Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell (of depth and duration uncertain!) starting Tuesday 7th March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭highdef

So this is what the UK Met Office is thinking with regards to accumulating snow for tomorrow's event. This would also apply to the top half of Ireland, away from eastern coastal areas. There will be a keen easterly developing as the day goes on and I have little hope of anything of note building up in the east.

My house in Longford is bang on 100m so I expect at least 10cm of snow but the far end of the land falls to about 95m so I expect nothing at all there.......I joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is that what qualifies as snow these days? 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Latest ECM, midlands now looking the sweet spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Snowing away here in Ballincollig, albeit it’s wet snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Getting heavy east of Cork city...not sticking unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,298 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah it’s snowing in cork city but not sticking but you can’t fault the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The latest Harmonie run supports the ECM quite well. A growing idea that the best snow could be a bit further south so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭odyboody

it's Snow

It's Ireland

It's always going to be a bit of a now cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

At this stage if the ECM remains unchanged, I can imagine some counties will be placed under an orange alert by this eve.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Sherkin Island a full three degrees colder than Dublin?

Hows that?

• Administrators Posts: 54,055 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've to drive (with the kids!) from Wicklow to Clare tomorrow night. The plan was to leave Wicklow around 7.

Having a hard time parsing the exact warning here. Is it forecast to be ok at that time, or should I be leaving earlier (or later) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

If you are taking the motorway from Wicklow, through the M50 and then motorway to Ennis, you should be fine as these roads will be well treated. HOWEVER, the intensity of snowfall at any given location along the route could create localised issues even on the motorway. Not a great day to be travelling potentially. Take it easy.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Jerry Murphy on radio 1 "pockets of orange level warning snow" in places tomorrow, certainly enough to cause disruption to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Rte radio 1, Gerry said there will be significant lying snow, pockets of orange warning levels.

For Dublin, it's bright/hazy with the breeze off the relatively mild sea. For Sherkin, heavy cloud with precipitation and a northerly wind from the snow covered mountains.

Gerry Murphy was just on Radio One and he mentioned disruptive snow and that there are likely to be some orange warnings issued later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Think it worth noting that when people reference orange, it's not going to be widespread Orange, more likely parts of the midlands.

While I don't want to burst some people's bubbles either, for alot it'll be a non event & most places probably won't see any lying snow.

It'll be a now cast, UKMO already shifting the low further South & downgrading the risk in parts of England etc

Just think expectations need to be tempered, we've been here before

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

East/North East wind. Off the sea for Dublin. Off the land for Sherkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yes, Arome snow accumulation by Friday morning is essentially a topographic map of Ireland for the southern half of the country, the northern half looks better at lower levels esecially North Leinster. Only one model and one run though. It's gonna be messy for sure, a nightmare to forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Am I right in thinking Dublin (or more specifically, West Dublin for me) is now at risk of significant snow whereas there was talk from some previous that Dublin would get off lightly? Thanks in advance.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stock up if in high areas of Wicklow it would seem, I'm not jealous..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

More likely now. South & West Co. Dublin are predominantly higher up than the rest as well - we had barely any snow up in Fingal before Christmas whereas the M50 from Clondalkin through to Bray was a winter wonderland for a good few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭pauldry

Bloody hell just dry in Sligo now for tomorrow. When did we suddenly turn dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm on route to Dublin for a few days ,cold and crisp when I left but some rain expected in Dublin this evening

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Grant it I’m useless at reading these maps and charts but everything I’m seeing is excluding Dublin. And anything that is hitting Dublin is more sleet/rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,861 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Best chance for eastern coastal level accumulating snow will be tomorrow night as the cold air wraps around

Always going to be marginal for accumulation in low lying coastal counties during daylight due to the onshore wind and the mild sector at it's most northerly extent (which will make precipitation mixed at times).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Heavy sleet near Mallow. Should be better conditions later tonight for snow one would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Raining here in Waterford now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Try changing your username and hope for the best..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement