Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

Yes.

The real end of this war is with the dissolution of the so called "Russian Federation". That is the only way we can have a long lasting peace in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

If Ukraine had been given ALL that they needed earlier on, there would not be any Russians left in Ukraine now, but they're getting there. And they will not stop until each and every Russian is driven out, which will happen. Estimated 7 Russians to 1 Ukrainian being killed / injured in Bakhmut, that speaks volumes for the quality of the Ukrainian Army. Dedicated men defending their home's and family's against unwilling conscripts and criminals released from prison's? No contest. That says a lot more about the Russian Army, but nothing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

You're comparing a 8 year war (Iraq) with a year war so far.

US has give 110 billion and EU 40 billion, according to figures online.

But I guess you're right, the US are expending Ukrainians rather than their own people so they're happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Every man between 18-60 is fighting in Ukraine.

Russia isn't sending every man 18-60 into Ukraine so your point is nonsense.

Ukraine wasn't a major military power, but it's got endless supply of weapons and money from the US and EU.

• Advertisement

Who is "your lads" referring to? My lads are the Irish defence forces.

Russia is sending anything aged into Ukraine,even people that are disabled or not medically fit for service

And not to mention prisoners as well

Russia has scrapped its age limit for professional soldiers, paving the way for more civilian experts to be recruited for the Ukraine conflict.

President Vladimir Putin has signed a law enabling people over 40 to enlist for the armed forces. They are expected to be people of normal working age.

Previously the army had age limits of 18-40 years for Russians and 18-30 for foreigners.

And the seperatists states have had forced mobilizations as well from any age basically up to 60 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I suppose they may get to Iraq/Afghanistan levels of expenditure (measuring costs of support in trillions) if it continues for another decade.

I also compared what the support has achieved as well, but you ignored that part. Russia may occupy parts of the country but they look unlikely to achieve their aims here as it stands.

Your last point is just a typical cheap shot. Russia is the one killing Ukrainians. You'd probably be wetting your pants + shrieking about WW3 and armageddon if the yanks were getting ready to send in some "advisors" (with equipment!) to put their own lives on the line for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"Every man between 18-60 is fighting in Ukraine."

So, do the math. Assume 50% of a population is female. So, that means at most 14% of the Russian Population numbers, of Ukrainians, is male because 1/2 of 28, is 14.

How many of those, are aged 18-60? Generously again I'd say 1/2, as the Math is simpler. So that's 7% of the Russian Population numbers.

So, Russia is losing to a force of (at most) 7% of their population.

And as you're well aware, Russia's strategy is 'throw bodies at it' as it has burned through its sophisticated weapons and armour stocks.

"Ukraine wasn't a major military power, but it's got endless supply of weapons and money from the US and EU"

Endless? That might, MIGHT, be true now (reality begs mostly to differe) but at the beginning of the conflict, Russia with way more soldiers and armour available should have swept through to Kyiv. That hasn't happened. The military materials from the EU and elsewhere, are coming into Ukraine but obviously weren't there when the mighty Russian army showed up a year+ ago.

No, I think what you're denying is, a force a fraction of the size of the one Russia could bring to bear, has pretty much kept them at bay except for the regions closest to Russia for more than a year, through great courage and sacrifice, knowing the alternative is disaster.

Unless, of course, you're waiting for more Russian conscription/mobilization/kidnap-put-on-bus-and-force-to-march-into-a-bullet-storm to prove your point. Are you? Because Russia's the 2d best army in Ukraine by far. And the Ukrainians haven't got a fraction of the more powerful weapons that are coming. Imagine them with a few dozen Leopard tanks or Abrams taking a tour of Sevastopol. That's a strong possibility yet to come. Throwing bodies in front of tanks doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

With farmingquestion, I just have a mental image of some obnoxious weedy little creep (think Paul Murphy) furiously banging away on the keyboard

• Advertisement

Thats from 2014 as well included in those 20%,last time Russia invaded

Russia have only holds 11% from this invasion left and have made very little gains the last 7 months

And Russia have 5-1 in manpower,5-1 in airforce,5-1 in tanks and armored vehicles,10-1 in artillery and missiles and still cant take Ukraine

That says alot about Ukraine

exactly,and this continues with same tactics from Russia,they might even catch up with US ww2 losses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Heard an interview by an Irish woman working in Russia. She said many Russians are in hiding to avoid the cannon fodder train. But those that go to Ukraine really believe they are fighting nazis.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But it's Ukrainians doing the fighting,and embarrassing the Orc army

20 years of Putins brainwashing have made an impact in Russia,you even see that with a lot of useful idiots in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Zugzwang in chess is a situation where any move by a player leads to a worsening of his position.

We are doing everything to put the enemy in such a situation in this war.

The defense forces are working.

We are proud of every soldier and commander.

Glory to Ukraine!

There is a difference of opinion on Bakhmut. General Syrsky quoted above is determined to defend it.

A lot of the Western analysts think it should be abandoned.

«

Must be a from a chinese washing machine lol

Pot stirring and then runs off to feedback to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Sorry, couldn't help myself ;D

Aww, you went straight for the "Your Lad's" part of my comment. I wondered if you would :) Telling that you ignored the rest of the post. If you are not Russian, you are at least pro-Russian. Please stop pretending that the defence forces of any democratic state are "your lads" when you clearly love what the Kremlin are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Anybody else starting to think all those videos/reports of Ukrainian soldier's and units rotating out of Bakhmut was a psy ops to make the Russians think they were leaving?

I have to agree with zelenskys decision on not retreating. As long as the dead and wounded ratio is strongly in Ukraines favour why retreat. Every bomb that drop's on Bakhmut from now on is a bomb not dropped one the next town, village or city that lies behind Bakhmut. The city is already ruined. Might as well let Russia burn through as much as possible on it.

I thought the same for Mariupol. Because of the Azov defenders Russia wasted way more resources on that city then they would have liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

NATO chief Stoltenberg turned pro-orc by suggesting Bakhmut could fall in the short term ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

In fairness to 'washing machine' man, Russia was a great nation with many great scientists and thinkers. That they have been dragged down to the level of sub humans and are regarded as the pariahs of the world is a great shame. But it has happened and only Russian citizens can fix that. There are intelligent people still in Russia society who know what needs to be done.

Seems the Ukrainans aren't getting the memo's,

Another name to the list of bakhmut is going to fall ,

But not today Jens ,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Isn't that what everyone is saying? Even Ukraine have admitted as much, but are staying because of the advantage it is giving them (massive russian losses over a town where they have destroyed everything anyway).

Pro-orc would be to imply it was going to be some sort of russian victory or tactical triumph if/when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Well if Ukraine pull out, it would fall.

I doubt even NATO know the exact situation on the ground. If the Russians are loosing 5-7 as many men as Ukraine are (I'd imagine when WIA is taking into account) it could very well be worth the loss of Ukrainian lives.

The next town Russia advance to, Ukraine won't have that advantage. It will be another town shelled to dust with more loss of civilian lives.

Who is this "everyone" that you're talking about?

The only people talking about leaving Bakhmut are the supposed experts on here and in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

I think that a lot of posters are getting mixed up between The USSR and the Federation of Russia/Russia. For example , the breadbasket and development of the nuclear industry during the USSR period was UKRAINE. also, did Ukr not have something along the lines of having the biggest plane in the world and which was destroyed during the Bucha attack. Other states which left the USSR also had their claim to greatness in some aspect/s while they were under the USSR umbrella

when talking About all the wars that The generic Russia was involved in up to 1991 i, they were fought under the USSR umbrella of states - when it had ‘ available’ to it millions of ‘willing’ conscripts as well as the regular army. So did generic Russia’s power as a nation not dramitacially change in the splitting up of the USSR in 1991 - especially in relation to population size , army infrastructure, arnaments manufacture, army related intelligence. Ukraine alone took out a pop of Circa 50 m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

I think that a lot of posters are getting mixed up between The USSR and the Federation of Russia/Russia. For example , the breadbasket and development of the nuclear industry during the USSR period was UKRAINE. also, did Ukr not have something along the lines of having the biggest plane in the world and which was destroyed during the Bucha attack. Other states which left the USSR also had their claim to greatness in some aspect/s while they were under the USSR umbrella

when talking About all the wars that The generic Russia was involved in up to 1991 i, they were fought under the USSR umbrella of states - when it had ‘ available’ to it millions of ‘willing’ conscripts as well as the regular army. So did generic Russia’s power as a nation not dramitacially change in the splitting up of the USSR in 1991 - especially in relation to population size , army infrastructure, arnaments manufacture, army related intelligence. Ukraine alone took out a pop of Circa 50 m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And why the loss of Ukraine's wealth, people, resources from Russia's economic orbit \ dominion and into the orbit of the EU was such a big deal for Russia they went to war.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement