor looking on is an entire shoal of red herrings.

And do you not think it's reasonable to assume that without the pipeline of players from the schools the Provinces would have to spend money on foreign imports to plug all the holes in the team?

In terms of sheer numbers if you have 10 players coming through at 18yo who look like prospects you can take most if not all of them into your academy, have them continue in a structure similar to what they're used to, pay them a nominal amount and hang on to the 3 or 4 who turn out to be the genuine article.

You can't do that with foreign players. They either come in ready to play or close to it, will need a proper salary and you can take in maximum one or two. If they don't work out, or get injured early, you're stuck and either have to spend again or compete with lesser players.

You can go through the club route and bring in a load of young players to the academy that way but they're going to be a long way behind in their development.

Using centres of excellence to supplement and eventually supplant the school system would be ideal. That could take a long time to come to fruition and the players will still have less day-to-day involvement in the sport.

I'm amazed Welsh Rugby did so well in the past without private schools. Perhaps, just perhaps the problem lies with the WRU and is absolutely nothing to do with fee paying schools.

If St. Kieran's is your idea of an average public school I can see where the confusion comes from.

It's not comparing apples with oranges, both orgs publish their accounts and the WRU takes in just as much revenue as the IRFU. They have a stadium that's 50% bigger than Lansdowne Rd, it gets used for more events and concerts and whatever, they get their TV money from the BBC or ITV exactly the same as England or Scotland do. It's what they do with their money is the problem.

In the 2022/23 intake, there were 2 players from Michael’s, 2 from Blackrock, two from the clubs pathway and one each from Newbridge and Clongowes. So Michael’s only provided a quarter of the intake.

You seem to feel, that without the schools. The players would never be as good. There is no evidence of this though. It may delay development but players like Tector don’t seem to be that affected by not benefiting from going to Michael’s. Our Academy system has far more impact than the schools. Something people seem to want to completely ignore.

I didn't say it's average. My exact point is that it's an outlier that's not driven by fees, so there must be something else making them so good at hurling.

However, it's closer to the average than the hedge schools you seem to imagine as being widespread.

If you went to a school that placed no emphasis on sports and the kids came from impoverished backgrounds, then that's unfortunate. Your beef is with your school, not with schoolkids playing rugby in 2023.

• Advertisement

3/4 of the intake from schools, 1/4 from clubs. Without the schools you've either 75% fewer players in the academy or you take in 6 less good players. Tector went to an elite private school.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make as everything you're saying confirms the fact that (fee-paying) schools provide the bulk of the academy and, eventually the professional squad.

25% is a good start towards expanding the player base. 50 would be a marked improvement.

Advertisement