Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not quite there @liamog! And you need to talk to my wife, she's forever complaining it's only a starter home that we are still living in 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I always knew we were way behind in terms of wind generation capacity, but I didn’t realise how far behind we actually were until I sailed from Kiel in Germany to Klaipeda in Lithuania last summer, and we passed about a dozen offshore wind farms, with an average of about 100 or so turbines per farm….

Likewise with land based wind turbines, Lithuania have a load of them already installed, and I drove past an installation site with a sh1t ton of new turbines being installed only 2 weeks ago.. (Lithuania were one of the 1st countries to completely wean themselves off Russian gas not so long ago and they are really going big on wind)

They’re also going big on Solar PV, but rather cleverly, they allow apartment dwellers with no roof space to buy into solar farms located outside the cities so everyone has a chance to avail of Solar PV..

we bought a holiday house there and it’s coming with 19 panels in the roof (they should have been installed by now but the war put a halt on a lot of things, though I believe they are going in this or next week…) It’s something like an 8kW system so we’ll generate our annual usage during the summer (what you feed in, you can take back later for a pittance so the grid effectively becomes your battery storage).

95% of the houses already have their panels installed but of course I chose a house that was still to get them installed because it had a great roof aspect and sun in the back garden in the evenings… but until the panels are installed the builder is paying for all of our electricity so we’re not complaining!!

Ireland has so much catching up to do…. Even with countries that would be perceived as being ‘below’ us economically…

Side note, and bringing it back to EV’s, but Tesla is by far the dominant EV in Lithuania…. For every 1 non Tesla EV I’d see there, I’d see about 10 Tesla’s… couldn’t believe how many there are there… (including lots of U.S. imports)… They love their fast cars there, and they love their Tesla’s

For many years, the Tesla Model S and Model X were the best selling EVs in the Netherlands!

Talking around 2015 / 2016 here. You'd simply have more chance to see a Ferrari than a Tesla in Ireland and over there, you'd literally see one every minute driving on any motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

This was rather disappointing from my point of view as someone who follows EV tech.....

How much of this is down to ESB charging and how much is down to the Mustang.....

Mark is simply reporting his experience on the day so to me that's fine and in fact is good learning for future infrastructure planning.

Availability of charging at destination would mitigate some of this.....

But I'm now accustomed to Neyland doing 1000 kms in 9.5 hours so that's my benchmark of what EV technology is currently at.

Obviously doing 1000 kms in 9.5 hours requires better infrastructure then we have and a better car then the Mustang.....

But we know that a long Range Model 3 would probably do north of 200 miles before needing a charge.

And that you'd be adding 50 percent charge in about 20 mins.....

Tesla much more efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

on the topic of generation - wouldnt wave generation from the sea be our best bet? tides come in and go out every day.. so if you can harness that you dont need to worry about no wind days or cloudy days?

• Advertisement

Mach E is a great looking car (albeit grossly overpriced), but like almost all other EVs (notable exception the Teslas), the Cd is very poor at 0.28. And the aerodynamics are crucial for range, as you need your range on motorways at 120km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i just skipped through it but would be good to know if he left at 100% (assume he did?) and why he stuck to ESB when ionity are much better for high speed charging, that said the charging curve on the mustang looks to be pretty poor.

be great to get a summary at the end of the soc leaving, and charge taken in various locations and how long it took.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Yes he fully charged at home before heading off. I only skippe through it myself, but I caught that bit 😂

Tbh, Mark knows his EVs pretty well now. It wouldn't be too hard to make that trip even in a Mach E with just one charge (while you were having dinner, so not losing much time). If that was really very important to you. But I guess most people doing that sort of distance regularly either don't have an EV yet or if their time is very important to them, they'd get a Tesla, as they simply need the least number of minutes spent charging per 100km driven and can charge among the fastest of all of them in the most convenient and reliable way (supercharger - always working, never queues)

seems strange he had to stop 3 times, i would have thought 2 short stops max would suffice, certainly did me in an even less efficient ev going to cork and back, and both stops were less than 20 min.

• Advertisement

he would have been wrecked regardless, the fact it was an ev added an hour to his trip, its not as if he would have skipped out of his outlander phev fresh as a daisy now is it ;)

anyway he added probably 30 or 40 of those minutes needlessly by using ESB, deliberately.

This is precisely what I'd expect from modern EV tech in 2023....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The tide does indeed come and go twice a day, but for 1-2 hours either side of turning, it’s very slack, so in a 24 hour period, you are only getting maybe 16-18 hours of full flow, with the rest of the time being very slack and not able to produce anything….

Tidal seems to make sense for anyone who has ever stood in the sea and was knocked over by a wave. All that energy, all the time, everywhere where there's a coastline, for free. But it has been tried many times, failed every single time even before it got tried at commercial scale. Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I did over 500km 5 years ago in an ev with 2 stops and a quick splash and dash. And I was doing 120 plus. Dublin to cork to Dublin EV rally. We only had SPOF 50kW chargers then, and I couldnt afford a Tesla then so I was in the poor mans tesla (Ioniq28!).

Now, in 2023, that should be easily doable on one 10-15 minute stop. Just avoid ecars. All motorways in Ireland seem to have great coverage. Even removing superchargers, I'd be able to do that drive at 120+ in my base model 3 with one charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Wave and tide are different things.

Wave generators need rough seas. Plenty of small demos but no large scale.

Tidal generators tested in Carling Ford lough. It's basically an upside down wind turbine. They designed it so everything can raise out of the water for repair and inspection. It peaks at predetermined times each day. There is only limited places around British isles where they could be used usually in estuaries.

Salt corrosion, moving parts, limited locations, but mainly higher cost than wind.

