Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,572 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would you like a job in RTE caller with your business acumen?

M

By law you have to accept HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Holly dis, Holly dat

• Am I missing much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They're banned from refusing it and condemned for accepting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

No doubt the vulture funds are rubbing their hands, just waiting for the fire sale of depressed-value houses.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"Dead money rent"

I hate that phrase. I rented all through the boom years ago and all the smart ones said rent is dead money.

I saw lots of my friends get royally f**ked with 100% mortgages on vastly over valued gaffs.

• Being a landlord these days is almost pointless when you are doing it as a business. The amount of tax taken is unreal, and you can’t claim every expense on the tax either. I’ve one modest duplex, great tenants which I am hesitating to give a year’s notice to. I’m a useless business person.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Aha, a man of fame!! Far too sensible & knowledgeable for Joe.

• Advertisement

• Dey does be trying to find a bed, but I may have to sit in a chair for hours. Having plain brain scan, just in case. There is no bed currently available but private hospitals sometimes discharge late in evening after visiting consultant. I’ve been discharged at 10pm at Beacon before.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hodges

• I now have the luxury of a trolley in a private cubicle. Staggering all over the place like an unwell. De brain scan may or may not find such an organ in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Tow

Cawlur, Get better soon.. If you don't mind me asking, what color is de wallpaper in de private corridor?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Other phrases i hate

Accidental landlord

Fell pregnant

Going forward

Forever home

We've a funny Friday coming up

• Me proivate room, fit for a well-paid broadcaster. Served tea & cake on arrival, being taken great care of, and everything they are plan to do well explained to me. Five star hotel breakfast menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Was all great the guy offered going from Waterford with the sewing machine then he finds out she is not in Ballyfermot but in Monasterevin Kildare. All after plugging his business.

Then it all want "wait, what.."

And Joe "we'll sort it out".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

M

• De TV is big, but I haven’t turned it on yet as medics were in and out asking questions, and phone calls to be made a dat. Tomorrow I’ll relax by watching the awful tragic news and I may listen to Liveline for a bit of death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Oh how I wish tomorrow was a funny Friday show. 😊

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I haven't heard the Liveline for the past few days. I don't want ro be giving Joe ideas, so to speak, but Has there been any mention of a Funny Turdsday next week in honour of our painterin saint so to speak?

Post edited by Red Fred on

• Joe Wurkin on Paddy’s Day? Yew must be joking!! He’s not paid dat money.

• One of the better things about going private, cawlurs, food you can actually eat and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Tow

Irish Country Vegetable Soup, dat must be for de wealthy farmers who frequent da establishment.

But were is de Coddle for de honest hard woking, salt of de earth Dub?

A traditional Irish cold weather treat, (all year round basically in Ireland), Dublin Coddle is considered food for the working class. Dubliners will tell you coddle is best enjoyed with a pint of Guinness and plenty of soda bread to soak up the juices. It was reputedly a favourite dish of the writers Seán O'Casey and Jonathan Swift, and it appears in several references to Dublin, including the works of James Joyce.

A hearty coddle is made from leftovers and therefore is without a specific recipe (this leads to heated debate from purists and the new fusion brigade) and typically consists of roughly cut spuds, sliced onions, rashers and sausages.

A traditional coddle did not use carrots.

The word “Coddle” derives from the French term caudle which means to boil gently, parboil or stew.

Apparently, coddle dates back to the first Irish famine in the late 1700s where anything to hand got thrown into the pot.

The famine of 1740–41 was due to extremely cold and then dry weather in successive years, resulting in food losses in three categories: a series of poor grain harvests, a shortage of milk, and frost damage to potatoes. At this time, grains, particularly oats, were more important than potatoes as staples in the diet of most workers.

Families would use up any leftover meat on a Thursday, as Catholics couldn’t eat meat on Fridays. Country people who moved into Dublin to find better work opportunities brought hens and pigs with them to raise for food. After a pig was slaughtered and sold the remains were used to make sausages. The sausages and streaky rashers were boiled up with root vegetables to make a cheap and nutritious meal.

Indeed, before takeaways existed, it was a typical Dublin thing to cook up a pot of coddle early in the day and let it cool down for later. The dish could be reheated for supper after work, or a night out at the pictures, or the pub.

Derek O'Connor from the Sunday Tribune wrote, "the fact that Dubliners have rejected it in favour of kebabs and takeaway pizza is a searing indictment of their moral and spiritual decay."

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I heard a promo of sorts (it was really just Joe mumbling and rambling) very early this morning for not a surprise FunnyFryday on a Turrrrsday next week, but rather on de eve (he’s back at dat shoyte) of St. Patrick’s Day where Joe promises to revive de Irish past-time of storytelling so to speak. I wonder what gathering of literati this will bring to the stewdio (or rather some 5 star hotel I guess) all chaired by de noted awtur and thespian himself. I predict yet another shambolic show.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Joe mentioned it during the week, disappointing it won't be from a graveyard

• Wunderful Wunderful system of medicul records is this country, they asked me to describe what the last neurologist had seen on my past MRI brain & spine results to compare them to the ones to be taken today. He got employment elsewhere and seemingly my records disappeared with his departure.

Reminds me of time when I was booked to have half my right lung removed cos they didn’t have access to private hospital records. I managed to get to private hospital in a hurry to have records released, the old records proved what looked like lung cancer was an old calcified abscess. How many operations have been done to people because of this, and how many diagnoses missed too?

Has anyone been onto Liveline about having had major surgery to investigate what was already known by another hospital to be harmless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hodges

A lung?

Cawlur, sure you’d make a good coddle out of it.

Advertisement