Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I know 7 people in Cork that have gone to Barcelona out of Dublin since the new year. Not only should it be back, but it should be all year round.

At least Girona and Reus start this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I’ve gone via Stansted to a lot of places recently. Madrid is next for Paddy’s weekend. Can’t handle going out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Agree to that. It's great weather most of the year. Currently basking in 20- odd degrees.

Girona isn't a bad option if you make the limited bus schedule to Barcelona where it takes just over an hour to the centre but they're mainly focused on Costa Brava package holidays with that airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Agree barcelona is a v popular destination for a short break anytime of year would be a welcome return if they could get it.

I'd imagine they will need to significantly expand the current passenger screening area, which is fairly tight.

I can't see any other option other than them building out over the current check in area. That will be a big job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

They don't need to build anything, it's an upgrade in place. The delay is most likely due to budget cycles. They need to apply this year, get the money next year and then start the implementation, test and sign off which probably will go line by line and take 18 months or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

I believe Niall McCarthy mentioned at a recent Oireachteas transport committee meeting that there will be a build element to the upgrade - would be good to see the security screening area extended.

Thought as much. The current area is small enough even without a load of new equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... bearing in mind you need extra space as you can't really reduce capacity during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

How are they going to expand it, though? The current area seems pretty wedged in between the airside restaurant on one side, the Loop shop on the other side, and a whole lot of air over the check-in counters. The only way I could realistically see is to build a new screening area on top of the Loop. That's how they solved a similar issue at Liverpool Airport, and there certainly seems to be enough space between the top of the shop and the roof of the terminal.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Its something i always thought was a bit misjudged when the airport was dessigned. Also on arrival the queuing area for passport control. If the airport is going to continue to grow its something the need to get right now if they are going working on it

I doubt there's enough space between above the departures area and the roof to put anything up there. Not with those curved beems.

I think they might have to expand the current screening area/Loop out above the check in area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whispering1

Vueling to pull out of Cork In June

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

• That's a pity, but I suppose Cork to CDG daily is probably meeting demand.

Also, France over the next few months is unlikely to be a very reliable way to transfer anywhere with the industrial relations / pensions stuff situation kicking off.

I'd be routing through LHR or AMS rather than Paris if I were booking ahead.

That Air France is only from March to October so we lose a connection there in the Winter. Both times I've flown from Orly, the plane was full too so it seemed demand was there for me. Would have hoped Vueling would have expanded in Cork rather than pull out completely tbh.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

You would think there is demand for AF to go year round. They planned to go double daily for S20 before covid hit if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

They actually started out as a year-round service but was curtailed to a summer-only service even before the pandemic, in 2018 or 2019. Aer Lingus was still sticking to their own CDG service back then, which probably siphoned off quite a few passengers. Also, and I admit that this may sound harsh, but I find that Leesiders are great at demanding new flights but are unwilling to put their money where their collective mouths are, finding all sorts of excuses to NOT use the services they'd just spent years crying out for.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Agreed, people want full service carriers and flights to everwhere but seem unwilling to pay anything other Ryanair prices, amongst other reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I think the issue is at Orly itself. There is apparently capacity issues there and is the reason behind Vueling cutting the flight. Cutting a flight that's only twice weekly is probably less painful than a busy 7 days a week route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I’m not sure that’s the issue post covid. Pretty much all of the flights are busy out of Cork and have been for the last 12 months or so, the big problem is the massive loss in Aerlingus capacity which hasn’t been replaced.

• I wonder is there a possibility IAG have taken them off the route to make way for Aer Lingus returning to ORK-CDG?

Seems a remarkable walk away from Cork Airport by Aer Lingus since the pandemic. That route was pretty popular.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think people want full service carriers, but are unwilling to pay high prices for Ryanair service on other airlines. The Ryanair model seems to have become the default, and I'm not willing to over the odds for it. On the other hand, if a carrier was offering a better service (eg. more leg room, drinks & snacks/meals included, etc), then I'd happily pay higher prices.

I flew to Amsterdam recently with KLM and it was like a different world from Ryanair/Aer Lingus. Free sandwich & drink, plenty of legroom (comparatively), USB ports on the back of the seats in front of you (newer planes only) - I'd absolutely pay extra to fly KLM again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I wonder will Air France go yearly now with Vueling gone. Or even go double daily again.

They must have had some capacity - they were the only A321 into Cork. Biggest jet at the airport at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Vueleing were only twice weekly so with the A321 it was only 440 seats a week. AirFrance with a daily Embraer would be 700 seats per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The most absurd thing for me is the lack of take-up by the new Aer Lingus Regional. EI have taken a massive step back in Cork

It would be a big loss if nothing failed the gap there. Paris is a major destination and having no route there for 5 months of the year (and a time lots of families would go there with mid terms and Christmas being there with Disneyland) would be a blow.

Like pre covid, it had an Amsterdam schedule with two airlines flying daily there.

• The Aer Lingus Paris routes were pretty busy to pre-COVID and even were busy years and decades gone by when Cork was a lot smaller. It's one of the core routes at the airport. I don't really see why they wouldn't be again.

There's a significantly large connection between Cork and France - with quite a lot of Irish people flying there and French people flying here and people living in both countries.

It should probably just rename itself Aer Dublin at this stage or BA Lite Dublin ☘️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times, what time does security open in Cork Airport for the first flight of the day? Thank you.

Advertisement