Shore based wind is proven financially viable and breaks even in around 5 years. Offshore less so but still massive strides and plans for big areas like Dublin Wicklow and Arklow planned.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I charge only at public chargers and I deliberately don't use ESB DCs. From a frequent user perspective for 13 quid a month I have access to Ionity at 35c/kWh which is cheaper than the daytime electricity at home. (not to mention cheaper ESB rates). Then you get multi chargers per location which actually deliver power. I have not used an ESB DC other that for testing purposes since May of 2021. I never drive under the speed limit, and the climate is set to 21 Celsius since I bought the car..

Now I watched the video and my conclusion is that it is trying to show the perspective of a completely novice, noob is you want, at EVs, charging and all that. I think it is a genuine thing, and shows the effort required to educate people when getting into an EV. Unfortunately he's right the infrastructure is not there but also the mindset needs to change. At around minute 5 they say they have stopped at Cashel for number 1 but didn't charge as they have only an esb card. Personally I would have charged there and went directly to the airport where I would have charged to 100% during the 2.5h stop. That is the biggest change in mindset that the EV drivers and charging networks have to do. Charge while parked is a great advantage the EV ca get. You don't need to go to a petrol station to get electricity. Case in point, Cork airport has a number of DC and AC chargers. Why not charge there? The piece at J14 shows how poor the only ESB hub is. Mind you the last unit the Delta was brought in last as the efacec never worked properly. Ionity is waay better bet. Why was that required I don't know as never drove a Mustang EV, but my car is at 25% now and it reports 131km range. From J14 to Dublin is around 70 ish? I would definitely get home without stopping so again a novice perspective. Yes, Mark we want more videos like this but a little bit of planning doesn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

To me the dream scenario is a floating wind turbine with a tidal or wave generator under it

Probably a whole heap of good engineering reasons why it won't work very well or be cost effective.

But combining both generation methods in the same site and through the same grid connection seems like a cool idea

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I agree there's definitely some steep learning curve which I think puts a lot of people off. The total lack of good information isn't helping

For example about a year ago I was chatting with a woman who had just gotten an EV6. She was saying the salesman told her that driving up North is easy and there's a fast charger in Castlebellingham

Yeah, THAT Castlebellingham 🙄

Anyway she tried it out with her other half and they were unsurprisingly annoyed to see the massive queue at the ESB charger

I mentioned to her that there's a much faster Ionity charger at City North and she said she had no idea it even existed

You'd think the Kia sales team would know about Ionity since their parent company is one of the owners 🤦‍♂️

So there needs to be some general advertising around EV charging I reckon. There's billboards advertising cheap fuel, why don't we have a big billboard on the M7 saying "Ionity, Ireland's fastest charging network, located at Kill and Cashel" or something like that?

ESB certainly has its issues.

But I suspect the biggest issue from the off is the Mustangs obvious horrendous inefficiency on the day.....

The ESB chargers would have been okay from an impact on the test prospective had the EV been an efficient one.....

Inefficiency on an EV means more energy is needed to put mileage back in the battery....

Thus more time at chargers.

Edit

For context......

It appears the one in Cork* can do between 85 and 126 kW.

An MG5 should be able to put in 152 miles in 40 mins at 80 to 90 kW.....

That's after doing potentially 160 miles to the charger.

Giving a potential mileage on one charge stop of 40 mins of 312 miles.

I get the point that the MG5 may not perfectly hit that projected performance on the day of the test.

But could still match or even beat a car with much higher peak charging speed and a much bigger battery.

Efficiency for the win....

*the one used on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

We should also look at more pumped hydro storage (they are the batteries)

Funny you mention that - I was reading up over the weekend about the Snowy 2.0 pumped hydro expansion project currently being built in Aus.

Snowy 2.0 will provide an additional 2,000 megawatts of dispatchable, on-demand generating capacity and approximately 350,000 megawatt hours of large-scale storage to the National Electricity Market. To provide context, this is enough energy storage to power three million homes over the course of a week.

Thats a big-arse battery....

inefficiency and a seemingly woeful charging curve!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

The first platform allowing access to Tesla’s Supercharger charging network is Chargemap. Owners of a Tesla or other EV can now use their Chargemap Pass to charge at a Supercharger. The service is limited to France for now. Still, the compatibility of the Chargemap Pass will soon be extended to all Superchargers approved for all-electric cars in the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is it limited to certain chargers at a hub or will the entire hub be opened up? I would hope for the former to keep the USP for teslas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's a thread for the Supercharger network https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058155111/tesla-supercharger-network-in-ireland. Short answer to your question is when they open a site it's the whole site. Nothing announced or opened up in Ireland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just a gentle reminder to any new EV drivers.

If you park at a charger and don't plug in, you are blocking that charger from being used by someone who may need it.

I was charging at the chargepoint outside Dealz in rathfarnham recently. Even though it has 2 connectors only one works at any time. A lady pulled in beside me so I jumped out to tell her that her side wouldn't work while I am actively charging. She replied "oh I'm not charging. I just park here to do my shopping". I told her it's the same as blocking a petrol pump and leaving your car there. She just went "yeah I suppose so", and then walked off and left it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It does do 2 at a time there, I'm often there and have no issues charging when another is actively charging. I even checked and we were drawing 11kW each!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

Clearly couldnt charge 2 cars when @mfceiling was there!

I suspect that driver switched from disabled car bays to EV bays when she got a new set of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wouldn't work for me on Monday. Once one car was charging it wouldn't start a charge on the other side. Happened a lot there recently.

• Advertisement

Typical southsiders, not a moment's courtesy for the common folk 🙄

😉

Advertisement