Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for €10 congestion charge, parking increases of 400% and a 20kmh reduction in speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes, thou must remember that it's YOU the individual who can make all the difference now... (just don't look at the Energy companies making Billions of dollars in profit a week... sschuusshhh look over there....!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The majority of the adult population drive regardless of going into Dublin or not. The majority of people commuting into Dublin do so as there is no viable alternatives for public transports or to live in a property in the county and most would be heading in as they work there. Behavior will only change when there is a viable alternatives, until then all it is an increased tax on people working in Dublin from outside.

We were at a rate of 446 passenger cars per 1000 inhabitants so when exclude those who are too young and too old to drive and those who commute via motor cycle. We have a lot of people who have a car. Now would you own and run a car taking into account the way motor tax, fuel prices, insurance prices etc have gone up and up and up - if you did not need to run the car? Those driving into the city center are doing so to work - why are you trying to penalise people trying to work.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/452019/ireland-number-of-cars-per-thousand-inhabitants/#:~:text=Ireland%3A%20number%20of%20cars%20per%201%2C000%20inhabitants%201990%2D2020&text=The%20motorization%20rate%20in%20Ireland,one%20thousand%20inhabitants%20in%202020.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The reality is for a lot of people in Dublin they already have publci transport available but will not use it. How do you propose to get people to move onto public transport?

I didn't see you answering the question I riased in terms of who to blame in next government if the Green Party are gone?

We are at a rate of 446 cars per 1000 people back in 2020.(So when you take out those too old and too young too drive and those motor bikes a large % of the population drive) Now as I asked the other poster if you owned a car would you use it if you really did not need it when you factor in the price points of every aspect of motoring has shoot up through the roof.?? Also your stats are almost a decade out of date?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/452019/ireland-number-of-cars-per-thousand-inhabitants/#:~:text=Ireland%3A%20number%20of%20cars%20per%201%2C000%20inhabitants%201990%2D2020&text=The%20motorization%20rate%20in%20Ireland,one%20thousand%20inhabitants%20in%202020.

Well bring in the options for those outside the pale to commute in and then have the discussion. Until that happens all this is, is a tax on people working outside of Dublin who have to work there. Also if the political class could lead and start by doing zoom calls instead of jumping on airplanes for the paddys day jollies as there is no need for them to be physically there and then rid all car parking spaces for themselves that would leading and doing what I do instead of doing what I say. As some posters put it its up to the individual to make the change but those in charge feel the same rules for them dont apply to them as they are special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

Maybe by making public transport more attractive. There are other ways to make public transport more attractive than taxing people onto buses.

Build the metro

Build the dart extensions

Build new luas lines

Yes but the 30-40 years previously when publci transport and cycling was totally ignored, is that the Green Party fault becuase that would seem to be the suggestion on this thread?

Which requires .........more taxes

Buses are a cheap way to move large amounts of people around, the reason they are slow is because they are stuck in traffic with people in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it was ignored by FFFG for 100 years. same with our appalling environmental standards and plummeting biodiversity. people blame all these things on the greens now because they've had a smidgeon of power for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

But no one is saying everyone has to stop using cars.

Of course the big 4/5 countries (and all countries) have to take measures too, big measures. And while Ireland is small, our per capita emissions are high - higher in fact than one of those 'Big 5' (India).

• Advertisement

Eh no it does not require more taxes. It requires some phucking cop on when spending the governments over the last decade and a half have p1ssed a fortune a way. Anglo?? benchmarking (twice) ?? The childrens hospital??? to name but a few. We pay more than enough to fund the above outlined by the poster you replied to. We have borrowed 230 billion(or so) we are taking in over 100billion in tax a year. At what point can we start looking at where this money goes. I mean for god sake we cant build enough houses to house our population or give the general public a half decent health care system. So I take Umbridge with this crap of more taxes. We pay tax on almost every aspect of life from eating to sleeping to just about everything else. The likes of you wont be happy till we are taxed per breathe taken. By all means if you want to pay more for the black hole that seems to swallow up the public purse go ahead I for one feel I pay more than enough and that I get very little in return in the way of decent public services for what I pay in to the system.

This charge/issue is a microcosm of the failures of government spending. People want behavior to change with regards to driving a car and without giving a real alternatives as there has not been enough money spent on the areas associated with public transport or housing which is the only way your going to get people out of the car and the likes of you want more tax from everyone to sort this when we are paying though the nose in tax and things like the money that could be saved in Eamo and the rest of our elite political class fecking off to HongKong and other areas of the globe for a jollies on paddies day should be cut and tell them to make a zoom call instead. So how about we try less spending areas that are not needed and more concentrated spending on the areas needed please and give the options for people to actually leave the car at home until the political class change their attitude on spending nothing will change.

Or could be financed by sustainable finance, green bonds etc.

Instead all that sustainable finance has really amounted to so far is the greenwashing of financial products.

As highlighted already there are plenty of improvements that can be made to the bus service that aren't traffic dependent.

And yet if we all walked and stopped driving it wont make a blind bit of difference to the CO2 emissions being emitted globally. What people from the green agenda are saying if you have to commute into Dublin using a car your going to pay a tax. I mean anyone coming into Dublin driving with the high costs that are now attached to driving a car are a very real disincentive to drive already. So only those who have no other choice would choose to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I see another tiktok data center coming to Dublin. Greens silent. Charge the little man out of existence though!

The biggest issue in bus, especially the likes of Dublin Bus is the inconvenience compared to a car. Then people say it is no quicker than a car because it is stuck in traffic with people in cars.

We can't make the streets bigger so remove the cars.

Putting more cars on the road while trying to improve public transport will not work. They are fighting for the same space.

What has a DC got to do with travel in Ireland?

Fix our own country and then discuss global issues

In reality the majority of the rest of the World, including developing countries have a far superior public transport system to Ireland. So should we not look at fixing that? even if it is for our own benefit?

• What? Doesn’t DB have their own lanes etc in the city to make things smoother for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I think it was this thread which earlier posted an image of a DB lane. Let just say other road users involved.

The majority of routes have sections whcih are shared with cars etc and it all comes to a hault

• Advertisement

no they don't, they have some paint markings that are packed with cars and taxis

By all means fix our own country but don't do it by penalizing people who have no other option but to drive a car into Dublin as the houses for sale and rent are just non-existent in Dublin same goes with the public transport on offer. Also dont think we can just increase taxes we pay more then enough to have a first world public transport system. We had what 20Billion in corpo taxes last year 10 billion of that was unexpected. How much could be done with that with building infrastructure? Until our spend is brought into the lime light and a light shone on the waste that our elite political classes are spending nothing will change and of course there is no real punishment for any politician. They may get voted out but with an overly generous pension that us the mere mortals can come nowhere near affording.

The "no option to drive a car" is not really true. The convenient option is to drive a car.

I agree we should be investing now in public transport

Every ringroad has proved to do one thing exactly, just move the traffic to the next town.

and i don't think people would be happy with a massive park and ride and then getting on a train or whatever either if it took longer and was more inconvenient

I don't think anyone has suggested putting more cars on the road.

As someone who uses the bus to get to work I disagree with you. The inconvenience associated with bus use isn't only down to speed. I travel 7km to work. 5km of that is by bus with roughly a 1km walk either side. In terms of speed, at peak time travelling by bus wins. At off peak times the car wins although I would rarely ever take the car.

But if i'm going somewhere other than An Lar at weekends for example then the convenience of the bus diminishes.

Traffic or other cars on the road isn't the reason Newcastle only has two buses in the morning before 9am as highlighted by a TD yesterday. Traffic isn't the reason the first bus I can get on a Sunday morning is 9:30am. Traffic isn't the reason we don't have a full functioning 24 hour bus service.

Instead we've prioritised people's work journeys and amplified the need for a car outside of work.

Convenient where does Convenient end and necessity start. So I live just outside of a big town in Meath and have to get to work in Ballsbridge. I have to cater for 1 out of my 2 kids to get to school as he has autism and he cant use public transport (he has a meltdown and just cant use it unfortunately) and the only school available for special needs is over 20 km away the other kid uses a school bus . So how do I manage this without a car. I am sure I am not alone in cases that its just not a viable option to bus it or bike it when you have to work with the time pressure that brings and have other family commitments, but you want me to pay an additional tax to come to work on top of paying Income tax, PRSI, USC, motor tax, VAT on insurance, VAT/carbon tax on petrol, toll bridge, VAT on the car. So the "no option to drive a car" is true for a lot of people who have no other option but to use a car.

Now if successive governments has actually spent prudently.

I could live in Dublin and use public transport to get to work if they had built enough houses.

I could live in Meath and use public transport to get to work in Dublin if they had built the infrastructure to do so.

I could send my kid to a school that caters for special needs closer to home if they had put money into this area (which has been shockingly underfunded)

But alas the money I have paid into the social contract that sees me paying a lot of money in taxes for a delivery of a decent return on public services has been badly broken by government after government and your solution is let the sucker pay more. Thanks but no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

And bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

If we are serious about reducing emissions, we need to do a few things really, really well rather than trying to do lot of things really badly. Public Transport has struggled to recover in line with the increase in post-pandemic demand. I use PT several times a week to get into Dublin City and there is no capacity available to accommodate all the people who are in their cars. So unless we are about to receive significant deliveries of trains and busses I can't see how a congestion charge can do anything other than cause utter frustration and gridlock.

If transport is the key to emissions then the Government needs to do something to make its policies a reality and be consistent about it. In 2021, Eamonn Ryan wanted 1 million electric cars on the road by 2030. In 2022, Eamonn Ryan abandoned the 1 million target and said he wanted to reduce overall cars on the road. Which is it - and what will it be next year? Why would people invest in electric cars or use a congested public transport system when the Minister in charge can't even get his core policies straight?

Advertisement